Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2015, 04:02 AM   #931
Dwarf99

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
After all, cell phones are kind of like a universal translator if you look it one way.
There's also an interesting app called World Lens that recognizes text sufficiently that I was able to grab a picture of some cyrillic off of what turned out to be the name of a restaurant written on a wet wipe package. So my phone is something of a universal translator when you literally look at it.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #932
Christopher R. Rice

Gamemaster's Guidepost: Bringing Newbies to GURPS

"No one plays GURPS near me!"
"Maybe try to recruit some people?"
"How do I do that? People think GURPS is too mathy!"
"Then hide the math and show the fun!"

No, seriously. Don't even tell them what you are playing if that helps. Do one of those soda taste tests "Which is better?" "This one! What game is this?" "It's GURPS! Now with less math." Whatever you have to do to get them at the table (well, whatever is legal anyways). Once there I got a small list of things to do that might help.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #933
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
There's also an interesting app called World Lens that recognizes text sufficiently that I was able to grab a picture of some cyrillic off of what turned out to be the name of a restaurant written on a wet wipe package. So my phone is something of a universal translator when you literally look at it.
I just downloaded this. It's pretty cool. Thanks!

Become a Patron!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #934
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I just downloaded this. It's pretty cool. Thanks!
You're welcome. The only problem is that (either you can't, or) I haven't figured out how to do a video of the app running through possible translations, because that would be kind a neat cheesy graphic to have as part of a game, although I suppose you could just tell the players "this is an example of the kind of thing your hud displays while it examines the text, so be still."
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #935
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
You're welcome. The only problem is that (either you can't, or) I haven't figured out how to do a video of the app running through possible translations, because that would be kind a neat cheesy graphic to have as part of a game, although I suppose you could just tell the players "this is an example of the kind of thing your hud displays while it examines the text, so be still."

That's a very cool way to bring props to the table!

Also, looks like our very own Sir_Pudding has started a blog here. Go check it out, he tossed up some designer's notes for his first published Pyramid article.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #936
Kalzazz

I really miss him on the forum
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #937
Celti

One of my players had an interesting idea that might make a good article (blog, Patreon, or Pyramid): how do you approach and where do you go from the intersection of constructed minions (robots, AIs, golems, zombies, etc.) and Metatronic Generators?
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #938
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
One of my players had an interesting idea that might make a good article (blog, Patreon, or Pyramid): how do you approach and where do you go from the intersection of constructed minions (robots, AIs, golems, zombies, etc.) and Metatronic Generators?
Actually, this is being covered in my sequel to Metatronic Generators (a Pyramid article). :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #939
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: Spell Kits for Casters - Cryomancer

I'm a little late (sorry, guys, I've been feeling sick for the last few days - stupid, imbalanced glucose), but today is Patreon Day - the day where I say, "thank you!" for all you magnificent people for being a patron to the arts (well, to the blog anyways).

Today's Special is all about that ice, 'bout that ice (No, fire!). That's right, being a mage specializing in ice/cold magic you often get a bum rap. "Fire magus can burn things to a crisp!" "Fire magus knows how to heat up tea!" "Fire magus knows how to get the party started with fireworks." Yeah, well ice magus can...uhh...chill the beer! And, err, make ice sculptures... screw the social angle, you make him mad enough ice magus will bring on a second ice age. I mean, don't make him go all Elsa on you so you better let it go. With over a dozen new Ritual Path magic spells relating to ice or cold, today's special will help your inner ice magus let it go.

What's that you say? You're not a patron? Why, a dollar down gets you access to the monthly Patron Special...but two dollars gets you access to all current specials. And more? Well, there are even higher reward levels you can check out here.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #940
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: Latin Isn't the Only Magical Language

What day is it? Is it time for another blog post? I think it is. Yeah, we're going to go with that. My glucose has been super-wonky and I haven't slept for five or six days straight now. So if this doesn't make sense it's not my fault. OK. Maybe it's my fault but you can't blame me. OK, you can blame me, but it's really Evil Goatee Me's fault (or am I Evil Goatee Me, but shaved it off?). Where was I? Oh, yeah, Latin, man. Why in the bloody nine hells is Latin the only language people go to for purloining words for their magic? There are a ton of interesting languages out there that are worth stealing from. For the love of all that's holy people, STOP USING LATIN. And I'm as guilty as the rest of your words-of-magic-sinners, but come on...there are so many cool things you can steal from. You don't even have to use real languages. What about Enochian? John Dee basically invented it wholesale, but it's kind of awesome. Anyways, I have a few choice picks of languages I'd kosh and run with metaphorical arms loaded with.

Become a Patron!

Tags
blogs