Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Dalren

Default Gunslinger/Heroic Archer for Mages

Is there a Gunslinger/Heroic Archer equivalent for spells? If not, what would it improve and what would the cost be? What limitations (One Spell Only, One College Only, etc) would you allow and what point values would you give them? For starters, it should allow probably add the Acc bonus of missile spells without the need to Aim (consistent with Gunslinger/Heroic Archer). It should probably also allow using missile spells by touch (since there are no bulk penalties to reduce in the case of close combat). For example, a Fireball spell that was already charged could be delivered by touch, working just like Burning Touch but with an increased max energy cost and damage (Fireball allows up to 3xMagery while Burning Touch only allows up to 3 points).
Dalren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Gunslinger/Heroic Archer for Mages

If all it's doing is adding the spell's Acc without needing to Aim, it's generally more point-efficient to just improve the attack skill. (For boosting a single spell's to-hit chance, the Psychic Guidance perk is a great bargain.) The real benefits of Gunslinger and Heroic Archer are the special options they unlock and the various penalties they reduce. In cinematic games, ranged fighters will spend a lot of time on the move, and those traits mitigate the penalties they face. Mages require Concentrate maneuvers to cast spells, which doesn't have a "Move and..." option. In short, there's not a lot of benefit Mages could get from a "Spellslinger" trait.

For the option of casting an already-charged Missile spell as a Melee spell, I could see that as a per-spell Perk.

EDIT: Here's a recent thread that discussed some of these, and did propose a few traits for advanced spellcasters: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=62167

Last edited by vierasmarius; 07-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Harald387

You may find some of the house rules homebrewed here useful:

http://westmarchsaga.wikia.com/wiki/...missile_spells
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
RogerBacon

I'd let it change the concentrate maneuver required for spellcasting to an attack maneuver and then use the same rules for multiple attacks as trained by a master (-3 per attack instead of -6). Of course, this would only be in a cinematic setting.
RogerBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Derago

In the distant past I allowed my players' combat mages to be able to Aim while concentrating, take penalting to skill to reduce resistances (similar to deceptive attack) with some spells, and a roll to pump more energy that turn into their spell (it gave them a reason to roll dice on turns when the would otherwise just say 'I concentrate'). There might have been other things that I don't remember too, but it was a 10- or 15-point advantage (Combative Spellcasting, I think we called it).
Derago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gunslinger, heroic archer, magic