Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Supernatural Durability at -10 x HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
it bares to wither your Dodge is half current dodge, or if it is recalculated from halved basic speed.
JCurwen was asking if the reductions went together or not. He did not inquire after how much they were reduced.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
Retcon

Am I correct in thinking that a character must already be in negative HP to be destroyed by the single attack of -10xHP ?

I mean if a character with Supernatural Durability is HP 10 then damage of 100 HP would reduce them to -90.
Retcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
Am I correct in thinking that a character must already be in negative HP to be destroyed by the single attack of -10xHP ?

I mean if a character with Supernatural Durability is HP 10 then damage of 100 HP would reduce them to -90.
It would be reasonable to say that either you bring them down to 0 or lower first, OR you deal 11x hp in one hit.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
"Vampiric Invulnerability" and it was designed to mimic the rules from WW's Vampire 1e.
There were 2 "Vampiric Invulnerabilities in 3rd ed, the one in GURPS: VtM [100 points] and the one that first appeared in Blood Types [150 points]. Supernatural Durability Appears to based on the one that appeared in Blood Types though it's been massively depowered since then.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I don't think so; any attack that does 10XHP should kill you.
Quote:
Yes and kill them.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #26
JCurwen3

Quote:

I'd say it's a reasonable rule for any character, if they take that much damage all at once, they're dead (excluding the Unkillable).
Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #27
Retcon

Thanks for all your comments guys. To be honest though I am still in two minds.
I find the advantage description to be surprisingly unclear on this.
Although I agree that damage of -10xHP should annihilate anyone automatically this advantage already seems to fly in the face of GURPS baseline rules. Almost like a Cosmic Advantage.
I would welcome any further views or discussion.

Last edited by Retcon; 06-09-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Retcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #28
Jeff BlackJack

From the Basic Set, p.419:
Quote:
-10xHP – Total bodily destruction, if this makes sense given the source of the damage – 200 points of arrow wounds leave a messy but recognizable corpse; 200 points of fire injury leaves nothing but an unrecognizable lump of charcoal. The difference can be important in settings where resurrection, reanimation, etc. are possible!
That means that your corpse is totally destructed. You can't act anymore, no matter how your HP came to be this low. You are not dead nor unconcious, but in effect, you don't have a body anymore.
Since you can't die and are conscious, your seat of consciouness is in your husk of "not-body". So, in order to kill you, someone must deal 1hp of damage from your weakness.

In other words: you can't act anymore, you can't have your hp lower than -10xhp, but you are still alive and conscious.
Jeff BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
Dead Monky

With that low of health, I just assume the body's been blown up, incinerated, chopped into tiny, tiny pieces, crushed into goo, or so on and move on.

But there are several things in myth and fiction that can come back from any of those. (I have a few in my game world.) I'd probably assume that if they aren't really dead, just mostly dead, the little bits and nugglets of their smooshed up corpse can wiggle back together and rebuild the guy/monster. Sort of like T-1000 but with meat.

Or you could work with the assumption that it's more akin to egregious organ trauma. The bones and muscles and whatnot are all still mostly sort of intact, but all the organs and other bits of vital viscera are all so chopped up, mangled, and missing that their innards look like a sack of hamburger.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #30
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
By better do you mean he heals to normal, or is this like a Dragonball Saiyen where recovering from intense injury ups his power level? I need to brush up on my F13 lore, but I remember that space-vacuum Jason did seem stronger than the original one. As did the one who could take on Freddy. Any mechanics in GURPS to reflect such an ability?
Heals normally. Space Jason was just him deciding to spend a bunch of points he's gathered over the years.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, hit points, supernatural durability