Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
dgrm4

Default Appeal to SJG

Before you discontinue the GURPS hardbacks...could you find it in your hearts to release 2 more?

1. Monsters/Creatures. Catalog of many many creatures and also a Gurps system on how to build our own. This should also include info about Robots as a creature type.

2. Vehicles. A unified Gurps system of vehicle design as well as combat (ground/air/space/water). And vehicles should go from bicycles all the way to the largest spaceships. Also include a healthy list of example vehicles.

With these two books and all the existing books, I think I can tackle just about any type of campaign using GURPS.

I would also be willing to donate money to help get these two Gurps hardbacks published.

As for PDFs, if you could put out more that focus on character and npc templates that would be worth buying and using.
dgrm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Appeal to SJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrm4 View Post
I would also be willing to donate money to help get these two Gurps hardbacks published.
We interrupt our stock response to the grandaddy of all undead discussions to ask... how much money..? ;]
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Before you discontinue the GURPS hardbacks...could you find it in your hearts to release 2 more?
They are, Horror and one other (likely Girl Genius).

Quote:
1. Monsters/Creatures. Catalog of many many creatures and also a Gurps system on how to build our own. This should also include info about Robots as a creature type.
Apparently there is a Bestiary project in the works, as well as the DF: Monsters series. However isn't this the sort of thing that benefits from being published as pdfs? If you don't want Dinosaurs but you do want Sharks you can buy the book with Sharks but the not the one with Dinos.
Quote:
2. Vehicles. A unified Gurps system of vehicle design as well as combat (ground/air/space/water). And vehicles should go from bicycles all the way to the largest spaceships. Also include a healthy list of example vehicles.
The VDS was always going to be a PDF.

Quote:
I really doubt that David Pulver would turn down a check for $20,000 or whatever to concentrate solely on the VDS.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
PK

Let's be clear about something:

We haven't said we're discontinuing hardbacks. We've said that we're looking into ways to stay profitable. If we try releasing some books as softbacks, and they make less profit, we may decide hardbacks make more sense. And if the economy changes, our plans will change as well. Flexibility is good.

(Something about the tone of the thread seems to connote that we have some ideologically driven need to kill hardbacks. It's worth noting that we like hardbacks, too! They're pretty.)

As for your desired books, thank you for your feedback. We are not currently accepting donations, but please feel free to spend the money you'd otherwise donate on GURPS books and give them away to random strangers as presents. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Mateus

I would happily accept e "randon" donation! =)

For me I LOVE hardbacks, but I am very satisfaed with the volume of material being published as PDF.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Gizensha

Quote:

As becomes evident on any of the various beastiary threads, the problem with a beastiary as a hardback is that... Everyone wants a different thing from a beastiary. Some want DF monsters, some want natural (but fictional) creatures using stat blocks, some want real creatures using stat blocks, some want natural (but fictional) creatures with costs and templates, and some want real creatures with costs and templates. PDF really is the only way of catering for all five (but the stat blocks/templates aren't mutually exclusive, I think) of these groups without disappointing others due to, well, for every DF-style monster added there's space for (at least) one less natural creature, for every natural creature there's (at least) one less space for a real animal, and for every real animal there's (at least) one less space for a DF-style Monster.

...And some nutcases want ecological notes that serve as a cheat-sheet for building a fictional ecosystem using GURPS that eyeballs at reasonable seeming... Something tells me that we're the group most likely to be disappointed...
Gizensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizensha View Post
As becomes evident on any of the various beastiary threads, the problem with a beastiary as a hardback is that... Everyone wants a different thing from a beastiary. Some want DF monsters, some want natural (but fictional) creatures using stat blocks, some want real creatures using stat blocks, some want natural (but fictional) creatures with costs and templates, and some want real creatures with costs and templates. PDF really is the only way of catering for all five (but the stat blocks/templates aren't mutually exclusive, I think) of these groups without disappointing others due to, well, for every DF-style monster added there's space for (at least) one less natural creature, for every natural creature there's (at least) one less space for a real animal, and for every real animal there's (at least) one less space for a DF-style Monster.

...And some nutcases want ecological notes that serve as a cheat-sheet for building a fictional ecosystem using GURPS that eyeballs at reasonable seeming... Something tells me that we're the group most likely to be disappointed...
I would vote for all of the above; depending on the campaign I was running at the time.

Sounds like a lot of PDFs to me. Or a really huge book.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
David Johansen

I'd buy them. I may whinge but the only 4e hardback books I haven't bought are Vorskien and Infinite Worlds.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
1. Monsters/Creatures. Catalog of many many creatures and also a Gurps system on how to build our own.
The system to build your own is called GURPS. What more are you looking for?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
Apache
On Notice

3e Bestiary is pretty simple to convert to 4e, and its cheap on e23.