Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default [Powers] Triggering Alternate Form Upon "Death"

How would you build this? A character that, upon dying in their base form, they actually don't die, but switch to a more powerful Alternate Form? In that form if they're killed, they really do die. The idea is that the "dead" base form heals (from death) completely (or nearly so) on transformation to the alternate form, but then while in that form the damage is reciprocal to the base form. The "upon-death" form is always healing when dormant. The character can't enter the other form without first dying, although they can kill themselves (with a Will roll, penalized depending on how) to do this. A lot of this is balanced by the alternate form having serious mental disadvantages, including Berserk (6).

Can death (failed HT roll to stay alive or -5*HP automatic death for most characters, or -10*HP Unkillable characters) be a valid (Uncontrollable) Trigger for the switch to an Alternate Form?

I thought that the forms would have Non-Reciprocal Damage and Reciprocal Rest, but that isn't exactly what I want. I'd more want something like Extreme Regeneration to switch on to heal the base form upon the transformation, and then for the damage to be reciprocal to the base form while in the alternate, with damage to the base form never affecting the alternate form.

Does the base form need some kind of limited, modified Unkillable for this to work? It needs to be as fragile as if they didn't have that trait (can fail normal HT death checks, automatic at -5*HP). But on the other hand if it really dies then can the character by RAW stay alive to switch to an Alternate Form, and then have the dead base form heal?

I hope that all makes sense. Really not sure how to build this.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: [Powers] Triggering Alternate Form Upon "Death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Can death (failed HT roll to stay alive or -5*HP automatic death for most characters, or -10*HP Unkillable characters) be a valid (Uncontrollable) Trigger for the switch to an Alternate Form?
Sure, just enhance the transformation so it takes no time when triggered by a failed HT roll, consciousness/death, and along with Reciprocal Rest and Non-Reciprocal Damage you're good to go.

You can add in additional regeneration levels only during "rest" if that fits the concept too.

I've actually have one of my players running a PC with a very similar ability in a Supers campaign I'm currently GMing.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Langy

Buy it as Extra Life (Reincarnation, -20%).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Refplace

I built something like this for some Mummy inspired templates.

Base form needs Unkillable or its dead but choose the spirit/ghost variant of Unkillable 3.
You want Reicopcal rest/healing so the new form is Undamaged but can take a small limitation on it that the base form continues to take damage.
I would probably call it a Feature since the base form will probably benefit from the Regeneration you have on the enhanced form.

You may add Reduced Time for a faster cahnge as suggested but you could also just go with the normal time to transform and call it a Powering Up phase. The base form cant be further harmed or do anything so it just sits there as a cloud of energy or pulsating body or whatever you like.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Ze'Manel Cunha

If the transformation happens immediately upon failing the HT roll you don't need Unkillable, since it takes more than a few seconds for actual death, but if he can survive past the -5*HT level he definitely needs a version of Unkillable.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
If the transformation happens immediately upon failing the HT roll you don't need Unkillable, since it takes more than a few seconds for actual death, but if he can survive past the -5*HT level he definitely needs a version of Unkillable.
I think that if the HT roll is failed by more than 2 (and therefore worse than a Mortal Wound and the character is dead) you couldn't justify transforming out of it. And unless you had some form of regeneration, I think that the rolls every 30 minutes would still have to be made for the other body...

I don't think I'd allow it without Unkillable in the mix
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I think that if the HT roll is failed by more than 2 (and therefore worse than a Mortal Wound and the character is dead) you couldn't justify transforming out of it. And unless you had some form of regeneration, I think that the rolls every 30 minutes would still have to be made for the other body...

I don't think I'd allow it without Unkillable in the mix
If it's a one-time transformation (like most 'boss monster' transforms), then Extra Life is a cheaper version that's coincidentally more suited to the situation. Probably a good idea to add 20 to 30 points for one-use only Regeneration, to simulate coming back to full health.

Thus, the 'New Boss Form After Death' would cost 40 points if it transforms in one minute, or 50 points if it transforms in ten seconds, plus the difference in template prices between the original form and the final boss form.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
If it's a one-time transformation (like most 'boss monster' transforms), then Extra Life is a cheaper version that's coincidentally more suited to the situation.
However the Ops request was not for that kind of Boss monster since he specifically wants to be able to go back to the lesser form and have it at risk.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
If it's a one-time transformation (like most 'boss monster' transforms), then Extra Life is a cheaper version that's coincidentally more suited to the situation. Probably a good idea to add 20 to 30 points for one-use only Regeneration, to simulate coming back to full health.

Thus, the 'New Boss Form After Death' would cost 40 points if it transforms in one minute, or 50 points if it transforms in ten seconds, plus the difference in template prices between the original form and the final boss form.
I agree completely, but I don't think that's the intent for the build.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
However the Ops request was not for that kind of Boss monster since he specifically wants to be able to go back to the lesser form and have it at risk.
I'm honestly not sure that's his intention; that's how he seems to have built it, but he never actually said that he wants to be able to turn back to the 'base form' after the resurrection.

Tags
alternate form, death, trigger