Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
The Bearded One

Default Being attuned to a Cherub

I'm running a all-demon In Nomine campaign and I just had a situation come up that doesn't seem to be addressed in the books.

A high-ranking NPC Cherub just stealthily attuned to two of the PC demons. Now the attunement itself is a Resonance, so it causes no Symphonic disturbance for the demons to detect, right? Is there any way for the demons to know that they have been the subject of attunement by this Cherub? And if they can discover that fact, is there anything they can do to break that attunement?

-- A genuinely mystified GM.
Player - G4e Sex Crossbows (Dungeon Fantasy)
Player - Deadlands
The Bearded One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Jason

Default Re: Being attuned to a Cherub

If I remember correctly, angelic resonances (save for the Kyriotate's) are all perfectly silent and undetectable to other celestials, and cannot be resisted naturally. If you do somehow figure out a Cherub is attuned to you, however, there are indeed at least two ways to get back at the angel:

1. The Song of Revulsion (in Liber Canticorum) can sever the Cherub's attunement. You don't even have to know the attunement is there; using it successfully will sever an attunement if one does happen to be there, though.

2. Allow your vessel to be destroyed. This will cause the Cherub to suffer dissonance. (This is probably only really worth it if you have a spare vessel stowed in a Body Bag and REALLY want to mess with an angel, though.)
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
William

Knowing it's there:

Very tricky. Angels are subtle in the Symphony. Probably only deducible when you realize what the Cherub is doing following you around.

Do note: A Cherub isn't just allowed to attune to you and use it to track you. He is now responsible for your well-being. He may interpret that as Redemption attempts in the long run, and hampering your goals now, but for outright combat, he may feel obliged to help you out -- especially if it goes celestial! He may lie about his motives, though.

Breakage:

Get a Djinn of Fate to attune to you, then have him break it. Or just let it wear off.

Get some Djinn Fuzz.

Note: destroying your Vessel may or may not work. If the Cherub knew he was attuned to a celestial, the celestial, rather than the body, may be the attuned, in which case Vessel death is insufficient to shake it off.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Methariel

And to make things complicated: If it was a Cherub of Judgment, does he really need to defend you? I'm currently unable to look into Superiors 1, but I believe they may attune to you and don't suffer dissonance if you get harmed and this could be considered a fitting punishment for your crime (which, by being a demon, is punishable by death).

M.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Omegonthesane

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Note: destroying your Vessel may or may not work. If the Cherub knew he was attuned to a celestial, the celestial, rather than the body, may be the attuned, in which case Vessel death is insufficient to shake it off.
I've seen the opposite ruled by each of the three people who've slotted in as my group's GM, simply to avoid Cherubim being able to attune the cel-forms of the whole player party for no cost other than the reduced number of targets. As far as I know there's no question that letting a Saint's vessel be destroyed is dissonant for his Cherub minio^H^H^H^H^Hguardian.

Also, offhand Song of Affinity can probably do something to track the connection back to source, similar to how it can hunt down Geas-hooks.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
The Bearded One

None of the PC demons have access to the Song of Revulsion, and since they haven't figured out that they're being tracked at all, it may be a long, long time before they figure out that something fishy is up.

Thanks for all your suggestions and knowledge.

If folks here would like, I can try to keep you up to date on news from my campaign (simply called "The Word").
Player - G4e Sex Crossbows (Dungeon Fantasy)
Player - Deadlands
The Bearded One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bearded One View Post
If folks here would like, I can try to keep you up to date on news from my campaign (simply called "The Word").
Sure, why not? It isn't as if we're overloaded with posts here at the moment...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bearded One View Post

I'd love to see it!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Whitelaughter

Most demons won't have the resources to find out, and even if they do, what are the odds of them using it when they need it?

The solution, from Hell's perspective, is simple: self-destructive acts. You don't need death to give the Cherub dissonance! Take a drug, cut yourself, hurt your reputation, listen to a Balseraph, lose a friend - in short, be a demon. Pick acts that further Allied words and you'll even end up ahead!
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel View Post
And to make things complicated: If it was a Cherub of Judgment, does he really need to defend you? I'm currently unable to look into Superiors 1, but I believe they may attune to you and don't suffer dissonance if you get harmed and this could be considered a fitting punishment for your crime (which, by being a demon, is punishable by death).

M.
I do have it handy--it's one of my favorites. You are correct, the Cherub suffers no dissonance if his attuned is hurt, and may in fact do the hurting. However, they're still attuned and still want to protect their charge. If they're attuned to a bad guy, they won't hand him over to anyone who isn't Judgement, and I would rule that vessel-killing him constitutes 'handing him over' to Hell.

Tags
cherubim, resonances