Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
Nebless

Default Re: Interesting Solitaire Concept

I heard about it a while ago and being an old S&T and Ares subber remembered the game: Deathmaze which is the same concept as Four Against Darkness.

And what's even better is the fact that the rules, counters etc.... are all free downloads from BroadgamerGeek;

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3625/deathmaze

I went ahead and downloaded the set and then took the dungeon counters and game counters files over to my local print shop and had them put on some nice card stock.

Haven't played a game of it yet, but see no problem in matching the Deathmaze monsters with TFT like monsters.
Nebless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
JLV

Yeah, I had Deathmaze (and the game that inspired it, Citadel of Blood, also from Ares, based on the SPI game Swords & Sorcery) -- it was interesting. Frankly, after reading the various reviews, I'm more intrigued by a couple of other "solitaire-ish" games now than I am 4AD.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Yeah, I had Deathmaze (and the game that inspired it, Citadel of Blood, also from Ares, based on the SPI game Swords & Sorcery) -- it was interesting. Frankly, after reading the various reviews, I'm more intrigued by a couple of other "solitaire-ish" games now than I am 4AD.

Yes JLV, there are loads of them out there. The one's that come to mind are the D&D adventure games, Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, etc. I have some of them and they're OK. They don't have the tactical depth of TFT, but they have minis, dungeon tiles and other quality components and they allow a group of players to dungeon crawl (in a very limited fashion) with no DM.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
JLV

Actually, Chris, the one I'm intrigued by now is called Ancient Odyssey: Treasure Awaits -- it seems to be a more complete and "realistic" system, in that it has a lot more options for it than 4AD does.

I'm still reading reviews, though, and may come up with something even better. The interesting thing about AOTA is that it also includes rules for both wilderness and town adventures -- which strikes towards that discussion about Gloomhaven that's been going on elsewhere on the threads! ;-)

Jeff
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote