Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
beckerc

Default lifting capacity: B14

I understand how to calculate lifting capacity, but I don't understand what it refers to. Basic Lift is clearly defined (pounds over your head with one hand in one second) and is also used to calculate encumbrance levels. But what lifting capacity refers to in game terms is not clear to me. If you have BL figured, do you ever need to refer to lifting capacity?
beckerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: lifting capacity: B14

"Lifting capacity" is just a phrase to tell you what Basic Lift is about. All the calculations are based on Basic Lift, and you don't need to record lifting capacity.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Anaraxes

The paragraph is just trying to illustrate "proportional to the square of ST". "Lifting capacity" is not a game-mechanical stat.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
beckerc

Thanks for your response. I figured it was some explanatory term and not a characteristic, but the given formula "the square of ST" made me wonder if it was meant to be calculated or not. I'll leave it alone and focus on BL.
beckerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerc View Post
Thanks for your response. I figured it was some explanatory term and not a characteristic, but the given formula "the square of ST" made me wonder if it was meant to be calculated or not. I'll leave it alone and focus on BL.
Get into Campaigns and there's more about Lifting and Moving things and it's all defined by BL.

Tags
basic set, strength