Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
phayman53

Default [Monster Hunters] Fighting Style in [Martial Arts] format

Another thread I posted on switching out the wildcard skills in the Monster Hunters: Champions templates for regular skills got be thinking about a monster hunters fighting style in the Martial Arts format. Here is what I came up with, please let me know what you think:

Monster Hunter Two Weapon Style: (8 points)

Modern Monster Hunters have different needs in their martial training than most warriors—ancient or modern. Monsters are often very resistant to firearms, so monster hunters need to be experts in melee weapons. Likewise, monsters sometimes have supernaturally tough hides that equal or exceed even the heaviest of ancient armors, making most forms of modern unarmored weapons training insufficient. However, modern monster hunters also have to maintain The Secret, so some of the weapons that ancient monster hunters used, like shield, polearms, and large two-handed swords and axes, have to be avoided due to the need to disguise or conceal weapons. As a result, many monster hunters choose to fight with two one-handed weapons rather than one large weapon or a weapon and shield combination. This monster hunter fighting style represents such a system of using two one-handed weapons.

In this style, the hunter uses some kind of knife in his off-hand with the defense oriented Main-Gauche skill. This off-hand weapon is the primary defensive implement and can be anything from an actual Main-Gauche to a sturdy wooden stake for fighting and finishing vampires. As a result, almost every fighter who trains in this style learns to target the heart with their Main-Gauche. Relying on the off-hand weapon for defense, many monster hunter choose to use the powerful but unbalanced axe in order to hack apart or decapitate tough monsters. Training to target the neck with powerful axe swings in order to quickly put down even the mightiest of supernatural foes is common. Others, however, opt to use a sword for increased defensive capability and precision. In this case, many monster hunters train to thrust at the eyes as even the toughest monsters almost always lack armor there.

This style also includes unarmed training in case the monster hunter is disarmed, caught without weapons, or needs to subdue a foe without killing it. "Unscientific" Brawling is taught because of its usefulness with improvised weapons. The finesse based locks and throws of Judo are preferred for grappling because of how frequently the monster hunter is at a disadvantage in strength.

Acrobatics is an integral part of the style due to the need to completely avoid being hit by really strong foes, evasively move past large opponents, and survive falls and tumbles. Likewise, Fast-Draw for the hunter's primary weapons is an integral part of the style due to the need to ready weapons instantly and sometimes leave weapons in downed foes.

Finally, Many monster hunters are also trained in larger weapons, such as polearms and shields, for occasions when they do not have to conceal their weapons. Furthermore, while Holdout is almost universal, it is not considered integral to the style. Use of the crossbows, throwing axes, and even throwing art are also often taught, but are not strictly part of the style.

Cinematic skills and techniques include abilities that allow the monster hunter to attack and defend better with both weapons, fight invisible foes, resist being moved, and resist mental attacks. True master hunters are unfazeable weapon masters who are almost impervious to pain.

Skills: Acrobatics; Axe/Mace or Broadsword; Brawling; Fast-Draw (Axe/Mace or Broadsword); Fast-Draw (Main-Gauche); Judo; and Main-Gauche

Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics); Arm Lock (Judo); Armed Grapple (any); Breakfall (Acrobatics or Judo); Close Combat (Axe/Mace or Broadsword); Counterattack (Axe/Mace, Broadsword, or Main-Gauche); Ground Fighting (Judo or Main-Gauche); Hook (Axe/Mace); Feint (Axe/Mace, Broadsword, or Main-Gauche); Sweep (Judo); Targeted Attack (Axe/Mace Swing/Neck); Targeted Attack (Broadsword or Main-Gauche Thrust/Eyes); Targeted Attack (Main-Gauche Thrust/Heart).

Cinematic Skills: Blind Fighting; Immovable Stance; Mental Strength; and Power Blow.

Cinematic Techniques: Dual-Weapon Attack (Axe/Mace, Broadsword, or Main-Gauche); Dual-Weapon Defense (Broadsword or Main-Gauche); Roll with Blow (Acrobatics or Judo); Timed Defense (Axe/Mace, Broadsword, or Main-Gauche)

Perks: Grip Mastery (Main-Gauche); Improvised Weapon (Brawling or Main-Gauche); Off-Hand Weapons Training (Main-Gauche); Sure-Footed (Uneven); Unusual Training (Dual-Weapon Attack, Only against one opponent)

Optional Traits:
Advantages: Ambidexterity; Combat Reflexes; Enhanced Parry (Broadsword, Main-Gauche, or all); Fearlessness; Fit; High Pain Threshold; Unfazeable; Weapon Master (Two Weapons)

Disadvantages: Bloodlust; Charitable; Fanaticism (The Mission); Intolerance (Inhumans, Witches); Sense of Duty (Humanity).

Skills: Crossbow; Holdout; Jumping; Polearm; Running; Shield; Staff; Spear; Throwing Art; Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace); Two-Handed Axe/Mace; Two-Handed Sword

Last edited by phayman53; 12-18-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Suggestion from responder
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Monster Hunters] Fighting Style in [Martial Arts] format

It looks good.

It'd personally drop the unarmed skills but add fast draw: punching or even throwing a vampire or any other monster is usually an exercise in futility, while monster hunting frequently require swift changes in your load out. Hunters leave stakes in vampires but need to keep fighting the rest of the nest. They show up with silver weapons for werewolves only to find they're facing a wolf-themed faerie. And so forth.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It looks good.

It'd personally drop the unarmed skills but add fast draw: punching or even throwing a vampire or any other monster is usually an exercise in futility, while monster hunting frequently require swift changes in your load out. Hunters leave stakes in vampires but need to keep fighting the rest of the nest. They show up with silver weapons for werewolves only to find they're facing a wolf-themed faerie. And so forth.
Thank you for your reply! I moved Fast-Draw into the primary skills in response to your suggestion. While you make a very good point about the futility of grappling many monsters, I left the unarmed skills in place both because "Monster Hunter" fiction often has even normal humans engaging monsters with fists and because the hunters are not always hunter non-humans or super-strong monsters, so I thought it still fit.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
aesir23

Nice style, although personally, if I were hunting monsters, I'd use a two-handed sword based style rather than sword and dagger. It's better for getting through DR, which is a frequent concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It looks good.

I agree about Brawling, but Judo in GURPS is (unrealistically) effective against supernatural foes. In the default rules (TG , you can parry and throw an attacker no matter how much stronger they are. Now you have a prone opponent and time to draw your weapon or, if you have fast-draw, an opportunity to try something risky like a committed telegraphed attack while your opponent wastes a turn changing position (unless they have Acrobatic Stand or similar.)

On a related note, here's a style I developed for a Buffyverse campaign I wanted to run several years ago--it's meant for a superhumanly strong Slayer, but might be of interest (and might be a good style for an Inhuman monster hunter):

Quote:
Slayer Training 9
This fighting style, derived from various Asian unarmed combat styles and European weapons styles, is designed to take advantage of a slayer's superior strength and agility and is particularly designed for fighting vampires and other supernatural foes.
The traditional tactic is to use a series of powerful punches and high kicks to beat your opponent until they are stunned or prone before finishing them off with a targeted attack to the heart with the stake, usually a Committed or All-Out Attack with bonuses to hit.
This style is only taught to at the Watcher's Academy or through one-on-one instruction from a watcher to a slayer. Many slayers may have this style without any training, thanks to their mystical connection with all past slayers (GURPS Reawakened.)

Skills: Judo, Karate, Broadsword, Knife (Stake), Crossbow, Axe/Mace, Acrobatics, Occultism.
Techniques: Kicking, Counter Attack (Karate or Knife), TA (Knife Thrust, Heart), Acrobatic Stand, Elbow Strike, Spinning Attack (Punch, Kick, Broadsword Swing), Sweep, TA (Broadsword Swing, Neck), Feint (any), Jump Kick, Reverse Grip (knife)
Cinematic Skills: Blind Fighting
Cinematic Techniques: Flying Jump Kick, Hand Clap Parry, Roll With Blow
Perks: Improvised Weapon (Knife), Style Adaptation (Any), Technique Adaptation (Counter Attack), Technique Adaptation (Feint), Sure Footed (Uneven Terrain)

Optional Skills: Fast Draw (stake), Staff, Spear, Parry Missile Weapons, Two Handed-Sword, Thrown Weapon (Knife)
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Thank you for your reply! I moved Fast-Draw into the primary skills in response to your suggestion. While you make a very good point about the futility of grappling many monsters, I left the unarmed skills in place both because "Monster Hunter" fiction often has even normal humans engaging monsters with fists and because the hunters are not always hunter non-humans or super-strong monsters, so I thought it still fit.
This, plus unarmed combat skills are also handy for avoiding being grabbed or pummeled by monsters that like to be up close and personal. Or to escape a grapple.

Plus, as written, Judo Throw doesn't account for mass, so you can technically do a defensive Judo Throw against a T-Rex . . .
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Nice style, although personally, if I were hunting monsters, I'd use a two-handed sword based style rather than sword and dagger. It's better for getting through DR, which is a frequent concern.
While writing Dungeon Grappling (no relation to Dungeon Fantasy) I came across a large number of old images of pollaxe fighting to crack plate. Grappling, Polearm, and Two-Handed Axe/Mace would make a nice style here, as the needs are similar.

I agree about Brawling, but Judo in GURPS is (unrealistically) effective against supernatural foes. In the default rules (TG ,[/QUOTE]

I think you meant "not TG" here.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

I think you meant "not TG" here.
I think I had a longer parenthetical planned (e.g. "(TG includes optional rules that fix this)"), but then I got distracted. :)

The problem with Polearms is the U parry--you can't really afford to give up your parry when you're fighting a demon. You could do defensive attacks, but then you're doing less damage than with a greatsword.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
I think I had a longer parenthetical planned (e.g. "(TG includes optional rules that fix this)"), but then I got distracted. :)

The problem with Polearms is the U parry--you can't really afford to give up your parry when you're fighting a demon. You could do defensive attacks, but then you're doing less damage than with a greatsword.
"The Monstrous Polearm style emphasizes defensive attacks with a defensive grip to maintain space and preserve freedom of movement until the human combatant can create an advantage - usually through diversion or distraction by another fighter. At that point, the fighter shifts to a strong, two-handed grip and delivers a powerful Committed Attack to take advantage of the striking capabilities of his weapon.

On the defense, the two-handed weapon provides powerful leverage to magnify the strength of the defender while fending off grapples from foes that are presumed to be much stronger than the human champion, and using the blade of the pollaxe to damage offending limbs while parrying and escaping from attempted grapples is recommended."

:-)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
"The Monstrous Polearm style emphasizes defensive attacks with a defensive grip to maintain space and preserve freedom of movement until the human combatant can create an advantage - usually through diversion or distraction by another fighter. At that point, the fighter shifts to a strong, two-handed grip and delivers a powerful Committed Attack to take advantage of the striking capabilities of his weapon.

On the defense, the two-handed weapon provides powerful leverage to magnify the strength of the defender while fending off grapples from foes that are presumed to be much stronger than the human champion, and using the blade of the pollaxe to damage offending limbs while parrying and escaping from attempted grapples is recommended."

:-)
Yes, I like it. And I think Charles Gunn would approve.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
DouglasCole

Quote:
Yes, I like it. And I think Charles Gunn would approve.
"Ooops. My bad."

Tags
martial arts, monster hunters, style familiarity