Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default [MA/Imbuements] Ranged Imbuements and Heroic Archer

This came up after the game last night, and the GM's wondering if she made the right call. (We're not going to change the action, but a little advice on how its best handled will be appreciated.)

Basically, my super-archer - with Striking ST 18, Heroic Archer, Imbue 3 (Psychokinetic), Weapon Master: Bow, Strongbow, Weapon Bond (Bow), Bow-30, Fast-Draw (Arrow)-18, and Homing Weapon-21 - draws an arrow and fires it in the same round, guiding the sleep gas arrow into the bad guy's mouth at a range of 50 yards. The Bow roll was such that I didn't even need to make the Homing Weapon roll before-hand, so we're letting the shot stand anyways (I rolled a 9; which would have been a pass by 10 after all bonii and penalties, or a pass by 18 using Homing Weapon).

After rereading the Homing Weapon description, it's noted that you must take an Aim maneuver to "lock on" to the target. Heroic Archer seems to indicate that you don't need to Aim for many shots. Would Heroic Archer supersede the Aim requirement for Homing Weapon, or no?

Summary of bonuses and penalties:
To hit the mouth/jaw: -6
Range 50 yards: -8
Acc of the Bow: +3
Homing Weapon-21: Ignore Range Penalties
Heroic Archer: Acc of Bow w/out Aiming
Effective Skill Bow-31 before other Acc, Range, and Hit Location modifiers

Roll of 9

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: [MA/Imbuements] Ranged Imbuements and Heroic Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
This came up after the game last night, and the GM's wondering if she made the right call. (We're not going to change the action, but a little advice on how its best handled will be appreciated.)

Basically, my super-archer - with Striking ST 18, Heroic Archer, Imbue 3 (Psychokinetic), Weapon Master: Bow, Strongbow, Weapon Bond (Bow), Bow-30, Fast-Draw (Arrow)-18, and Homing Weapon-21 - draws an arrow and fires it in the same round, guiding the sleep gas arrow into the bad guy's mouth at a range of 50 yards. The Bow roll was such that I didn't even need to make the Homing Weapon roll before-hand, so we're letting the shot stand anyways (I rolled a 9; which would have been a pass by 10 after all bonii and penalties, or a pass by 18 using Homing Weapon).

After rereading the Homing Weapon description, it's noted that you must take an Aim maneuver to "lock on" to the target. Heroic Archer seems to indicate that you don't need to Aim for many shots. Would Heroic Archer supersede the Aim requirement for Homing Weapon, or no?

Roll of 9
Well, not in my games (And I've got 2 375 DF chars with Imbuements in my DF game, a Mystic Knight tank and a Scout-Mystic Knight [AKA Gatling]), pick Guided Weapon for that, and make sure that the target is in your 1/d D damage. Now, I think that Kromm has stated that a gunslinger with a homing missile launcher can lock on on the run, without needing to take an Aim maneuver. This makes Homing Weapon completely replace Guided Weapon though, and I like having both have their uses.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Well, not in my games (And I've got 2 375 DF chars with Imbuements in my DF game, a Mystic Knight tank and a Scout-Mystic Knight [AKA Gatling]), pick Guided Weapon for that, and make sure that the target is in your 1/d D damage. Now, I think that Kromm has stated that a gunslinger with a homing missile launcher can lock on on the run, without needing to take an Aim maneuver. This makes Homing Weapon completely replace Guided Weapon though, and I like having both have their uses.
Yeah, Guided Weapon is fun for those weapons where you can alter the arrow's direction in mid-flight through Concentration maneuvers - in-genre example would be Yondu of the Guardians of the Galaxy whistling to guide his sound-sensitive yaka arrow in mid-air. Homing Weapon is one where the archer doesn't need to Concentrate while it's in flight to hit.

As the archer is a latent psychokinetic who doesn't know he has powers, I gave him Homing Weapon; lock on and fire, without concentrating.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
davidtmoore

Interesting. Strictly speaking, I believe the Aim maneuver with the Imbeument is separate from actually aiming the weapon, but I'd tend to allow the Heroic Archer advantage to waive the requirement.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post

Roll of 9
Unless the sleep gas is a special effect for an imbuement attack that turns physical damage into sleep, there's a serious problem. The sleep gas sounds like a follow up attack, so the arrow through the mouth damage will occur and kill they uy your trying to kayo.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Unless the sleep gas is a special effect for an imbuement attack that turns physical damage into sleep, there's a serious problem. The sleep gas sounds like a follow up attack, so the arrow through the mouth damage will occur and kill they uy your trying to kayo.
The sleep gas arrow is a specialty trick arrow (bought with money; expendable Signature Gear to be precise) that converts the damage into an Affliction that does Unconsciousness.

Besides, the target was effectively invulnerable to regular damage; gas attacks are among the few things he was vulnerable to (asphyxiation due to air loss another).

Tags
heroic archer, imbuements, martial arts