Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Well... instead of being inconvenient because the other guy gets away with it, how about not? The thread was called, "Suggestion for bases with DFRPG," after all.
I wasn't saying that they should, but rather that this would be a product with an existing market well beyond DFRPG.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Pseudonym
 
Pseudonym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I wasn't saying that they should, but rather that this would be a product with an existing market well beyond DFRPG.
Ah, so what I misunderstood is that you are trying to say, "it is a failure of the other guys as well, and if some miraculous innovation of material science was developed by SJ Games that allowed someone to fit an entire TWO figures that are nominally a few millimeters thick inside of a 1 square inch (nominally, several hundred square millimeters) area, it could change the balance of power forever because now everyone, no matter what system they use, can finally do close combat on a map without the stands getting in each other's ways."

Neat angle. c:
__________________
Blog Running Games on Tuesday (online). Playing Sunday.
Pseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Ah, so what I misunderstood is that you are trying to say, "it is a failure of the other guys as well, and if some miraculous innovation of material science was developed by SJ Games that allowed someone to fit an entire TWO figures that are nominally a few millimeters thick inside of a 1 square inch (nominally, several hundred square millimeters) area, it could change the balance of power forever because now everyone, no matter what system they use, can finally do close combat on a map without the stands getting in each other's ways."

Neat angle. c:
I meant it less hyperbolically epic than that, but yeah.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #14
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated
 
Turhan's Bey Company's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
How about... bases that let two SM+0 characters engage in C-range combat?
Excellent idea. I've added a single-hex stand capable of holding two figures to my set of 3d-printable paper miniature stand designs.
__________________
I've been making pointlessly shiny things, and I've got some gaming-related stuff as well as 3d printing designs.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #15
MIB.6361
 
MIB.6361's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Excellent idea. I've added a single-hex stand capable of holding two figures to my set of 3d-printable paper miniature stand designs.
That's a great idea. I could also see a secondary slot being used for a specific item being carried (like treasures in Wiz-War), being possessed, a wounded, unconscious, or small character being carried by another, etc.
__________________
Jessie/MIB 6361
Arizona Men in Black Cell Leader
MIB.6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #16
philreed
Chief Executive Officer
 
philreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Is that practical to manufacture, though?

Not at all practical. We would have to retool -- which would cost thousands of dollars -- and sales of extra bases wouldn't be all that useful since it would replicate the numbers.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #17
Tom H.
 
Tom H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin Area
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
If SJ Games does a reprint of the bases here is a suggestion:

Sequentially number each base.

That way I can write a 1 and track everything that happens to that otherwise (almost) identical monster off board.

eg four corpse golems numbered 1 - 4 vs having to remember which is which.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Not at all practical. We would have to retool -- which would cost thousands of dollars -- and sales of extra bases wouldn't be all that useful since it would replicate the numbers.
Another option would be to produce sheets of small stickers.

These could be affixed to the miniature base or the cardboard miniature itself.

The stickers could allow for much creativity. More than just numbers and codes, you could add colors, heraldry, and meaningful icons.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

You could number the cardboard figures. This is what Paizo does.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #19
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Another option would be to produce sheets of small stickers.

These could be affixed to the miniature base or the cardboard miniature itself.

The stickers could allow for much creativity. More than just numbers and codes, you could add colors, heraldry, and meaningful icons.
Such stickers are already widely available.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #20
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Suggestion for bases with DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Not at all practical. We would have to retool -- which would cost thousands of dollars -- and sales of extra bases wouldn't be all that useful since it would replicate the numbers.
Then I suggest a small number on each cardboard hero of a particular type.

I also suggest releasing coloured bases in a set of all red or all gold etc. That way elites, wounded, stunned etc can all have the same colour base.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You could number the cardboard figures. This is what Paizo does.
And Gloomhaven
lachimba is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bases, dfrpg, gurps, monsters

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.