Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #111
Mack_JB

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Pulling this thread up to the fore.

Is there any update on the LAD (Light Artillery Drone) rules?

I have the 2016 file that SJG released, but can't see anything recent in the archives in terms of discussion of the unit.

Mainly I'm asking this: If the LAD is set someplace at game beginning, palletized as a potential defensive unit, do you just say "I am activating these now", or do you roll a die for activation (1-3 = no, 4-6 = yes)? Begin the game with them already emplaced and activated? If palletized and they automatically set themselves up, I am thinking that they start setting up on their Turn 1, and can fire on their Turn 2?

Thoughts?
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #112
HeatDeath

These are the most current LAD rules: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/new-units/lad.html

And yep, it looks like you just say "I am activating it" at the beginning of your turn. It will spend that turn unpacking itself. You can fire it next turn. No die roll for activation - a palletized LAD isn't disabled and trying to recover. it's just folded up.

The rules text could probably make this a little clearer, but this is almost certainly how it works - basically steps 2 and 3 of the unloading and setup process.
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #113
Leonidas
Banned

Leonidas needs help here. I am having an issue with SHVY Tanks. I see that multiple D results have no effect. However, if a SHVY Tank (disabled in the previous turn) gets a disabled result as a side outcome on his optional damage chart (and not on the standard CRT), I should just ignore it? And the SHVY tank will recover as nothing has happened. I understand that multiple or subsequent D results on CRT do not are ignored and the SHVY tank will recover based on the timing of the first D result. However, a disabled status on the optional damage chart can happen only after a X result which allows to do the second roll on the optional damage chart. Are these situations always treated the same?

Second issue about troop transport. I am wondering if it would make more sense if the INF could dismount the vehicle on any adjacent hex, and then stop. Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks.

Leonidas
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #114
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Leonidas needs help here. I am having an issue with SHVY Tanks. I see that multiple D results have no effect. However, if a SHVY Tank (disabled in the previous turn) gets a disabled result as a side outcome on his optional damage chart (and not on the standard CRT), I should just ignore it? And the SHVY tank will recover as nothing has happened. I understand that multiple or subsequent D results on CRT do not are ignored and the SHVY tank will recover based on the timing of the first D result. However, a disabled status on the optional damage chart can happen only after a X result which allows to do the second roll on the optional damage chart. Are these situations always treated the same?

Second issue about troop transport. I am wondering if it would make more sense if the INF could dismount the vehicle on any adjacent hex, and then stop. Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks.

Leonidas
Not quite following what you are asking about the SHVY. I think you are saying you are using Optional rule 13.07 for partial damage? If that's the case, then yes; a second Disabled result against an already disabled SHVY has no effect, regardless where that second D result came from. The important part is "D results don’t combine into an X."

As for the INF dismounting; INF are able to dismount at any time during the transport's movement, as long as the INF have not also mounted in the same turn. There is nothing that says INF have to ride a unit its full movement before dismounting; they can get off at any point.

From a scale perspective, think about how having them dismount to an adjacent hex would allow too much movement. They could ride a SHVY for 3 hexes, then dismount into a fourth hex, effectively doubling their movement. That also means they would be jumping an additional 1.5km away from the unit they were riding, which doesn't make sense. Dismounting is meant to be "getting off the unit in the same hex" which is a lot more reasonable; especially since dismounting takes all their movement for the turn to do it.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #115
Leonidas
Banned

Thank you very much. You understood my issue correctly, despite my poor English.

Maybe something on 13.07 colud be added to clarify that a second disable on the SHVY has no effect, notwithstanding the source (CRT OR optional damage table) and will not delay the SHVY’s recover in any way.
But maybe it’s just me having hard time to deal with it.

Thank you also for the clarification on the INF trasport. You are right, and I used the rule right. it’s just that I love marines, and I wanted to boost them up a little bit.

Thanks again. It’s the second time I am having isdues with the SHVY, but I wanted to be extra sure!
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #116
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Thank you very much. You understood my issue correctly, despite my poor English.

Maybe something on 13.07 colud be added to clarify that a second disable on the SHVY has no effect, notwithstanding the source (CRT OR optional damage table) and will not delay the SHVY’s recover in any way.
But maybe it’s just me having hard time to deal with it.

Thank you also for the clarification on the INF trasport. You are right, and I used the rule right. it’s just that I love marines, and I wanted to boost them up a little bit.

Thanks again. It’s the second time I am having isdues with the SHVY, but I wanted to be extra sure!
Using the optional rules for the SHVY does complicate things; it's not just you trying to interpret the rules. :-) The easiest way to remember it is if you think of the partial damage SHVY like a mini-ogre. It's possible to disable the unit, but multiple disables won't kill it (in other words, to kill it, you _need_ an X just like an Ogre).
Old 03-16-2018, 01:16 AM   #117
BlackHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHat View Post
So is there an updated version or final draft available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
We are working on it. I know, not the best answer, but the best one I can give at the moment. :/

Jen
Its been a few years, and I cant recall seeing an update to the Ogre: Designer Edition Rule book. (An actual update of the PDF rule book would be great, or at least an Errata/FAQ sheet)

I was reminded of this when I got a notice from W23 of an updated "Scenario Book 2" a few days ago.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #118
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHat View Post
Its been a few years, and I cant recall seeing an update to the Ogre: Designer Edition Rule book. (An actual update of the PDF rule book would be great, or at least an Errata/FAQ sheet)

I was reminded of this when I got a notice from W23 of an updated "Scenario Book 2" a few days ago.
There's a PDF with updated rules buried in a KS update from earlier this year in conjunction with some of the recent Minis projects.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #119
Deimos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
There's a PDF with updated rules buried in a KS update from earlier this year in conjunction with some of the recent Minis projects.
Do you mean the OM Set 2 update from here? That's for the Battle Box rules. It should cover all of the ODE stuff, but I haven't gone through it to verify that it does.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #120
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
Do you mean the OM Set 2 update from here? That's for the Battle Box rules. It should cover all of the ODE stuff, but I haven't gone through it to verify that it does.
It does. It is specifically meant to be the next edition of the full rules.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote