Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Blue Ghost

Default GURPS Atlantis

The Smithsonian institute recently (in the last few years) produced a really good documentary on the Minoan culture as being the basis for Atlantis, and how a key island, Santorini (Thera), in the Mediterranean was in fact "Atlantis".

Further, the documentary says that the ring of water which separates the inner island from the outer ring, was created by one of the, if not the, largest eruption in known history, and sank the island state.

Just figured I'd share, because I found the GURPS Atlantis book quite informative.

Here's a link from the official Smithsonian website;

https://www.si.edu/object/yt_j8Kcj-o...n_q%3DAtlantis

Alternate link;

https://youtu.be/j8Kcj-o4-RA

Enjoy!

Last edited by Blue Ghost; 12-16-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
gibberingmouther

Default Re: GURPS Atlantis

you could always steal from the expansion for Age of Mythology, which had an Atlantean civilization. i don't know where the influences for that came from - or whether it was mostly made up.
gibberingmouther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Blue Ghost

Well, I just thought there might be GURPS players here who'd be interested in the information.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
AOTA

Sounds interesting but the link isn't working.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
Blue Ghost

Hmm, that's curious.

Fortunately the Smithsonian has an official YouTube channel. I'll put it here and update the old link as well. Sorry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Kcj-o4-RA&t=915s

https://youtu.be/j8Kcj-o4-RA
Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberingmouther View Post
you could always steal from the expansion for Age of Mythology, which had an Atlantean civilization. i don't know where the influences for that came from - or whether it was mostly made up.
Do you mean the Microsoft game?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

If you want to do a campaign off the civilization of the Minoan civilization before the eruption at Thera, I would suggest having them be a TL1 civilization with TL4 architecture and engineering (they were not equaled in the two fields until the 1500s in Europe). It would mean that they would have very impressive architecture and have the best engineers in the world at that time, but they would be otherwise a TL1 civilization.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
If you want to do a campaign off the civilization of the Minoan civilization before the eruption at Thera, I would suggest having them be a TL1 civilization with TL4 architecture and engineering (they were not equaled in the two fields until the 1500s in Europe). It would mean that they would have very impressive architecture and have the best engineers in the world at that time, but they would be otherwise a TL1 civilization.
Seriously? Did they know how to design arches, vaults, and domes? Did they have flying buttresses? When I look at "Minoan architecture" online what I'm seeing seems to be lintel and post, very much like classic TL2 Greek. Did they have aqueducts like the Romans, or networks of durably paved roads? I'm not sure what you're basing this assessment on.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Have you got any examples of what they were only equalled in by the C16th?
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Seriously? Did they know how to design arches, vaults, and domes? Did they have flying buttresses? When I look at "Minoan architecture" online what I'm seeing seems to be lintel and post, very much like classic TL2 Greek. Did they have aqueducts like the Romans, or networks of durably paved roads? I'm not sure what you're basing this assessment on.
They had personal toilets and indoor plumbing. I'm thinking they hadn't mastered the arch, but I'm not an expert on the period.

To me the documentary is pretty incredible stuff. In it they flatly state that the entire crater that is the ring of islands surrounding the inner island, filled with magma / lava, overflowed those outer islands, and the middle island, which appears to have been larger, collapsed into the ocean because the magma chamber underneath had emptied.

That is one massive volcanic event. Truly titanic. And even if you were on your fishing boat or cargo sailing vessel going as fast as you could to get away, the flow was so hot it road the surface of the Mediterranean, and would have killed you in an instant.

How that's gonna work in an RPG, I have no idea, but someone's gonna do it. >:)