Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #19
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Hold Fire in Ogre/GEV

Kicking around the rules description for this...please help get this ironed out.

A unit that could have attacked on it's Fire Phase but did not may instead hold it's fire.
Place a "HOLD FIRE" Token on the unit at the end of it's Fire Phase.
Multiple units holding their fire may use a single HOLD FIRE Token as long as it's clear what units are doing so.
OGREs holding their fire have such weapons doing so temporarily marked on their stat cards.

Units holding their fire are attacked normally in overrun combat. Their HOLD FIRE status remains after the overrun is completed.

A unit must have a HOLD FIRE Token on it designating as such in order to use HOLD FIRE. If no Token is placed, no HOLD FIRE is considered.

Question/Suggestion: Should a unit that is holding fire be allowed to use it's HOLD FIRE before it is overrun, and then overrun is resolved normally?

Question/Suggestion: Should a unit that is holding fire be allowed to use it's HOLD FIRE before it is rammed, and then ramming is resolved normally?

Question/Suggestion: How should OGRE weapons holding fire be handled? There are a few variations possible:

1) OGRE weapons may HOLD FIRE but all OGRE weapons must HOLD FIRE as a group. Either all weapons are holding fire or none are.

2) OGRE weapons may HOLD FIRE only if they are of the same type as a group. Main Batteries, Secondary Batteries, AP Guns, External Missiles, Missile Racks.

3) OGRE weapons may HOLD FIRE with any number of it's weapons.

#1 would be the easiest to keep track of and I prefer it but am also favoring #2. That's more tracking, but may be worth it grouped by weapon type. I think #3 would be way too much to handle and track. Imagine tracking AP Guns...imagine a MARK6...

I also think it would be best if GEV attacks against OGREs holding their fire were resolved first and any Xed OGRE weapons or treads would take effect immediately. Then the OGRE holding fire attacks with whatever weapons are left. Otherwise, if it's simultaneous, the OGRE becomes too powerful.
By having the GEV attacks resolved this way, such attacks could reduce the number of OGRE attacks before the OGRE would get to attack the GEVs.

I really like what this does to GEVs vs OGREs. Much more nail-biting suspense from the GEV pilots perspective. It really fills the no-combat gap that I never cared for. Of course this needs play-testing, but my initial sense is it seems to work very well.

After some more play-testing, I noticed you can use HOLD FIRE on units closest to the enemy that are out of move/attack range and not move them any closer while waiting for reinforcements to come up for more combined fire power as you give them Hold Fire, waiting for the enemy to attack at which point you can return HOLD FIRE with more attack strength by maneuvering your units this way. I keep seeing more interesting opportunities for stuff like this. This tactic of course must be considered against the possible better tactic of just outright attacking in the first place instead.
Another example of Hold Fire being used in unexpected cool ways, GEVs can move their 1st Movement Phase then Hold Fire on their Fire Phase then move their Secondary Movement for a maximum move of 7 hexes and be at Hold Fire. This creates some interesting tactical maneuvering I haven't fully explored yet. Basically, you can move a GEV deep into enemy lines, especially behind an OGRE and get to attack if the OGRE and or other units are in range on their Fire Phase.

Question: To be clear, a unit that holds it's fire only gets to use it on the enemy Fire Phase, simultaneously, correct?
And HOLD FIRE counts as that units fire for their own turn, is the correct?
I mean, they wouldn't get to then also make their normal attack on their own fire phase after that would they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
Would hold fire make the PBI even less likely to survive, though?
Right now, once the Other has been brought down to M2, the PBI can stay "behind" the Ogre and the Ogre has to choose to spend a turn not moving to mow then down with AP, or advance towards the objectives. With Hold Fire, the Ogre can just hold fire and attack the infantry as they approach. That's as much of a change as an ME Ones not being able to catch a GEV
You could add Infantry and Marines to the units that would get to attack first in the suggestion rule I mentioned for GEVs vs OGREs. All other units make simultaneous attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
With Hold Fire, the Ogre can just hold fire and attack the infantry as they approach. That's as much of a change as an ME Ones not being able to catch a GEV
Sorry, can you clarify this...what's a ME?

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 02-13-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote