Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Kuzma

Default What does Super Climbing do?

This is kinda baffling to me, mostly because so much of GURPS is so well spelled-out. The advantage Super Climbing gives +1 Move per level when climbing. This sounds like Enhanced Move with a -40% limitation on it to me, but then we go to the rules on Climbing in the Campaigns book and there are no references to Move except to say "movement speed should generally be proportional to Basic Move".

So I'm assuming that every level of Super Climbing adds one to your Move for the purposes of climbing and that "movement speed should generally be proportional to Basic Move" means that the numbers provided on page 349 for the speed of various climbs are for a standard Move of 5. But that seems weak - It means climbing at double the normal speed, which is still very slow, is a 15-point exotic advantage. 15 points is a lot to pay to climb a wall at 2/5 ft per second when Clinging [20] gets rid of climbing rolls and shoots you up to 7 feet per second.

What I suspect is that Super Climbing is only meant to be taken by characters that already have Clinging and need to move faster than half their Basic Move when climbing. But what if I want to make a race whose body morphology is such that they can climb twice as well and twice as fast as the average human, but are still restricted by all the basic constraints of climbing that a human is? Making them twice as competent is easy - a racial bonus to climbing skill. But what about making them faster? Is there a better way that I'm not aware of? Are some of my assumptions or conclusions wrong?
Kuzma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Dinadon

Default Re: What does Super Climbing do?

This is covered in Powers, where it lets Super Climbing add the value again. That is, multiply the value given by (Level of Super Climbing + 1). This covers everything but rappelling, which is considered to be controlled more by gravity.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Kuzma

Default Re: What does Super Climbing do?

Thanks!

So... Super Jump as written in the Basic Set should probably be errata'd then, since it has a sentence that doesn't make any sense that this Powers discussion fixes.
Kuzma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climbing, move, super climbing