Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
phayman53

Default [MH2: The Enemy] Question about Vampire Damage Reduction

I just ran a MH session last night where the hunters had to fight a mature vampire. One thing I missed was the "Damage Reduction 2" part of the Vampire's "Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2, Unliving)". That just means that this vampire was somewhere between a Feral and a Mature Vampire.

However, in the future if I want to throw a full Mature vampire at the hunters, I was wondering how do Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2) and Vulnerability (Heat/Fire/Stake x2) interact? At first I would assume that they just cancel each other out, so fire, stakes, and heat just do their normal damage to a mature vampire (instead of double). However, when I look at the text of Vulnerability (Basic pg. 161), it says, "you cannot have Vulnerability to anything against which you have a specific defense: Resistant, Damage Resistance limited to work only against that attack form, etc." Does this mean that the Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2) does not apply to damage from heat, fire, or stakes? Or does it still apply since the damage reduction is not specifically targeted at those damage types?

Thanks!
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: [MH2: The Enemy] Question about Vampire Damage Reduction

From p. 11, "...its Vulnerability means that flames and stakes to the heart do normal damage."

The Damage Reduction isn't a specific defense against fire and heart shots; it's really not much different than buying a bunch of extra HP. So it applies, but then the Vulnerability basically cancels it out.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
phayman53

Default Re: [MH2: The Enemy] Question about Vampire Damage Reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
From p. 11, "...its Vulnerability means that flames and stakes to the heart do normal damage."

The Damage Reduction isn't a specific defense against fire and heart shots; it's really not much different than buying a bunch of extra HP. So it applies, but then the Vulnerability basically cancels it out.
Ugh, I missed that line. I seem to have searched everywhere but the paragraph right above the Mature Vampire's stat block. Thank you so much for getting back to me and pointing out the obvious, I feel sheepish now...
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage reduction, monster hunter, vampires, vulnerabilities