Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Ed the Coastie

Default Path/Book Magic -- Books Needed

OK, I'm stuck.

I'm adapting a PC from a previous modern-day campaign into my current one. The previous campaign used Ritual Magic, and the PC knew the following spells:
  • Path of Earth -- Seek Earth
  • Path of Gate -- Seek Gate
  • Path of Healing -- Minor Healing
  • Path of Knowledge -- Divination (Astrology)
  • Path of Water -- Seek Water

The current campaign, however, uses Effect-Shaping Path/Book Magic. I want the character to have knowledge of a Book or three (perhaps in Latin or German, both languages that the PC reads/speaks) that provides him with essentially the same spells as Rituals. Rather than just throw the Rituals willy-nilly into a Book, however, I want the contents of a given Book to make sense as to why the Rituals are in there.

I could even throw a few other spells in the mix, reflecting Rituals that the PC simply has not yet studied very much...for example Seek Fuel could be used to dowse for oil.

Does anyone have any ideas/examples that I could crib? I just can't seem to get things to gel...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Path/Book Magic -- Books Needed

The two obvious groupings to me seem to be knowledge (Seeks and Divination) and healing. You might split the first into Astrology and the rest (dowsing).

I think you can make up any book you want for any arbitrary collection of spells. Did you want real-world book suggestions?

Dowsing:
The Psychometric Pendulum - ES Cumbie
De Re Metallica - Georgius Agricola (actually about mining, but miners have been known to dowse)

Astrology:
Tetrabiblos - Ptolemy
Liber Astronomiae - Guido Bonatti

Healing:
Causae et Curae - Hildegard of Bingen
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
starslayer

Default Re: Path/Book Magic -- Books Needed

I would separate that into two books:

1- The book of knowledge: This can cover all of the seek spells, and the divination spell. It can contain all of the other seek spells, as well as track and seeker.
Potential names:
libro scientiam
libro adagnitio
cognitionomica

2- The book of healing: Can contain that basic healing spell as well as whatever other spells you want to include in the healing category. I'd keep it simple so that you don't end up with resurrection already in reach for basic magic. But basic healing, major healing, restore, healing slumber all seem good.
Potential names:
libro sanitatum
libro valetudo
valintinomica

Last edited by starslayer; 01-05-2013 at 12:46 AM.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
path/book magic