Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #251
Der Wanderer

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich
I don't know that the Always On you have on Diffuse is valid; given the example Power from Powers (not sure of the page #) with Injury Tolerance (Diffuse, Swarm, Switchable) [190], it would seem to imply that Swarm is Always On automatically. Even if the Always On modifier is valid in this case, Swarm with -80% limitations would be +16%, not +8%.

So, without Always On, you end up with Injury Tolerance (Diffuse: Swarm ((Reduced Area, -30%) +56%) [156].

With Always On, you end up with Injury Tolerance (Diffuse: Swarm ((Always On, -50%, Reduced Area, -30%) +16%) [116].
Swarm is +80% if you cannot affect the substantial world while scattered
Found the example (pg 151), though under the swarm description it says "to scatter, take a concentration maneuver"... seems like a contradiction...
Additionally in this post Kromm writes "You aren't recognizably the same being as your solid form" implying to me that it is in effect switchable...
So unless Kromm storms in and tells otherwise I will leave it as is...

Anyhow there are many things that can be done about the increased cost (remove doesn't sleep, reduce IQ! (no real need for that) etc...)
Old 05-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #252
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
Found the example (pg 151), though under the swarm description it says "to scatter, take a concentration maneuver"... seems like a contradiction...
Actually its not a contradiction... Body of Swarm gives you:
A normal body of flesh (Switchable)
A diffuse body (IT (Diffuse))
The ability to scatter (Swarm)

read the last sentence:
Regaining cohesion takes a second concentrate maneuver (Swarm = Switchable);
Returning to ordinary flesh calls for a further Ready maneuver (Switchable)

EDIT: I put Always On to -50% as for Insubstantial (since that is what you are in effect)
Old 05-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #253
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Hole in the World

Invisibility to Magical Detection [40] + Static (Magic) [30] + Zeroed (Divination Only, -50%) [5]. Note: Magic doesn't exist for you, and you don't exist for magery. Magical senses cannot detect you: for a mage who can't see or hear you, you don't exist, even if he's the most powerful diviner in the world. Spells casted on you pass through you as you weren't there, affecting people and item right behind you (since you can use that for many purposes, that's a 0-point feature). Finally, divination can't catch any detail of your past or future: you aren't mentioned in profecies and can heavily interfere in their course, since your actions can't be foreseen.
All that comes with a price: benefical magic cannot aid you, and you can't trigger magic items at all. You pose a terrific threat for any mage crossing your way, and someone could even think to use you as a weapon against magic users.
Ability inspired by Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of the Truth" novel series. 75 points.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #254
Rhino

This thread is awesome. You guys are great. I am going to run a Gamma World 4e game and this thread is full of mutations for me. Now I need to contribute. When will the pdf be ready?
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:29 AM   #255
Gurps Fan

Three spell-like abilities for the Body Alteration power:

Quadriplegia (+150%): Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Must perform specific incantations and gestures, -10%; Costs Fatigue, 2 FP, -10%; Disdvantage, Quadriplegic, +80%; Magical, -10%; Malediction 1, +100%) [25]. 25 points.
Liquefy Bodies (-50%): Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Accessibility, Must perform specific incantations and gestures, -10%; Affects Others, +50%; Costs Fatigue, 2 FP, -10%; Infiltration, +40%; Magical, -10%; Not Diffuse, -100%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%) [50]. 50 points.
Grow Tentacles (+650%): Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Must perform specific incantations and gestures, -10%; Advantage, Extra Arm with Extra-Frexible, +150%; Costs Fatigue, 2 FP, -10%; Cumulative, +400%; Magical, -10%; Malediction 1, +100%; Secondary, Advantage, Extra Arm with Extra-Frexible, +30%) [75]. 75 points.

Quadriplegia
Regular/Resisted by HT

Renders the subject's four limbs nonfunctioning. During the spell's duration, treat him as having Quadriplegic disadvantage. The subject cannot move on foot or wield a weapon with hands, but he remains conscious and his sight, hearing, speech etc. stay intact. He can use spells or other abilities that require no hand or foot gestures.
Duration: 1 minute per margin of success/victory (minimum 1 minute).
Cost: 2. Cannot be reduced by high skill.
Time to Cast: 1 second.

Liquefy Bodies
Special

Turns the caster's body into a liquid form, letting him pass through the narrowest chinks in any wall. During the spell's duration, treat the caster as having Injury Tolerance (Diffuse) with the Infiltration enhancement, except that no damage reduction applies.
The caster can also allow another person to "hitch a ride" with this spell, turning that person into liquid together. To do so, the "passenger" (who must be totally willing) must be touching with the caster during the spell's duration; unwilling subjects resist automatically. Only one person at a time can hitch a ride.
Duration: Indefinite.
Cost: 2 to activate, 1 per minute to maintain. Cannot be reduced by high skill.

Grow Tentacles
Regular/Resisted by HT

Creates a fully-functional tentacle that extrudes from the subject; on a success by 5+ or critical success, two tentacles grow out at a time! Unwilling subjects can choose to resist with HT. Repeated castings can add any number of tentacles on the same subject. Treat the tentacles exactly as Extra Arms with the Extra-Flexible enhancement.
Duration: 1 minute per margin of success/victory (minimum 1 minute).
Cost: 2. Cannot be reduced by high skill.

Last edited by Gurps Fan; 05-18-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:27 AM   #256
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
Liquefy Bodies (-50%): Injury Tolerance (Accessibility, Must perform specific incantations and gestures, -10%; Affects Others, +50%; Costs Fatigue, 2 FP, -10%; Infiltration, +40%; Magical, -10%; Not Diffuse, -100%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%) [50]. 50 points.
Very cool idea...
I personally would use the rule on (Modifiying Beings with two Arms (from Extra Arms) and create: Infiltration [40]
Besides I doubt that Affects Others is legal, rather you would have to create it as an Affliction.

Liquefy Bodies [25]
Infiltration (Max Duration 10 min -50%: 2FP/min -10%; Magic -10%) [12]
Afflitcion 1 (Infiltration (As above) +120%; Melee C -30%; Preparation required 1h -50%; Magic -10%) [13]
OK, not so much of a spell anymore...
Old 05-18-2006, 08:48 AM   #257
Der Wanderer

Bertha’s Blade [25]
IA +4 (Impaling; ST-Based +100%; Melee (Reach 1) -25%; Breakable -15%; Can Be Stolen (QC of ST) -30%; Unique -25%; Destructive Parry +15%) [13]
IA +3 (Cutting; ST-Based +100%; Melee (Reach 1) -25%; Breakable -15%; Can Be Stolen (QC of ST) -30%; Unique -25%; Destructive Parry +15%) [9/5 = 2]
Weapon Master (Broadsword; Breakable -15%; Can Be Stolen (QC of ST) -30%; Unique -25%) [6]
Enhanced Parry 2 (Broadsword; Breakable -15%; Can Be Stolen (QC of ST) -30%; Unique -25%) [3]
Weapon Bond (Bertha’s Blade) [1]
Gadget

Description:
Its inspired by Rev_Pee_Kittys site on Heavier Weapons for Stronger Characters
You have a broadsword made of extremely dense material that weights 12 lbs. Its so heavy that you need at least ST 20 to wield it. Most weapons will shatter attempting to parry this mighty sword. But that is not all, the sword feels extremely comfortable in your hand and lets you parry swiftly…

Designer Notes:
- +4 was priced as 1d+1 and +3 as 1d of damage
- Enhanced Parry / Weapon Bond / Weapon Master were added to reach the magical 25 CPs
Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #258
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Very cool idea...
Doumo arigatou (^^)

Quote:
Besides I doubt that Affects Others is legal, rather you would have to create it as an Affliction.
I believe it's legal. Powers clearly says that traits that can have Affect Others include movement abilities such as Permeation (p.108). In Liquefy Bodies above, I regarded the Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Infiltration) not as a literal "injury tolerance", but a sort of movement ability, as it were, "Permeation (Very Narrow Chinks)". Additionally, Affliction affects unwilling targets as well as willing ones (see also Powers p.108) -- that doesn't exactly fit my conception.

Quote:
I personally would use the rule on (Modifiying Beings with two Arms (from Extra Arms) and create: Infiltration [40]
Personally I strongly agree with you. I wish the rules treated Injury Tolerance (Diffuse) [100] and Infiltration [40] as two different, independent advantages (in fact, the former is a defensive physical characteristic, and the latter a exotic movement ability). If they were separate entities, I'd choose to attach Affect Others to Infiltration, not to IT (Diffuse), and it would make more sense.

However, the post #1 regulates, "All abilities must follow 'standard' GURPS rules, so no homebrew base advantages allowed." . . . and there's no "Infiltration [40]" in standard GURPS. I'm aware that inventing something like "Diffuse (Not Diffuse, -100%)" seems quite unnatural, but it was unavoidable.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #259
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
However, the post #1 regulates, "All abilities must follow 'standard' GURPS rules, so no homebrew base advantages allowed." . . . and there's no "Infiltration [40]" in standard GURPS. I'm aware that inventing something like "Diffuse (Not Diffuse, -100%)" seems quite unnatural, but it was unavoidable.
You don't think the legality of a -100% limitation is questionable?

If a character has Infiltration, what's the rationale for not having any of the IT properties of Diffuse? Maybe a limited form of Permeation would be better.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #260
Almafeta

Six Faces [75]
Five 0-point Alternate Forms [75]

You have six different forms: your 'true' form (which ages normally), and six others (the 0-point human template). These five other forms must be created at chargen, and you may decide on any details, including age, gender, race, eye color, skin color, hair color, voice, scars, DNA, fingerprints, etc. All your basic traits -- attributes, advantages, disadvantages, skills, etc. -- are the same. Unless it is publically known that you have six identities, social disadvantages like Enemy should be taken with the "Only in X form" for -20% to the value of the disadvantage.

Optionally, you may take forms of less than 0 points as your alternate forms. Remember that these racial templates still benefit from your non-racial stat increases: A DX 12 IQ 12 human would become a DX 14 IQ 6 wolf, for example.
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers