Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #3171
Astromancer

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Try this idea...

A charismatic preacher converts much of the Arabian peninsula to Christianity in the early sixth century. Mohammad becomes a Christian saint. Durring the 7th century Byzantium conquers most of the Persian empire.

From here you can go in several directions. A Byzantine conquest of Europe is one. A Greek emperor seeking to conquer india to surpass Alexander would be another. Technological acceleration or stagnation can both be justified.

What would you do with this twist?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #3172
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
A charismatic preacher converts much of the Arabian peninsula to Christianity in the early sixth century. Mohammad becomes a Christian saint. During the 7th century Byzantium conquers most of the Persian empire.
Are you assuming that the Arabs have their historic phase of conquest, as Christians? If so, they're likely to take over Byzantium, or become its major rival.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #3173
AlexanderHowl

Christianity was well-known and wide spread in the Arab Peninsula (as was Zorastrianism). Christianity had failed to break the hold of Zorastrianism in the Sassinid Empire (Christianity was accepted, but it was a minority religion), so the Sassinid Empire would have likely recovered from its war with the Byzantine Empire if Islam had not arisen. The Byzantine Empire would have likely fallen to the recovered Sassinid Empire because it bankrupted itself in the previous war and Christian Europe and Christian Africa would have faced a much more dangerous opponent than the Islamic Empires.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 AM   #3174
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Are you assuming that the Arabs have their historic phase of conquest, as Christians? If so, they're likely to take over Byzantium, or become its major rival.
It's largely because Mohammad forbade raiding other Muslims that the Arab tribes took to conquest. They lived by raiding, if they couldn't raid neighbors, they had to find others.

By the way, Persia was near collapse at the time of the Islamc conquest. So if you remove Islam, Byzantium is the logical conqueror.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #3175
fchase8

Harry Turtledove had a book where Mohammed became a Christian missionary (later a saint):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_of_Byzantium
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #3176
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
Harry Turtledove had a book where Mohammed became a Christian missionary (later a saint):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_of_Byzantium
That's what inspired me.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #3177
Astromancer

The Duke of Buckingham, mainly known to American readers from "The Three Musketeers," was an important Royal favorite during the reigns of James I and his son Charles. He was mainly known for vanity, jealousy, vindictiveness, and incompetence. His assassination in 1628 actually put far more stable and capable men in charge of the royal offices. However, Buckingham's bad example deeply influenced Charles I and guaranteed his downfall.

Removing the Duke earlier would change many things from whether the British Civil Wars happened too whether or not there'd be a state of Maryland. Centrum would probably prefer to kill the Duke before he meets James I. Homeline doesn't love the Duke, but they'd want him left alive.

Note: Buckingham was certainly at least James I's lover. He was probably Charles I lover as well. He had many other lovers besides. Any of whom could cause your agents tons of trouble. Addded thrill. Does anyone in this parallel remember the PCs from a prior visit?

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #3178
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Buckingham was certainly at least James I's lover. He was probably Charles I lover as well. He had many other lovers besides. Any of whom could cause your agents tons of trouble. Addded thrill. Does anyone in this parallel remember the PCs from a prior visit?
Alternate complication: the PCs foil a plot and one of the plotters is captured. He confesses to a plan by one of Buckingham's (many) local enemies - one that historically fell apart seriously enough it was never discovered. Now the crown is out to execute traitors who are supposed to be key figures in the next decade and it's the PCs fault....

By and large though I don't care for missions like this much. Remember that Infinity and Centrum aren't *actually* time travelers - if they changed something that is supposed to have major consequences in a few decades, they have to wait a few decades to see and benefit from them. Furthermore Centrum doesn't actually have a particularly in depth knowledge of Homeline history that would let them pick out these change points. And anyway everybody knows from actual example that predicting the changes is essentially impossible, just from observing that timelines that have what appear to have been rather similar change points now have radically different current situations. Remember that from Centrum's point of view the change point of *lots* of known lines is exactly the same - the sinking of the White Ship.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #3179
Astromancer

It seems to me that the period of English history between Henry VIII deciding that he needed a divorce until Walpole falls from power always has amazingly long shadows. It wouldn't take long even for Centrum to see that minor actions in any England going through that time period could pay big dividends in any long game.

Since knowing what to expect is power, Centrum has reason to learn what Homeline knows about history. After all most of the Echoes reflect Homeline, thus Homeline history would give you a key to knowing what Homeliners expect.

Thus I suggest a sudden rash of kidnappings of scholars of British History of the Tudor-Stuart period. Figuring out what's going on and why would be a challenge. But once you get the PCs hooked, you can take the game anywhere British History might be studied.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #3180
fchase8

Would Centrum want to prevent Henry VIII's 'divorce' from the Catholic Church? While Centrum is no fan of churches, having a sole church would provide a center of power and hierarchy, as opposed to the 'up from below' push of Protestantism (which led to the Thirty Years War, which led to nation-states).

I believe in the original GURPS Time Travel there were a few examples of successful Centrum interventions, and one was Queen Mary executing her sister Elizabeth. That would seem to push England to remain Catholic after Henry VIII's Anglicanism, particularly with the Catholic Stuarts up next in line.

If Centrum could just get Henry VIII a viable heir (cure the supposed syphillis that he reportedly secretly had), could prevent the divorce and England on the Catholic side.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited