Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
vladimirthebest

Default Shield Defence Bonus

Question about DB
if i make 3 different defence against 3 different atk in one turn, i can apply the DB of the shield or i can use it only in one defence?
and then, if i block with the shield (and the DB don't make the difference) i can use the db with other defence?
vladimirthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Shield Defence Bonus

DB isn't 'expended' by anything. It applies to any number of defenses, so long as they're from the appropriate facing and are subject to DB. Blocking doesn't disable it. I don't think shield attacks do either.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimirthebest View Post
Question about DB
if i make 3 different defence against 3 different atk in one turn, i can apply the DB of the shield or i can use it only in one defence?
Yes, you can apply the DB of the shield to all three attacks (presuming that they all come from a direction protected by your shield of course).

Quote:
and then, if i block with the shield (and the DB don't make the difference) i can use the db with other defence?
If you mean "other defenses against other attacks" absolutely. You normally can't defend twice against the same attack unless you used All Out Defense Dual, which is a special case - but even then you'd still get your DB.

You don't get the DB if the attack comes from a direction not protected by the shield - if you're wearing a shield on your left arm, it protects you from attacks from the left and the front, not attacks from the right or the rear.

You won't get your DB also, if the attack comes from above or below unless you specifically said you'd defend in those directions - if you do that, you can't use the DB on attacks on your level.

You won't get your DB if your shield isn't Ready to defend - this is rare, but can happen if you critically fail on a Block or on a bash with your shield, or if your attacker specifically pulls your shield unReady, or a couple of other rare occasions.

You also won't get your DB if the attack just plain can't be stopped by a shield, but these attacks are also rather rare.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
vladimirthebest

but if a DB make the difference in one defence, i can still use the db of the shield in other defence?

Last edited by vladimirthebest; 03-22-2011 at 12:51 PM.
vladimirthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
but if a DB make the difference in one defence, i can still use the db of the shield in other defence?
Yes.

Treat DB the same way for any number of attacks.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Phoenix_Dragon

Well, unless the shield is destroyed by that attack, of course :>
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote