Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
JMason

Default What equipment should be provided?

In an Interstellar Wars campaign, I'm trying to figure out what equipment I should just "give" the players vs what they will have to spend starting wealth on. They have a ship, so I'm assuming that it comes with mostly stocked facilities (med bay has medical equipment, etc).

I've decided in my Traveller universe, there are PDA devices that work much like modern Cell phones. They can be communication devices (when in range of the ship), cameras, run common software, and interface with the ship's computer(s). I was going to just give the players one of these, along with their other personal items that the "invested" starting wealth covers.

But then I'm stuck with what should the players actually spend their starting wealth on? Weapons and Armor, sure... but what else? Should the ship come with a ground vehicle or should they have to buy it? What about Vacc Suits, gas masks/filtration devices, etc.

Part of me wants to just say "the ship comes with everything you'll need to deal with alien environmental hazards. But then I'm back to having the PCs start with $10K cash and no real reason to spend it! If I don't do this, and make the players buy these items, I feel that something will be forgotten and the players will feel like they have been punished for not knowing the setting (none of us have a ton of Traveller background).

So, what do y'all have players buy vs what is provided? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: What equipment should be provided?

You can just charge a fixed amount (something like the 80% rule in 4e) to have all 'normal' stuff.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You can just charge a fixed amount (something like the 80% rule in 4e) to have all 'normal' stuff.
That's what I'm doing, but then what's left for them to spend the remaining 20% on? Where's the line between the normal stuff and "adventure gear"?
Old 05-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
That's what I'm doing, but then what's left for them to spend the remaining 20% on? Where's the line between the normal stuff and "adventure gear"?
That's kind of up to the GM to decide. Legality Class might be a decent proxy, though.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
DAT

Is it a merchant trader, military, secret agent, exploration, or other campaign?

If it is a merchant trader campaign, everyone has a uniform (coveralls / t-shirts with logos), tools (the comm/PDA units, basic tool boxes for their job), and access to standard environmental gear and ( with Captain's permission) the weapons locker with standard pistols and shotguns. Players buy personal weapons (although firearms at least are still stored in the arms locker - so very fine personal blades & nonlethal weapons would be popular), better gear (custom vacc suit), better tools, non-work clothes, ship formal uniform (e.g., white jacket), entertainment (decks of cards, 200 year old bottle of scotch, etc.), and personal trade goods (if they are smart).

If it is a Military campaign, everyone has Duty (Terran Military), then they are issued base uniforms, weapons, environmental gear (vacc suits, respirators, etc.), and tools, but will need to spend money on fancy uniforms, toys (fancy gear/tools), real clothes (Hawaiian shirts for dress down Fridays and happy hours), and entertainment (Call of Duty 4000, decks of cards, 200 year old bottle of scotch, etc.).

For secret agent campaign, characters should be outfitted completely by their employer for weapons, gadgets/tools, clothes, etc. needed for their mission. For the most part, their personal gear is left at home. But smart PCs will have cash reserves/trade goods, alternative disguises for ... just in case.

For an explorer campaign, similar to military (if government sponsored) or merchant trader (if privately sponsored).

My thoughts.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #6
Taneli

As a related note, what kind of stuff should I assume that the player's ships locker will contain? Assuming 2167, or more like 2168 starting date, GURPS ISW campaign framework.

What guns, ammo, armor, etc should be available on the ship? What medical supplies?

Also, does anyone have a decent system for working out the random bits of gear that I'm not too keen on on keeping count of?

Also, by 2167/2168/2170, are imperial and terran technologies how interchangeable? Do terran guns use imperial cartridges, or vice versa? Do imperials and terrans have the same standards on powercells and voltages? Heck, do their tools work on each others equipment?

I would assume that imperials have standardised on everything by that point, but have terrans standardised even between themselves?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
Mike Wightman

Well since this is GURPS I would assume US space forces still use 'imperial' measurements... ;)

no one else does though.

More seriously, a lot of the Terran technological advances in the early to mid ISW period are likely due to reverse engineering, industrial espionage, and trade. So the adoption of Vilani standards may be a necessity.

Last edited by Mike Wightman; 11-12-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Mike Wightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
I'd say that if you can buy it at a department store (clothes, food, consumer electronics, etc) then it's normal gear, and if you can't buy it at a department store (weapons, armour, specialized electronics, etc) then it's adventuring gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wightman View Post
More seriously, a lot of the Terran technological advances in the early to mid ISW period are likely due to reverse engineering, industrial espionage, and trade. So the adoption of Vilani standards may be a necessity.
Not just "likely", but stated outright in ISW.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wightman View Post
Well since this is GURPS I would assume US space forces still use 'imperial' measurements... ;)
They don't even today.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #10
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'd say that if you can buy it at a department store (clothes, food, consumer electronics, etc) then it's normal gear, and if you can't buy it at a department store (weapons, armour, specialized electronics, etc) then it's adventuring gear.
You can buy weapons at some department stores in some places. A couple of generations ago it was commonplace - just go to the sporting goods department. Not so much longer before that you could mail order all sorts of stuff like that.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote