Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
ZmbeHntr

Default [Magic] Sunbolt Damage

Sunbolt lists that a hit to the eyes does double damage.

Is this in addition to the normal x4 wounding modifier for hitting the eyes? So a successful eye strike with Sunbolt does x8 damage?

Or is the double damage instead of the normal x4 wounding modifier?
ZmbeHntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [Magic] Sunbolt Damage

No. There is no damage multiplier for Burning Damage, which is what Sunbolt deals. Only Piercing and Impaling damage has the wounding modifier you're thinking of.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
ZmbeHntr

Enough burning damage done to the skull to bypass DR still gets a x4 wounding modifier.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

I stand corrected!
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
ZmbeHntr

Kromm mentioned in another thread that Sunbolt should have been labeled as tight beam burning.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=42561&page=3

As a tight beam burning attack, Sunbolt would be able to target the eyes and get the normal x4 wounding modifier for doing so. However, Sunbolt says it does double damage to the eyes. This could mean it doubles the x4 multiplier, netting x8 damage to the eyes (which is scary). It could also mean that Sunbolt ignores the x4 wounding modifier and replaces it with a x2 instead (kinda lame).

Like a lot of things in Magic, the description is just not clear enough to know the intent. Hence my question.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
jacobmuller

Each time the question of multiplying Wound Modifiers crops up, the answer has been: no.

Near as I can tell, a 3d-3 Sunbolt hitting the Eyes for 1 point of damage does 4 Injury to the Eyes, if this is greater than HP/10, you're blind, if it isn't, make a HT-4 check or you're blind. And take 4 Injury to the Skull while you're at it. I'm hoping that's a total of 4 Injury.

The Kromm quote:
Quote:
we'd make Sunbolt a burning attack instead of a peculiar "impaling laser."

Last edited by jacobmuller; 03-16-2013 at 05:16 PM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
ZmbeHntr

The errata has already corrected Sunbolt to be a burning attack. The errata did not change the double damage to the eyes part though.

4 injury to the eyes and 4 injury to the skull is not 4 injury total. It's 8 injury.

I agree with you though that it should just be the normal x4 wounding modifier for hitting the eyes.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Anthony

I interpret all that as meaning that sunbolt will do x2 damage on an eye shot vs creatures with IT(No Brain), since the standard is that wounding multipliers don't stack.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

I interpret the x2 for the eyes isn't a wounding modifier at all. Sunbolt at it's heart a light based attack. It simple does more damage to the eyes. Wounding modifier for it being a burning attack to the eyes (and over penetration to brain) comes when determining the injury.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
ZmbeHntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I interpret the x2 for the eyes isn't a wounding modifier at all. Sunbolt at it's heart a light based attack. It simple does more damage to the eyes. Wounding modifier for it being a burning attack to the eyes (and over penetration to brain) comes when determining the injury.
Interesting. So you would say that if a Sunbolt rolled for 1 damage actually hit an enemy's eye, it would do 2 damage since it was an eye. Then, since it was an eye, it would get a x4 wounding modifier to become 8 HP injury (assuming that whatever was hit actually has a brain). That would automatically blind that eye on anything up to HP 80. Scary, but that does sound like a perfectly reasonable interpretation to me.