Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #21
Icelander

Default Re: Arrest Techniques Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I'm not a law enforcement officer, but as a youth-worker I am certified in passive restraint ("Handle With Care" and "TCI" ) and I was one of the playtesters for TG.

IIRC, there was some debate about whether Passive Restraint should teach Judo instead of Wrestling, because we learn to defend against weapons (improvised knives, mostly) and Judo is much better at that in GURPS. We (rightly, I think) decided against it for Passive Restraint, but the arguments in favor of Judo may be stronger for police officers.
Judo as an Optional Skill makes a lot of sense, yes.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #22
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: LE/Police Hand-to-Hand, Arrest Techniques, Control Tactics or Use of Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
When the Coast Guard goes to the Med, the armed teams aboard are trained by NATO. At least that's understanding.
That says nothing about which budget the money comes from or whether that budget is defined as defense spending.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #23
Icelander

Default Re: LE/Police Hand-to-Hand, Arrest Techniques, Control Tactics or Use of Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
That says nothing about which budget the money comes from or whether that budget is defined as defense spending.
As far as I know, the Coast Guard has a financial incentive to spend time in foreign waters, as that means that a significant part of their training and operations costs are borne by foreign allies.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #24
Žorkell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
As far as I know, the Coast Guard has a financial incentive to spend time in foreign waters, as that means that a significant part of their training and operations costs are borne by foreign allies.
That might be the case and isn't the point I'm disputing. And FWIW that's a continuation of the Icelandic trend of getting foreigners to pay for our stuff that goes BANG! and/or BOOM!.

I'm having trouble with the following: Coast Guard budget = defense spending = counts towards the 2% of GDP NATO requirement.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #25
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
The Coast Guard is under the Treasury in peacetime and the Navy in wartime and presumably it's budget is written in the books appropriately.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #26
Žorkell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
The Coast Guard is under the Treasury in peacetime and the Navy in wartime and presumably it's budget is written in the books appropriately.
That's wrong on so many counts. First, we were talking about the Icelandic Coast Guard, as should have been obvious since Icelander talks about a former member of his gaming group who is a member of the Coast Guard. Icelander, as the name implies, resides in Iceland, and there is no USCG presence here.

In Iceland the Coast Guard falls under the Department of the Interior.

Second, you don't even know your own system. As cam be seen on the homepage of the USCG it is under the Department of Homeland Security, just look at what the banner at the top of the front page says.

Incidentally while writing this post I discovered that the Icelandic and US Coast Guards have almost the same motto. Always Prepared (IS) and Always Ready (US), granted they are in different languages.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:38 PM   #27
sjard
Stick in the Mud

<Moderator>
The Coast Guard political tangent does not belong on these boards, please drop it.
Thank You.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law enforcement, martial arts, pass limb, police, style familiarity, teamwork