Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 12-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
cptbutton

Default Zhodani without Psi

Since it is being discussed in the Hard SF vs. Traveller threads, I figured I'd dredge up my old idea for how to have the Zhodani without supernatural psionics:

Earlier version here. (That was a repost of my idea, but the original was on the Pyramid boards. I think.)

By law all children in the Consulate have brain implants with wireless communication at birth. In theory, everyone should be able to use them for telepathy by radio, cyberpunk access to computer systems, etc. In practice, only a minority of people ever learn to use them effectively.

No one has ever found a way to get implants to work well if they are put in later in life, so other societies can't duplicate this without going far down the road to becoming just like the Zhodani.

Using them to spy on other Zhodani's brains is the most common skill, but others exist like being able "become" a spaceship, have 360 degree vision, a squad that fights as a hivemind, etc.

So you still have a noble psi class, thought police, elite warriors, and other people able to do stuff impossible for normal people.

You don't get precognition, teleporting commandos, telekinetics, or telepathic spying on foreigners. But there are rumors of all these things and they are the kind of urban legend stuff that just will not die regardless of the facts. And the Zhodani intelligence services are not above spreading such stories and faking evidence of them as misinformation. Or maybe the rumors are a Hiver plot.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Zhodani without Psi

Dragging advanced memetics from THS could allow for creepy social manipulation. THS uses it almost like mind control as is.

I can't see how one could really read minds with realistic technology. Stream of consciousness even when fully subvocalized is near gibberish to anyone else.
You would have to have an enormous amount of experience with my life to make heads or tails of my thoughts. Associations that make less sense that obscure puns, dropping trains of thought that never the less continue on in the subconscious only to pop back up fully formed later, holding both sides of a conversation in my head while irritating obsessive music plays in the background, sensory memories popping up and sometimes incorrectly with only a fraction of a second spent correcting them, etc.
It's amazing that this mess can ever be coordinated and organized long enough to communicate with language to another person for even a moment.
In my opinion at least.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
copeab

The problem is that psionics is the only area where the Zhodani are superior to the Imperium, and use it to good effect with their commandos. When you strip away psionics, they are inferior to the Imperium in every way ad, frankly, not very interesting anymore. Better to replace them with another race than nerf them.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Dragging advanced memetics from THS could allow for creepy social manipulation. THS uses it almost like mind control as is.
Not really. The numbers of affected people produced by THS memetics are inferior to TL7-TL8 political campaigns.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
The problem is that psionics is the only area where the Zhodani are superior to the Imperium, and use it to good effect with their commandos. When you strip away psionics, they are inferior to the Imperium in every way ad, frankly, not very interesting anymore. Better to replace them with another race than nerf them.
It would be possible to replace the creepy psionics with creepy cyborgs and end up with the same basic relationship.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It would be possible to replace the creepy psionics with creepy cyborgs and end up with the same basic relationship.
Turn them into the Borg?

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
To really work you would need implantable FTL communicators to stay linked to the hive.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
It may be their only technological superiority, but technology isn't everything. They are supposed to have a unified culture and a more planned expansion and settlement plan even canonically. Give up on randomized system statistics for them, and maybe allow planned economies to work a bit better than they have so far, and something considerably smaller than the Imperium could be a pretty frightening power. Something as big as the Consulate on canonical maps that actually did expand rationally, and therefor is that big because they actually need that many worlds to spread their population and economy over, and in which the entire population can quickly embrace and cooperate toward a particular goal is *scary* even if they're barely Jump capable. If something like that ever adopted a goal like crush the Imperium....
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
To really work you would need implantable FTL communicators to stay linked to the hive.
Overkill. After all, the Zhodani thought police don't have interstellar range either.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Overkill. After all, the Zhodani thought police don't have interstellar range either.
Then it just becomes a more realistic cell phone, just implanted. That's a bit boring in my opinion.

Tags
hard sf, psionics, traveller, zhodani