Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 AM   #1
DRaider_GR

Default Curses that make you lose Half-Breed or Super Munchkin

There is Curse! Lose your Class and Curse! Change Class. And Curse! Lose your Race, Curse! Change Race.

I remember that i've read in older threads that in case of Change Class, you lose Super Munchkin card no matter if you find or not, a Class in discards.
In case of Change Race, you lose Half-Breed card no matter if you find or not, a Race in discards.
In case of Lose your Race and having one Race card with Half-Breed, you lose Half-Breed card and you can't play another Race immediately, to keep it.
But in case of Lose your Class and having one Class card with Super Munchkin, you could immediately play a new Class to keep Super Munchkin.
Now i read that this is not legal anymore? The truth is i don't remember how old those threads were.

That means if you have one Class with Super Munchkin and you want to replace your Class, that you have to lose Super Munchkin card, even if you do it immediately?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Curses that make you lose Half-Breed or Super Munchkin

I've moved this to its own thread because it wasn't a follow-up to the original question.

I'm not sure which threads you are referring to, and if you would like to provide links to them so we could address them, that would be great.

However, if something tells you to lose (or change) your Race or Class, your Race or Class is represented by all Race or Class cards you have in play, including the card which allows you to have multiple Races or Classes (with some very limited exceptions, like a Dungeon which makes every player a certain Race or Class). If a card tells you to lose a Race or Class, but not your or Race or Class, then if you had two Races or Classes, you wouldn't lose Half-Breed or Super Munchkin. If you had one, you'd lose Half-Breed or Super Munchkin, since you'd be without a Race or Class long enough to lose those cards, and you can not play a card in response to another card unless the card you are playing specifically says that's how it works (e.g., Wishing Ring).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
DRaider_GR

I'm sure for what i wrote above, but there is no need to search for the old threads. I'll follow this from now on (just have to update my notes again, ah!).

And about my question:
"That means if you have one Class with Super Munchkin and you want to replace your Class, that you have to lose Super Munchkin card, even if you do it immediately?"
well, looks like the answer is no, because you weren't forced to replace it (by card or bad stuff), so it is like you put a 2nd Class in play, you discard the 1st one you wanted to replace and Super Munchkin stays were it was.

Last edited by DRaider_GR; 07-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.
DRaider_GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

There is a lot of confusion going on here. For clarity, I'm going to refer strictly to Super Munchkin and Classes, but everything I'm saying also applies to Races/Half-Breed, Mojos/Double Mojo, and so on.

If you have Super Munchkin in play with two Classes and want to discard one to play another, there's no problem; just do it. If you have Super Munchkin in play with one Class and want to discard it to play another, play the second Class first and then discard the first one. No problems here.

If you have Super Munchkin in play with only one Class and you are *forced* to lose or change your Class, Super Munchkin goes with it. You have to react to the loss/change effect before you can do anything else, and Super Munchkin is quite clear that once you discard all your Classes, you lose Super Munchkin as well. There is no window to play a new Class to keep the Super Munchkin card.

If you have Super Munchkin in play with two Classes, things depend on what the effect actually says. Almost all of them say "Class(es)," meaning if you have two Classes, lose or discard them both. In that case, Super Munchkin goes with them, as well. If an effect specifically says, "If you have multiple Classes, choose one to lose [or change]," then the Class you don't discard protects Super Munchkin, and you are allowed to keep it.

The key distinction here is whether you are changing Class because you want to, in which case you can always work it so Super Munchkin is protected, or because you are forced to, in which case you will almost always lose Super Munchkin as well.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Correct, choosing to replace one Class or Race with another is different than being forced to lose it. You're saying, "I'm not a Half-Elf any more, I'm a Half-Halfling."
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
MunchkinQueen84

Thanks for the Clarification! Our playing group had the same question, glad it's resolved :D