Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #31
Malenfant

Default Re: Zhodani without Psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But to be Zho, they must have some form of populace control and creepy uniformity.
How can that be done without invoking magic? That's the point of this thread, I believe, not why do it at all.
Yes, which is why I was pointing out several societies in earth's history that have had various degrees of controlling their populace and being creepily uniform, and they haven't needed any special powers to do it (North Korea in particular springs to mind). Judicious use of fear, terror, paranoia, and propaganda can accomplish that quite nicely on their own.
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenfant View Post
Yes, which is why I was pointing out several societies in earth's history that have had various degrees of controlling their populace and being creepily uniform, and they haven't needed any special powers to do it (North Korea in particular springs to mind). Judicious use of fear, terror, paranoia, and propaganda can accomplish that quite nicely on their own.
Wasn't part of the point also not to make them so obviously the bad guys? Iron-fisted dictatorships are kind of hard to justify as worthy of continued existence.

I like the idea of advanced pharmaceuticals. Distress and feelings of not being part of the wonderful society is a disorder and can be easily fixed with the right drugs.... and the horror is that it can. The same "dystopia" that many today fear the drug companies are pushing, but pushed to 11.

There was an episode of "Sliders" in which the hippies were counter culture rebels for refusing to take any psychoactive drugs.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #33
Fred Brackin

Quote:
But that would turn the Zho into Space Nazis. The Zho aren't Space Nazis because their regime has some objective benefits rather than just negative differences.

That is the feature that needs to be retained:ambiguity. There's nothing to be said in favor of North Korea.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
jason taylor

I suppose making them a Cyborg empire rather then a Psiocracy has it's advantages. Imperials would have just as much atavistic horror at the idea, would develop a fanatical prejudice against robotics etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
David Johnston2

Quote:
Psi / mind magic isn't science of any sort. .
Sure it is. It took a lot of scientific investigation to establish it wasn't real.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 01-10-2013 at 11:23 AM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:

The question in the OP asked is "what would the Zhodani be without supernatural psi?". I just took it further and asked why people were still trying to have them with any "psi-like abilities" at all (whether technological or otherwise) - why not just go the whole hog and have them without anything like that?

There are plenty of ways to control a populace without psychic powers after all.

I don't think we "need" them to have psionics at all. As you point out, they'ree an interesting enough race without them - just in having a civilisation where freedom of thought is so controlled yet apparently so harmonious is a good scifi issue to explore.
Except for the minor problem that there's no way to produce that situation without the psi or some other fantastic technology.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sure it is. It took a lot of scientific investigation to establish it wasn't real.
Using that broad of a definition would make everything, including dragons and magic spells, science. That's a bit silly, isn't it?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #38
Malenfant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Except for the minor problem that there's no way to produce that situation without the psi or some other fantastic technology.
Again, look at North Korea.
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #39
David Johnston2

Quote:
Using that broad of a definition would make everything, including dragons and magic spells, science. That's a bit silly, isn't it?
No, the same kind of scientific investigation never occurred for those things.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #40
David Johnston2

Quote:
Again, look at North Korea.
I look at North Korea and I am unimpressed. North Korea isn't harmonious. It's just overbearing, heavy handed tyranny. Also it can't even feed itself.

Tags
hard sf, psionics, traveller, zhodani