Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #71
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: User Made Items for GCA4

I've just uploaded my Mini-Character Lenses for GURPS data file. This file is based on three Pyramid articles that were published in the eZine version of Pyramid back in 2006. The first article, Mini-Character Lenses for GURPS, is still available free online. Unfortunately the other two articles, Lens-Men and Lens-Men II , are not readily available anymore.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #72
hal

Hi folks,
A while back, I was bored, and took GURPS HIGH TECH data file, and deleted all non-weapon entries from the file, and saved it as GURPS OLD WEST.gdf. Then I scrubbed it of all weapons TL 7 and higher and gave them new categories titled Old West - Subcategory (what ever the subcategory is/was). Once I got that to work, I was emboldened to try creating a new data file from scratch so to speak. I put together 119 elements from GURPS HIGH TECH ADVENTURE GUNS (and I didn't proof them yet for errors, so there are bound to be a few - as I am certainly not infallible when it comes to data entry!).

For a while there, I could not get the file to load at all, this despite the fact that I divided up the data lines into three lines with the same elements as is found in the GURPS HIGH TECH data file. Then I started to find the small stuff that would make it impossible to load, and found that some entries that had 2.75" as part of the description can not be entered that way in the data file (substituted " for inch). So, finally, I finished the file.

I used a macro to create the actual "guts" that went into the equipment file containing only the guns from GURPS HIGH TECH ADVENTURE GUNS - and it worked (not without some perplexing errors that took some time to weed out due to my inexperience). That macro will hopefully allow me to create my own weapons using Doug Coles ballistics formula, and real world data on weapons with real muzzle velocity and bullet weights. Clearly, this kind of data file would NOT be official, and about the only use for it might be someone who wants to use them for an ATE type campaign or something.

Long story short, the macro works after a fashion, and can stand some improvements before I'd give it out to people. I'd also release the actual code as a text kind of thing and give people instructions on how to create their own macro on their own machine so that they can at least understand what is going on and how (VBA is essentially the dumb cousin of VB.NET).

So, macro is available to anyone if they want it, and I can customize it for anyone who wants to customize it for their own use. The Adventure guns GDF can be given to someone, an hopefully they can verify the data is correct, and I will likely have a go at it myself before too long (just got a lot of things to do this weekend).

So, how do I upload the file to some place, or who do I send the 86.6 kilobyte file as an email attachment to?

I'm always open to suggestions on how I can improve things, and if someone wants to tell me how to set up say, an advantage section, or any other "sections" that is to be automated, feel free to email me saying "Hey Hal, want to work on a vba macro for me?"

I'm really thankful for the work others have put into the data files, and being able to give back at least ONE file in return would make me feel "good" as it were.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #73
Praxian

I've updated a Mage: The Ascension gdf to be compatible with 4th edition GURPS.

Corrections done as followed:

Advantages

Categories are Magi, Magi Spheres, and Magi Essences,
Arete requires Avatar,
Avatars need Essences (although I haven't figured out how to make essences pop up as required for Avatars yet),

Skills

Cleared out most skills because they were already in the basic book. Do is a specific name for an "Ultimate" or Origin style. If using Martial Arts, use something along those lines for Do. Skill-wise the only thing brought in here from before is the following:

Area Knowledge the Umbra and Survival Umbra

Arete has been modified so that it's a Will/VH skill with a limit on it based on your Arete level

Rotes are included (quite a few rotes actually) from mostly 2nd & 3rd ed, some modified for the 20th Anniversary Edition. I've included a couple of home-brew rotes as well with explanations as to how they work.

There's also a new "Blank Rote" which will ask you to name the rote, ask what spheres you want to use for it (do not use a single sphere more than once, just pick the highest level of that sphere), and it will automatically give you a -1 to every sphere beyond the first representing difficulty. They're setup as "Techniques", so 2 points required for the first level and 1 point for every additional level after that. (Thanks Armin and Eric for helping me get that ironed out).

Get this GDF Here
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #74
drhippensteel

We are about to start Star Wars game. I was wondering if anyone had converted the races into a gdf file for use with GCA?
drhippensteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #75
KataH

If only I had the time to fix some of the existing data files, especially High-Tech, and create some new ones.
So much time, so little to do - wait, strike that, reverse it!

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #76
Say, it isn't that bad!

I like the Pyramid article "Knowing Your Own Strength" in 3/83, so I wrote it up as a GCA4 data file. This article changes how ST progresses Basic Lift and Basic Damage to a logarithmic model, and also makes ST more capable per point. The set comes with five variant files for calculating HP; details on the variants are given below.

Warning: Incomplete. This is also my first GCA file, so feel free to review and critique. :)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...M6?usp=sharing

I did some math and came up with five options for how to adjust HP to make room for the changes:

1. Convert from the new ST value to an "old ST value" and from there directly to HP.
1a. Upside: Maintains the relationship between Basic Lift and HP.
1b. Downside: Characters gain a lot of HP, such that it is always far more useful to increase ST than HP.
2. Use the formula in the book.
2a. Upside: It is in the book.
2b. Note: Adds a new stat to the Attributes tab.
2c. Downside: Since the new Weight stat is free, this requires GM adjudication.
3. Reverse the formula in the book; derive Weight from HP.
3a. Upside: It is also, arguably, in the book.
3b. Note: Adds a new stat to the Attributes tab.
3c. Downside: ST does not affect HP; and if it did, a ST 16 (human max in this system) character would weigh 512 lb.
4. Use a formula based on the elephant given in the book.
4a. Upside: It is sort-of in the book.
4b. Upside: We can derive this simply from ST.
4c. Downside: Basic Damage from ST increases faster than HP.
5. Maintain the ratio of HP to damage established by the default ST 10, HP 10, and 1d Basic Swing Damage.
5a. Upside: Maybe a better simulation?
5b. Downside: No real editing or verification whatsoever.

So I left the default HP = ST as the default, and included all five as optional variant datafiles, because who needs sleep? (me)
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #77
rkbrown419

I've done a file for Sorcery: Sound Spells here these are modified advantages to make it easy to customize the existing spells for how you want them to work in your campaign. You could change the power modifier to make it work with Divine Favor for clerics for example.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #78
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
So, how do I upload the file to some place, or who do I send the 86.6 kilobyte file as an email attachment to?

I'm always open to suggestions on how I can improve things, and if someone wants to tell me how to set up say, an advantage section, or any other "sections" that is to be automated, feel free to email me saying "Hey Hal, want to work on a vba macro for me?"

I'm really thankful for the work others have put into the data files, and being able to give back at least ONE file in return would make me feel "good" as it were.
I just stuck mine in a google docs folder. Also, this thread has a lot of tumbleweeds. I blame the lack of index.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #79
rkbrown419

[QUOTE=hal;2016195
[/QUOTE]

You can find quite a few at the GCA Repository
Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #80
rkbrown419

I've updated my Simplified Sorcery file to include Sound Spells. This file includes all spells by the book, not suitable for customization.