Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: 8 Suns for 9 days, for one day is spent with none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Is it really that linear? I've been burned before assuming anything involving astronomy is that straightforward.
If you assume heat capacities are constant and the temperature change was insignificant compared to the starting temperature. Since it isn't - clear nightly temperature drops can be 10% of the absolute temperature, and the rate of change goes as the fourth power of the current temperature and 0.9^4 is 0.0656.... Tossing in some reasonable looking numbers I get a factor 2.61 rather than 3, but that would also take me through the freezing point of water for that same set of numbers, which messes up the constant heat capacity assumption big time that doesn't mean a lot.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
It's not about air humidity at all, as far as I know.
Relative humidity determines the dew point, and dew formation releases heat, thus slowing down the temperature drop. However, the bigger factor is bodies of liquid water, as they have a combination of large amounts of heat capacity and reasonably fast heat conduction.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
If you assume heat capacities are constant and the temperature change was insignificant compared to the starting temperature. Since it isn't - clear nightly temperature drops can be 10% of the absolute temperature, and the rate of change goes as the fourth power of the current temperature and 0.9^4 is 0.0656.... Tossing in some reasonable looking numbers I get a factor 2.61 rather than 3, but that would also take me through the freezing point of water for that same set of numbers, which messes up the constant heat capacity assumption big time that doesn't mean a lot.
That is one thing I wished got put in Space for planets of night day cycles noticeably different from Earth's.
How long can days/nights be before temperature changes get non-conducive to even vaguely earth like multicellular life?
Here in Beaverton, the high was 98 and expected low of 63 degrees F. So double nights would cause it to eventually drop to only 7 degrees F?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
dcarson

You can apparently make ice in the Sahara by exposing thin pans of water to clear night sky. You need to insulate it on the sids and top and put insulation over it during the day but it will freeze in one or two nights. So a 36 hour night on a dry clear area will get ice forming even if it was hot during the day. I'm reading stuff on Tibet for a game you apparently get 90 degree F days and freezing nights during the summer.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
You can apparently make ice in the Sahara by exposing thin pans of water to clear night sky. You need to insulate it on the sids and top and put insulation over it during the day but it will freeze in one or two nights. So a 36 hour night on a dry clear area will get ice forming even if it was hot during the day. I'm reading stuff on Tibet for a game you apparently get 90 degree F days and freezing nights during the summer.
Yes. It may be a sign of how well adapted/how long inhabited the humans in the world are by the relative numbers of weatherwise who begin to prepare a night ahead and the foolish young people who are caught away from shelter during Longnight and suffer miserably or even freeze to death.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

We're talking about big temperature drops-- its worth noting that if the world is habitable you have exremely heat right before the temperature drops off.

If you don't want the huge temperature drop, you can always have an 'infrared sun' that provides heat but not light.

Come to think of it, pit vipers and animals with similar mechnaisms will LOVE the long dark. you can see and much of your prey can't? score!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:58 AM   #17
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
We're talking about big temperature drops-- its worth noting that if the world is habitable you have exremely heat right before the temperature drops off.
This isn't a rule here, why would it be there? Blue northers happen when it's already cold, for instance.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
darkness, day, fantasy, night, worldbuilding