Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
chrisd

Default Setting Campaign Base TL

I'm not sure if my searching skills are letting me down here but is there a way of setting the Campaign Option Base TL from a GDF?
chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Setting Campaign Base TL

No, there's not. But there should be.

At present, it always sets a new character's TL based on the Base TL set in Campaign Settings. But, in fact, it would make a lot of sense to have all the options in Campaign Settings settable from the data files.

I'll look into that, but for now, I'm afraid they have to be set manually.

Armin
Old 05-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
shinygm

I have also noticed other TL related oddities. Am I wrong, or is the only way to preset the base TL for a character is to do it before creation? There is a button (a globe icon) which suggests that it would update a (mistakenly un-updated) TL listing, but when I enter the data it does not update TL related entries on the character sheet. Nor does it remember the TL from one character to another. It's more of an annoyance than a bug.

I'm running 4.0.21, which I *think* is the most recent version. I'm running it on Win XP.

It would be appreciated if this functionality were made possible in your "Copious Spare Time". ;-) Or, if there is a way to enable this behavior on my own, I'm eager to hear about it!

By the way, THANK YOU Armin, for giving up your life for this project. IT means that even arithmetic-addled brains like mine can still play GURPS with perfectly point-balanced characters!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinygm View Post
I have also noticed other TL related oddities. Am I wrong, or is the only way to preset the base TL for a character is to do it before creation? There is a button (a globe icon) which suggests that it would update a (mistakenly un-updated) TL listing, but when I enter the data it does not update TL related entries on the character sheet. Nor does it remember the TL from one character to another. It's more of an annoyance than a bug.
The globe that calls up Campaign Settings will let you change the character's TL for subsequent skills, but will not update ones you already have on the sheet. Since many people and games use characters with differing TLs, I don't want the change of the setting to automatically change all TL skills, as that may not be what you intended. Which means to offer the option would require asking the user which skills they want to adjust, which means another form, which I just haven't taken the time to do.

If you want to change the Default TL for all characters that you create in the future, that's an option that you set in Options, on the Default Character Options tab. You can also change the default settings for character points and limits, your preferred character sheet, and a few miscellaneous other things on that tab.

Quote:
It would be appreciated if this functionality were made possible in your "Copious Spare Time". ;-) Or, if there is a way to enable this behavior on my own, I'm eager to hear about it!
The "change TL and change the affected skills" thing is on the list of things to do, but when it might happen, I don't know. The other stuff you mentioned I addressed above.

Quote:
By the way, THANK YOU Armin, for giving up your life for this project. IT means that even arithmetic-addled brains like mine can still play GURPS with perfectly point-balanced characters!
You're welcome. Thanks for the thanks.

Armin