Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default Missile Spells

Pardon me if this has already been brought up....

I always felt that Missile Spells gave a bit too much "Bang for your Buck" than other spells and often encouraged lazy solutions to problems; "blast the monster!"

Also, the fact that the Wizard could pump as much ST as he wanted into them meant it was possible to fry even powerful monsters with a 6-8 die bolt in a single round. Although I used them when playing a wizard, I kinda felt they were cheating.

Now, I know that a 6-8 die missile spell is going to seriously deplete a Wizards power, but then so is summoning a Giant for a few turns (I also felt summoning spells were weak compared to other spells for their cost). And of course, they could potentially be "dodged". But I would still like a cap on them.

I was thinking of having four Spells with set damage levels and increasing IQ requirements: Magic Fist 1d6/2ST, Magic Bolt 2d6/3ST, Fireball 3d6/4ST and Lightning Bolt 4d6/5ST. If you really want an unlimited ST missile Spell you could have Wizards Wrath as a very high IQ spell.

This allows the Wizard to retain some Missile capability but caps the power a bit.

What do you guys think? Or were Missile spells never a problem for you? I'm interested in your views.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote