Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Realistic Gadgeteer

I was toying with an idea about making a realistic Gadgeteer. There have been people who have manifested abilities that could be considered to be a bounded form of Gadgeteer (Edison, Tesla, etc). I think that you could have a character with Gadgeteer in a realistic campaign if it was purchased with the equivalent of the perk Special Exercise, with the limitation that it may not be used to develop gadgets with a tech level more than one above the campaign baseline and may not be used to purchase Gizmos. I would also suggest that realistic characters that take Gadgeteer advantage should be required to have a minimum of twenty character points in scientific skills.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Minuteman37

Default Re: Realistic Gadgeteer

I'd also say you need to specialize your Gadgeteer by scientific discipline.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

It is not the tech level that is the problem, it is the penalties associated with the invention roll. The first internal combustion automobile, a Complex Device, was a new type of device and was one tech level above the local TL, which would have been a -24 to skill for the concept roll (-19 to skill if they were taking the maximum of one month per roll [+5 to skill for X30 time required]). Even if they had a skill of 25, which would be the maximum realistic skill level, they would have been rolling against a '6' every month, and I honestly doubt that Benz had a skill above 20. I think that a limited form of Gadgeteer would be realistic for inventors like Benz, who could not have developed the necessary skill to have a chance of doing what they did under GURPS rules.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It is not the tech level that is the problem, it is the penalties associated with the invention roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic page 473
+1 to +5 if the item is a variant on a existing one; -5 if the basic technology is totally new to the campaign (regardless of TL); -5 if the device is one TL above the inventor’s TL.
Quote:
The first internal combustion automobile, a Complex Device, was a new type of device
The History of the internal combustion engine suggests otherwise.

Instead of taking a -5 for being a totally new type of technology, it should be gaining a +1 to +5 for being a variant on a existing one.

Quote:
and was one tech level above the local TL,
I don't think Benz's first car qualifies as one tech level above the local TL.

-14 for Complex +5 for extra time, +1 to +5 gives a total of -8 to -4 to skill
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote