Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #51
downer

Default Re: GURPS Historial PbP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post
The template looks pretty good to me, Dewey. The Crusades supplement recommended 75 points to start, so maybe you want to add another 9 points' worth to it?
That sounded to me like the template was going to be taking up all our starting points. I'd prefer the other way, though, with at least 10 or 20 points left over to customize with.

As for the languages, I guess some detail can't hurt (I'll admit to being something of a freak that way...). I mean there was a reason for using Latin so much in Medieval Europe. And the campaign setting is rich in different languages. Polish, Lithuanian, Prussian, Low German, Swedish, to a lesser extent High German and Russian will probably figure, and it should matter if you can understand some Polish knights making plans against you or not. In my (limited) experience with PbP it is usually uncomplicated to put something a character said in a language that some, but not all listeners understand in <language> tags and expect other players to disregard it, if their characters wouldn't know what was said.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #52
Anders

I would lump Swedish, Norwegian and Danish (and Icelandic) into one language - Scandinavian. Danish certainly have an interest in the area as well. I will dig out my book on Scandinavian crusades.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #53
NickP

If we are really struggling to bring a realistic but minimum template Teutonic Knight in for 69-75 points, then let's increase the amount of points for everyone rather than making the template inaccurate.

How much do you think we would need to make this so and have enough points left over for enough personalization that there is a good amount of variety between characters? 90? 100?

I'm open to suggestions.

Also, if someone wants a character who is not a Teutonic Knight, but could logically work with them, then I am very much open to that as well as it could be a little dull if all of the characters were too similar to one another. If you can come up with a backstory which isn't too illogical, then I will be happy to work with it.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #54
Dewey

I think that 100 would be a good number, that would allow for a good 30-35 points of customization beyond the template.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #55
NickP

OK, so let us go with 100 points so that everyone has some flexibility.

I have been doing a bit of reading on the Teutonic Knights this evening and have come up with some useful information that should help character generation.

Firstly, the majority of Teutonic Knights, in the earlier part of their history (which is when we are looking to set the campaign) were not noblemen. Over 75% of them were actually from the artisan classes.

Although the majority of the knights were from the German states of the Holy Roman Empire (40% from Thuringia alone), their ranks were open to all Christians - although most non-Germans came from the upper classes and there are reports of English, Polish and Swedish serving with them.

Some were religiously motivated, wanting to covert the last pagans remaining in Europe. But others were just looking for higher prestige, escaping from problems or just looking for regular meals.

In addition, local tribesmen who were among the first to convert to Christianity also served alongside the Knights, usually as light cavalry.

They were not allowed any 'worldly splendour' - their belongings limited to two shirts, a pair of breeches, two pairs of boots, a surcoat, a sleeping bag, a blanket, a prayer book and a knife.

So this should allow everyone quite a bit of flexibility when coming up with their characters so that we have a good variety rather than everyone's character being a replica of the others.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #56
reb

Quote:
OK, so let us go with 100 points so that everyone has some flexibility.

I have been doing a bit of reading on the Teutonic Knights this evening and have come up with some useful information that should help character generation.

Firstly, the majority of Teutonic Knights, in the earlier part of their history (which is when we are looking to set the campaign) were not noblemen. Over 75% of them were actually from the artisan classes.

Although the majority of the knights were from the German states of the Holy Roman Empire (40% from Thuringia alone), their ranks were open to all Christians - although most non-Germans came from the upper classes and there are reports of English, Polish and Swedish serving with them.

Some were religiously motivated, wanting to covert the last pagans remaining in Europe. But others were just looking for higher prestige, escaping from problems or just looking for regular meals.

In addition, local tribesmen who were among the first to convert to Christianity also served alongside the Knights, usually as light cavalry.

They were not allowed any 'worldly splendour' - their belongings limited to two shirts, a pair of breeches, two pairs of boots, a surcoat, a sleeping bag, a blanket, a prayer book and a knife.

So this should allow everyone quite a bit of flexibility when coming up with their characters so that we have a good variety rather than everyone's character being a replica of the others.
worldly goods......does this go for everyone???
if i am going to be running a english crusader mounted longbowman,he will need more than this...
horse,tack,longbow,arrows,mail and jack,helmet,canteen,arrowbag,warhammer,falchion,ki dney dagger,cloak,food-field provisions,ground cloth,gloves,breeches-blue & white striped,puffed sleeved faded blue shirt,red beret with feather,etc.....just to run him i need the basic essentuals of more than that,he is not a religious fanatic,he will be in this for the LOOT!!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #57
NickP

As per the rules, everyone has a standard wealth of 1000 Pfennig ($) to spend on arms and armour.

If you want to start off with more than that, you'll have to pay the excess points cost.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #58
reb

Quote:
As per the rules, everyone has a standard wealth of 1000 Pfennig ($) to spend on arms and armour.

If you want to start off with more than that, you'll have to pay the excess points cost.
where do we post the characters?
and what exactly are the starting points?
disadvantage limit?
any g.m prohibited advantages or disadvantages?
and are we going to meet each other in game or already know each other?
where are we starting geographically?
what is the exact date?
whats the weather?
and how did we end up where we are starting out at game start?

this will all dictate my starting equipment...
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #59
downer

I have a question myself, on Status. Do the origins of a Teutonic Knight have any bearing on his status? Or are all members of the order the same status? If the latter, what is that? 2, as a landless knight (B 265)? If the former, what is my character's status? Nominally, a ministerial is a serf (-2), but in practice he serves as an important advisor or administrator, which is more like status 1 or 2. Otherwise, I think I've got it covered. Oh, and is it intentional that my sword costs half my budget?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #60
Fnugus

Quote:

I suppose through Wealth, Signature Gear, Independent Income, and/or Patron.