Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Anaximander

Default TL9 Wheeled APC

I'm desperately new to statting vehicles or even using them in my games. I have some great papercraft models that I am using to represent the vehicles in my game and this particular one is a wheeled APC at TL 9 with a weapon mount. A link to the assembled model follows.

http://www.genetmodels.com/shop.php#...oduct=12388632

What would be appropriate stats for a vehicle such as this? Thanks all for your help.
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Dewey

Default Re: TL9 Wheeled APC

Do you want 4th or 3rd edition stats first of all? I can have a go at mocking up a 4th editions stat block based on real-world stuff if you want, but I'll need some more details than just the picture. How many people does it carry, how fast did you imagine it going, and how heavily armored is it?

For now I'm just gonna make up some 4e figures based on what's in High Tech, Ultra Tech, and Campaigns. I'll make a new post for them and you can give me feedback.

Last edited by Dewey; 06-16-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Anaximander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Do you want 4th or 3rd edition stats first of all? I can have a go at mocking up a 4th editions stat block based on real-world stuff if you want, but I'll need some more details than just the picture. How many people does it carry, how fast did you imagine it going, and how heavily armored is it?
4th edition please. I could provide more info, but I am not sure what would be appropriate, really. Feel free to go off of real-world stuff and give it some TL 9 improvements. I'll answer your questions, but understand these are my assumptions and not my expectations. It has 2 crew and carries 10 passengers. I imagine it can go anywhere between 75 and 90 mph, but I'm not sure about acceleration. And it has NIJ level IV armor rating in the form of steel or composite plates, so about 50 DR. Not sure about the windows.
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Dewey

TL9 6x6 APC

ST/HP 120, Hnd/SR -1/5, HT 11, Move 3/40, Lwt 15, Load 2, SM +4, Occ 2+10, DR 50, Range 300, Cost $3,000,000, Locations 6WgX.

Design Notes:
I didn't put it into a table because I'm lazy and I'm sure that someone else will come along and do a better job, but this should give a good starting point. the figures are based mainly on the up-armored Humvee on HT 242, the M1114 to be precise, and the TL7 APC in the Basic Set, page 463. Max speed in MPH is twice the second number under speed, so 80MPH. It's a little lumbering at first, but it can go pretty fast when it gets up to speed. the loaded weight is heavier than the TL7 APC, but lighter than Wikipedia's figure for a Stryker APC, so there's that. Cost is based on the Stryker as well. One thought that I had was that 10 passengers might be pushing it in terms of realism. IMHO 8 would be a more realistic number. As for windows I decided to just give the whole thing DR50 (Because it's TL9 and they probably have cool bullet-proof clear stuff), but added a "Small windows" hit location. And an exposed weapon station because the product description mention it having options for weapons. as produced that'd probably just be a pintle mount or something like that, but in a warzone you'd want an actual turret, which could be remote-controlled or manned depending on what you want to do. And I didn't even try to decide what kind of electronics it would have. Anyway I hope you like it, and sorry for rambling on.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Brandon_Corey

The Wheeled ATV from Ultra-Tech, p. 225, seems to be more or less what you need.
Brandon_Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
I have some great papercraft models that I am using to represent the vehicles in my game and this particular one is a wheeled APC at TL 9 with a weapon mount. A link to the assembled model follows.
That looks like a TL8 6x6 MRAP to me...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That looks like a TL8 6x6 MRAP to me...
Except maybe for the underside. You can't see the crucial area but if it's flat-bottomed rather than diamond corss-sectioned it won't be mine resistant.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Except maybe for the underside. You can't see the crucial area but if it's flat-bottomed rather than diamond corss-sectioned it won't be mine resistant.
It's a papercraft model. I'm assuming the underside is just notional. I think it's supposed to be a TL8 vehicle. I don't see anything about it that says otherwise. It looks like a 6x6.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's a papercraft model. I'm assuming the underside is just notional. I think it's supposed to be a TL8 vehicle. I don't see anything about it that says otherwise. It looks like a 6x6.
I was mostly agreeing with you.

From wat the OP said it has the armament profile of a Humvee but would appear to have more interior room. That would be about the msot I could tell anybody.