Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #41
woodchuck

Default Re: Sooo . . .What do you want?

The Combine minis.
The missing Ogres.
Both Pan Euro and Combine Cruse Missile Crawlers and the lasers to shoot the cruse missiles down, maybe in a combined set.
Combine and Pan Euro structures if possible, it might be easier to make buildings faction neutral.
Ogrethulhu and friends.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #42
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
some consideration needs to be given to the thermocline - it makes a huge difference for submarine tactics and still will in the Last War.
Would just letting things under the thermocline be unidentified decoys be enough?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #43
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Would just letting things under the thermocline be unidentified decoys be enough?
I really think this should go to its own thread.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #44
wolf90

Thank you, everyone, for your enthusiastic responses! Please keep the ideas coming! Many of your suggestions dovetail with my ideas, but I'd by lying if I didn't say you've come up with some new concepts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
For new material, I'ld like to see a minor power, say Nordic States, that still relies on a lot of archaic armour would allow for filling in some unit gaps like Light Howitzer and Mobile Light Howitzer, plus Naval units of varying sizes providing coastline support, and a good reason to have scenarios with Mk.I and Mk.II Ogres.
Would Nova Brasilia fit the bill? I'm playing around with something very similar to what you're describing.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #45
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Would Nova Brasilia fit the bill? I'm playing around with something very similar to what you're describing.
Yes, that would fit fine. I was thinking Nordic because fjords. The Amazon River and its delta would certainly give plenty of littoral terrain for the purpose!

Nova Brasilia would give some very interesting new map options.

And 30'–50' long Anacondas would keep the Marines on their toes :3

Last edited by Cat; 06-14-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #46
sparky00

"For new material, I'ld like to see a minor power, say Nordic States, that still relies on a lot of archaic armour would allow for filling in some unit gaps like Light Howitzer and Mobile Light Howitzer, plus Naval units of varying sizes providing coastline support, and a good reason to have scenarios with Mk.I and Mk.II Ogres."

I believe Hong Kong has some real potential here. Its port facilities, commercial center & road & rail links directly to mainland factories make it a very high value target. It is also fragile, and does not have heavy armor or Ogres garrisoned there- you cannot be slinging nukes around in the ports or the cities. Coastal defenses are laser towers/ turrets powered by a reactor on lamma island, just south of Hong Kong island.

An invader must neutralize the defenses, secure & hold the ports, secure and hold the cities, secure & hold the roads, rails & bridges to the mainland, then move inland to capture the factories in order to have a successful invasion. Land forces will be primarily Marines & GEV's, attacking from the sea and supported by naval forces. Defenders will be largely infantry, coastal defense lasers, archaic armor & light artillery, some GEV's and militia.

IIRC, the existing lore has 2 distinct periods of combat in Hong Kong - the Nihon invasion (Nihon v China, maybe with a mercenary force, the North American Volunteer Group, operating PE GEV's painted with tiger stripes and shark's mouths on the front skirts) and the Reconquest of Hong Kong (Nihon defending, NAC attacking (maybe with contracted SoON armor support).

The complexities of amphibious assault, balanced with the need to limit destruction to infrastructure, and multiple objectives to seize & hold with limited forces could make for some very interesting scenarios. If the infrastructure is destroyed, then it becomes a meat-grinding slug-fest for territory.

Key features:
Amphibious assault, with naval support.
Littoral operations around the islands & coastline.
Coastal defense.
High value, fragile infrastructure limiting the use of heavy forces, at least initially.
Multiple objectives.
2 distinct periods, with different forces attacking & defending.
Introduces China faction ( Dragon rushed from R&D straight to battle to defend the mainland?).
Possibility for a really cool map board.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #47
Dave Crowell

Nova Brazilia would be an excellent addition to the game as it already features in the future history. The Battle of Montreal could also be interesting as a boxed set.

I would love to see the rest of the miniatures in plastic.

Macrotures or large scale miniatures of the classic units for desk top deisplay would rock.

Assault Packs with chipboard units would be nice.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #48
RedLeif508

Thanks for asking.
- I ‘d like all 4 committed projects completed. If I could wave a magic wand I’d reorder them as follows:
- 1. K.S. Mk VI and Dopplesoldner minis
- 2. Minis sets 3 and 4 (combine versions of 1 and 2) with different Ogres/CP’s (I’s + II’s, & IIIb’s + MobCP), I don’t need more III’s and V’s (besides they’re in W23 for now as individual sprews if I do). I really want to finish my minis (plastic) collection.
- 3. Battlefields
- 4. Nightfall

- I ‘d buy an Annual or bi- annual Ogrezine

- Uncommon Ogres box o’ minis: box of plastic minis of Ninjas, Samurai, Oni, Golems, Vulcans.

- PDF Maps/Printed Paper maps, G3/S3 +, PDF map resources: “Overlay sheets - PDFs you can print of a single terrain type, useful for creating large overlays of any shape and size” from Offsides post #37 this thread.

- I’d buy a G1 and/or Ogre fabric or foam backed (ie mousepad like) map.

- I would buy a scenario book/pdf resource with other nations (Nihon [s.e. asia], Israeli, Nordic) scenarios, units, and what have you.

- While I liked Battlesuit as a teenager (‘83), I couldn’t find anyone to play against. I’d be interested in seeing what SJG came up with in a relaunch before I’d support on KS or buying. I’d be more inclined towards minis (25-30mm range) rather than action figures (3”-4”).

- I am _not_ an Ogrethulu fan. No interest at all in that direction.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #49
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
I'll support just about anything that comes out for Ogre, but we need to hit some "sweet spots" that will draw new players into the game. The worst thing about Ogre is that the base of players is too small. Its a great system and deserves a bigger base.
I've mentioned this before, the CRT and it's inherent method of determining things in the game can be potentially off-putting to new players. I luv the game, but that was my experience when I first played it back in the 70's when 1st edition was published. If OGRE could somehow be more Beer & Pretzels than sophisticated Beer & Pretzels, I guarantee we would see a larger fan base.

Also, a new Rules Companion and OGRE rewrite of the rules as an option, could only help us gain more OGRE fans.

Something that greatly helps me, and a couple other OGRE fans that used them said they really like them are OGRE AI CRT Dice:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57687325267716
However, they are not 100% accurately replacing the CRT when negatives to be hit are in the game vs NINJAs and Rangers because at 1to1 odds using -1 to hit, a roll of 4 is a D while column shifting to the left by 1 is a NE. This only becomes an issue when attacking Rangers though which is why I suggest having the option to column shift in the rules as long as all players are agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Should we avoid that as a thing in The Last War? Sensor nets and drones are thick enough on the land that every unit is detected and identified - at least after the first turn. The same handwavium could apply for KISS. Or we could add some decoy rules - all things are detected, but not IDed. Some are decoys.
I like the all things are detectable, but not IDed.

This is the best I could come up with so far:

To confirm a Building/Structure, after the searching units movement is done, roll a D6. The searching unit has to roll higher than the number of hexes it is away from the target for successful identification.

5 Hexes Away = (Fail on 1-5 / Succeed on a 6)
4 Hexes Away = (Fail on 1-4 / Succeed on a 5-6)
3 Hexes Away = (Fail on 1-3 / Succeed on a 4-6)
2 Hexes Away = (Fail on 1-2 / Succeed on a 3-6)
1 Hex Away = (Fail on 1 / Succeed on a 2-6)
__________________________________________________ ________

And a few more updated ideas I'd like to see:

MEEPLE styled OGRE units.

3D terrain tiles for mountains or other terrain that could be made:
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/medium/.../pic830477.jpg
Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #50
sparky00

Ogre isn't a beer & pretzels game? I always thought so - that's what love about it.
I was raised on Avalon Hill CRT's with 25 columns, 30 rows and two pages of modifier calcs. I always loved the simplicity of Ogre's CRT. Part of the genius of the game.

That said, I've been kicking around the idea of some sort of fancy rendition of the CRT. Big, colorful- something about the size of a coaster, that can sit on the table proudly on the table next to the dice tray.

If it's more of a feature, maybe it will be more accessible to new players. Most of the new players I've introduced in the last year have grasped it right away though.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote