Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
McAllister

Default [Statting] [RPM] The Spot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_(comics)

I'm envisioning a character I'd like to play who's essentially similar to The Spot, but shooting bullets through the inertia-conserving portal instead of punching (and ignoring the Spotworld dimension). Or, for another way to look at it, a character with a portal gun that can apply portals to any solid surface. Two questions:

First, how would you model the ability to project paired portals onto solid surfaces as an advantage? Warp would adequately describe my ability to portal myself around, but what about my ability to create portals to shoot through (and for a prepared opponent to shoot back), or weirder abilities like paired portals on the ceiling and floor to accelerate up to terminal velocity? I'm kinda considering some kind of "objects can pass through" enhancement on Clairsentience, as Clairsentience with some existing modifiers like Aware is a pretty good model of the ability to look through portals.

Second, how would you model it as a ritual in RPM? Greater Create Crossroads (x2 for two portals?) with modifiers for the diameter and "speed" (because distance between portals is considered speed)? If I can create portals on myself to divert attacks (which The Spot likes to do) or portals under myself to move out of the way, that's a pretty typical blocking spell, right? If I want to move one of the paired portals but not the other, am I Controlling Crossroads, or is that just a new Create Crossroads? Can I just say "lasts one minute or until replaced by a different endpoint to its paired portal" is the same Duration costs as one minute?
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Statting] [RPM] The Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
First, how would you model the ability to project paired portals onto solid surfaces as an advantage? Warp would adequately describe my ability to portal myself around, but what about my ability to create portals to shoot through (and for a prepared opponent to shoot back), or weirder abilities like paired portals on the ceiling and floor to accelerate up to terminal velocity? I'm kinda considering some kind of "objects can pass through" enhancement on Clairsentience, as Clairsentience with some existing modifiers like Aware is a pretty good model of the ability to look through portals.
I'd use the Tunnel enhancement and treat this as a type of Power Parry if you're just redirecting the attack at the landscape or the like or at a -5 penalty (Which can be bought off as a Hard technique) if you are redirecting it back at another target. They'd get a normal Active Defense if they've seen you do it before or at -4 if they haven't.

Quote:
Second, how would you model it as a ritual in RPM? Greater Create Crossroads (x2 for two portals?) with modifiers for the diameter and "speed" (because distance between portals is considered speed)? If I can create portals on myself to divert attacks (which The Spot likes to do) or portals under myself to move out of the way, that's a pretty typical blocking spell, right? If I want to move one of the paired portals but not the other, am I Controlling Crossroads, or is that just a new Create Crossroads? Can I just say "lasts one minute or until replaced by a different endpoint to its paired portal" is the same Duration costs as one minute?
Take a look at the ritual "Distant Attack" in this blog post. Differences between portals is range - add speed equal to range if you want instant travel.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'd use the Tunnel enhancement and treat this as a type of Power Parry if you're just redirecting the attack at the landscape or the like or at a -5 penalty (Which can be bought off as a Hard technique) if you are redirecting it back at another target. They'd get a normal Active Defense if they've seen you do it before or at -4 if they haven't.

Take a look at the ritual "Distant Attack" in this blog post. Differences between portals is range - add speed equal to range if you want instant travel.
Wow, that blog post (and your blog in general) is a gold mine. I've skimmed the Gatemaker before, but it didn't come to mind as a resource when I started considering portals, which is on me. You're a real pillar of the community, do you know that?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Wow, that blog post (and your blog in general) is a gold mine. I've skimmed the Gatemaker before, but it didn't come to mind as a resource when I started considering portals, which is on me. You're a real pillar of the community, do you know that?
I'm just a guy that likes games. But thank you. :-) That said - you think my blog is useful and want a say in what's going up, consider becoming a Patron. I'm going to be changing some content (the Patreon only specials) to be just that instead of generally on my site very soon.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
McAllister

Now that you point it out, I'm sure it'll be a worthwhile investment. I'm in.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Now that you point it out, I'm sure it'll be a worthwhile investment. I'm in.
Thank you. I hope to be a worthy investment. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Kalzazz

So, if you include the range, but not the speed, whatever is moving moves at its normal speed between the two points?

Which would then require a duration?

ie. Bob moves at 5 yards a second. He would like to portal from point A and point B which are 100 yards apart. He can buy either 100 range and 100 speed, and the portalling is instant, he steps in one and steps out the other. Or he can buy 100 range, but no speed, and he steps in one, and steps out the other 20 seconds later taking the same time as he would have to move 100 yards normally? (and he buys a duration also, since 20 seconds is not momentary)
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
So, if you include the range, but not the speed, whatever is moving moves at its normal speed between the two points?

ie. Bob moves at 5 yards a second. He would like to portal from point A and point B which are 100 yards apart. He can buy either 100 range and 100 speed, and the portalling is instant, he steps in one and steps out the other. Or he can buy 100 range, but no speed, and he steps in one, and steps out the other 20 seconds later taking the same time as he would have to move 100 yards normally? (and he buys a duration also, since 20 seconds is not momentary)
Well, the first thing to keep in mind is that there's no wrong way to eat a Reese's. RPM is designed such that rituals are inherently flexible.

That said, it's traditional for gate spells to use Speed to represent moving the target, and Duration to determine how long they stay open. A portal with Speed lower than its Range puts people who enter it in some sort of limbo until they pop out. A portal that doesn't actually transport you, it just allows you to walk to the destination through another Crossroads plane, doesn't need Speed (but be careful not to let the duration run out).
Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post

Quote:
Well, the first thing to keep in mind is that there's no wrong way to eat a Reese's. RPM is designed such that rituals are inherently flexible.

That said, it's traditional for gate spells to use Speed to represent moving the target, and Duration to determine how long they stay open. A portal with Speed lower than its Range puts people who enter it in some sort of limbo until they pop out. A portal that doesn't actually transport you, it just allows you to walk to the destination through another Crossroads plane, doesn't need Speed (but be careful not to let the duration run out).
That's actually a excellent question. How would that work? First, gates can have a Duration no problem (as you pointed out). The second part seems to indicate that if you don't add a Speed to your Range, then you'd travel at a speed that requires +0 energy. In this case, 2 yards/second. So if you have a Gate that's 100 yards away you can toss something threw your gate and it'll arrive 50 seconds later.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
Kalzazz

Well, I was specifically was wondering on 'things traveling at their own speed through the gate', it should seem possible to me that a racehorse could go trough a gate more cheaply than a non moving object by letting the racehorse supply its own speed.
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpm, stat challenge, statistics, statting