Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #41
Harry O'Gane

Default Re: [OOC] The Marching Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
Thanks, I use this to keep my skills sharp.

If I take penetrating voice, could I get the +1 bonus to intimidate?
Also, what is the language in our neck of the woods?
What do the native Reptile-Men speak?
I'm at work now, don't have the book with me, but i think penetrating voice only gives +1 to hearing to anyone to hear you. it's just loud. Using Intimidation as such most of the times requires simply speaking loud. Gotta check.

Also, the common language in Caithness (and in most of the Yrth) is Anglish. However, I do know that reptile-men cannot take more than Accented level, not because of their mindset, but simply the inability to pronounce things right. It is possible to take it on Writen Native level, however.

Once again, gotta check the book, but I reckon they have some kind of native language, can't remember the name.

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #42
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
I'm at work now, don't have the book with me, but i think penetrating voice only gives +1 to hearing to anyone to hear you. it's just loud. Using Intimidation as such most of the times requires simply speaking loud. Gotta check.

Also, the common language in Caithness (and in most of the Yrth) is Anglish. However, I do know that reptile-men cannot take more than Accented level, not because of their mindset, but simply the inability to pronounce things right. It is possible to take it on Writen Native level, however.

Once again, gotta check the book, but I reckon they have some kind of native language, can't remember the name.

Marko
I shall bring the book to you.

Under "Reptile-Men" in Banestorm, PG 197
Quote:
Features: Can’t learn most other languages beyond the Accented level.
The word "other" tells me
1) they have a language, (though I cannot find it) and
2.)they're cool with their native one. Grok's native language is Anglish, but due to his reptilian face, speaks with an accent.

GURPS "accented" is more about grammar and syntax, but with an int of 12, Grok would have beat that years ago.

Under "Penetrating voice" in Basic Set: Characters, PG 101
Quote:
Penetrating Voice
You can really make yourself heard! In situations where you want to be heard over noise, others get a +3 to their hearing roll. At the GM's option, you get a +1 to Intimidate rolls if you surprise someone by yelling or roaring.
Hence my asking.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #43
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane
@Lamech: Just noticed the sheet. Yes, you can take the talent you mentioned, seems logical enough to me, although I'd also put Navigation in. After all, it's not all about using the instruments, but reading the clues in the nature that point the direction (moss on trees, position of the sun etc.).
Okay so final talent is
Outdoorsman-lite: Survival, Naturalist, Tracking, Camouflage, Navigation (land)? Reaction Bonus: Nature-lovers 5 points/level?
I know all sub-categories are supposed to be included, but really Navigation (Hyperspace)?
Quote:
If it is possible, could you replave Weirdness Magnet with something like a Duty to the Lord of Simonton, or maybe a Sense of Duty? All in all, I already told some other players, namely Epic Kobold, to get rid of that disadvantage.
Of course, indeed that was what I was planning on switching it too if you said no, or maybe just switching to work with the back story.
Quote:
Your character could be a ranger of some sort, patrolling the borderlands? Maybe?
Patroling the boarderlands of the great forest and the desert for Simonton? Sounds like a good fit.

Anyway on to finalizing the character sheet, finishing the back-story and grabbing equipment.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #44
Grey_Fox

out of date
Spoiler:  

Last edited by Grey_Fox; 07-16-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Grey_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #45
Hannes665

I donīt think Sir Green would fit very well as a leading man, he is a strong build slightly stubborn man that solves his problems directly (usually with some kind of violent behavior).

But he is very fit to be the leading manīs second. He has Status 2 that would give him at TL 3 a rather decent rank among most armies of that period*.

*800-1500 give or take few hundred years.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #46
Lamech

Note: I am using the basic set for armor weapons and equipment right now. I CAN switch to low-tech if you want.

Getting close character sheet
Spoiler:  
I recommend taking a look at the armor, and the basic speed, since those would likely be the things you might find objectionable. Its still not quite done, but...

Last edited by Lamech; 07-13-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #47
Skullcrusher

Sorrry it is taking me so long to get a character up. It's cool by me that Grey Fox takes the lead role...But I don't think I am going to have a Mercanery group. Just too may points. I will come up with something soon.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #48
Skullcrusher

How many Mercenary Allies should I tak eto make it significant? 6-10? 20-50? Anymore than that makes it cost prohibitive. I would just rather say he is currently without a mercenary troop since his last troop was lost due to a combination of deaths and deserters after their last battle. Perhaps they were in the conflict with the reptilemen that took Blythe? He and a few others escaped but have since disbanded. One of his goals would be to rebuild his army.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #49
Harry O'Gane

Okay, here's a big post regarding all of your replies. Forgive me for all the *snips*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold
*snip* Hence my asking.
Ah yes, I wasn't sure since I had no books. Yeah, I guess it's okay. I won't go really heavy on basic rules, only Mass Combat will have a lot of details. Therefore, details such as that shouldn't concern you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech
*snip* Anyway on to finalizing the character sheet, finishing the back-story and grabbing equipment. *snippethulhu* I CAN switch to low-tech if you want. *snip*
Great. Finish up your backstory and equipment and you're ready to roll. And yes, you're free to use Low-Tech if you really want to. Although I did not have it planned for use. Believe me, going too much into detail won't be that necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Fox
*snippity* I have made a few changes to the character, some more changes might still need to happen, for instance he has no wealth to support his status, so is it OK with you for him to be "living below" his status as the book says? (i think it would work for the character anyway as i sort of want him to reject his nobility slightly, and living on less than lavish means would suit that idea nicely, plus 150 points starts to stretch thin with wealth status and rank), also when you say he needs to have a couple of people under him do you want me to buy them as allies? *snappity*
Yes, having status but not the wealth is perfectly fine. You'll see why once I send you the PM regarding the main PC. What I will send is a portion of your backstory. You may add whatever you want to after my story.

You do not specifically need to buy those men as allies. They are employed and you act as a commander. You have a high rank and may command them on the basis of simply having the rank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher
How many Mercenary Allies should I tak eto make it significant? 6-10? 20-50? Anymore than that makes it cost prohibitive. I would just rather say he is currently without a mercenary troop since his last troop was lost due to a combination of deaths and deserters after their last battle. Perhaps they were in the conflict with the reptilemen that took Blythe? He and a few others escaped but have since disbanded. One of his goals would be to rebuild his army.
About 10 seems legit. The whole bunch of them could make one element of... let's say Medium Infantry with TS 3, of Basic equipment and Average troop quality.

You're free to use this piece of story you mentioned about Blythe, though. However, if you took them as still living and under your command, that would be neat. It's your choice in the end.

The IC Thread will start as soon as I send you all the briefing PM regarding the current situation you will be faced with once the game starts, the knowledge your characters have, and some names and notes you might find valuable. If you have read the PM, you're elligible to join the game. Note that all of you will get the PM at approximately the same time.

Finish your backstories, so far I have Kobold's, zoncxs', Hannes' (although he is free to add more if he wishes too. Everyone can, that is). Grey_Fox is not obliged to give me the whole backstory, he'll get a portion of his after I publish this post. I have only a vague idea about Lamech's and Skullcrusher's backstories, but I believe they're on their way.

Any more questions, comments, criticisms? Feel free to ask whatever you wish to.

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #50
Lamech

Questions: Can I use the assumption from magic of "80 energy or less enchantments are 1$ each"? Two how many layers of armor can I have on the skull before you get overly annoyed? Three I suspect you might find a basic speed on 9 objectionable, if you want it lowered that is fine.

Tags
banestorm, caithness, civil war, mass combat, yrth