Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #61
Agemegos

Default Re: Something much better than high school

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
He said 3-4 hours at the start but on this page he says....
I said that the schools "encourage pupils to spend three to four hours in guided learning". Also, this situation is an alternative in which "some societies might not care". It is a different scenario.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #62
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Perception definitely CAN be trained, I am just not sure if it WOULD be. It would probably depend a lot on the politics of the society - many governments would prefer a smart but oblivious populace.
I think perception should go up too, but Will is different. I think this kind of schooling would somewhat increace Will through enhanced confidence, but not nearly as much as it would increase the other elements of GURPS IQ.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #63
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Are you proposing IQ 15 as a standard for the system, or is that just for illustrative purposes?
Illustrative purposes. And let me make clear again, I'm suggesting that will would benefit less than the other elements of GURPS IQ from this form of teaching, not that this sort of teaching would weaken the wills of the students. If anything, small increases in willpower, bread by self-confidence gained through achievement, would be more likely. I just see such increases as less than the benefits to other elements of GURPS IQ.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #64
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Maybe I'm too cynical, but I can't quit thinking along these lines:

Phobia (Lack of AI guidance)
Confused (Mitigator: AI advice)
Delusion (An AI will always be there to prevent any serious danger)
All forms of schooling have downsides. Learning to midigate them is vital.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #65
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Sounds like it would also encourage whatever quirks the society considers healthy and productive. Could be Creative or Pragmatic, Chummy or Independent, Humble or Proud. In fact, schools already do this, but this system seems to make it more practical as a consciously directed thing (which will no doubt lead to accusations of indoctrination and brainwashing).
Sunday school, and similar institutions have faced such acusations in the past. Teaching kids always gets into core values territory. That scares folks.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #66
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer
Illustrative purposes. And let me make clear again, I'm suggesting that will would benefit less than the other elements of GURPS IQ from this form of teaching, not that this sort of teaching would weaken the wills of the students. If anything, small increases in willpower, bread by self-confidence gained through achievement, would be more likely. I just see such increases as less than the benefits to other elements of GURPS IQ.
Whew! :)

I'm not keen on the idea of raising elements separately, but I wouldn't have a big problem with, say, a one point difference.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #67
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
What GURPS skills should a student have who was educated in such a school system? Just a wide range of defaults in IQ-based skills?
These folks would have different GURPS defaults than standard. Possibly some skills. Possibly some advantages, talents, or stat boosts.

More generally, GURPS defaults are a convenient high level abstraction, but if you want high fidelity and realism they are very background specific. Using RAW, you can do this with perks. Practically, if it is important for your game, you have some legwork to do defining "default arrays" for various backgrounds. (And if this is for FLAT BLACK, you probably have to, given the massive variety of human backgrounds that might come into contact in that setting.)
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defaults, education, flat black, pedagogy, tl10