Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Dammann

Default [DF] Wizard Spell List

DF 1 says (on page 20) that Weather Spells are for Druids, except when they are part of another college. It seems to me that all of the Weather College Spells are part of another college, too; usually they are Water, Air, or both.

Is this prohibition on Weather Spells written this way in case some future Weather Spell supplement includes non-Air and non-Water college spells? Is there something I'm missing? I want to create a definitive list of the spells available to stock DF Wizards, and I want to make sure I am correct in thinking that there is not a single Weather Spell that such a character could not take as part of his grimoire.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Rasputin

Default Re: [DF] Wizard Spell List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
DF 1 says (on page 20) that Weather Spells are for Druids, except when they are part of another college. It seems to me that all of the Weather College Spells are part of another college, too; usually they are Water, Air, or both.
Every Weather spell in GURPS Magic is indeed part of another school, and I know of no other such spells in another source.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Stripe

XD

"Weather spells are totally off limits, guys. Except when they're not. And, they never are. Sooo . . . Nevermind."

Just kidding, Dr. K.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Dammann

I want to be clear, I am not playing "gotcha" or whatever, I just want to be sure that I am correct in thinking that every current instance is an exception to the rule. Someone may write a supplement about weather magic down the road, or perhaps a Pyramid article that has some spells that are Weather yet neither Air nor Water.

Turns out that quite a few healing spells slip through to the Wizard's Spell List as part of a prerequisite chain. "Minor Healing" is notable in that regard. It is a funny sort of munchkin who learns Steal Vitality so that he can learn Minor Healing as a prerequisite.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Johnny Angel

Personally, as far as healing spells go, I rule in my DF game that Wizards can learn the spells, but not cast them.

That is, as students of thaumatology and arcane arts, they are certainly capable of learning the underpinnings of how the spell works, but they do not (by default) have access to the magical energies (typically divine in nature) which are fundamental to being able to cast the spell.

I don't have a good answer for the overlap between wizardry and the druidic arts.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
Dammann

Protect Animal is a Protection and Warning Spell, yet it requires 3 Animal Spells as part of its prerequisites. Unfortunately, there are only three animal spells that qualify as Wizardly Spells per DF1 page 20; Protect Animal (which cannot serve as its own prerequisite), Shapeshifting, and Shapeshift Others. I suppose that those last two would work, since every animal form is a different spell.

I am just glad to learn that my Wizard reserves the right to turn someone into a frog, if it comes to it! Guys, this is a thing that I was worried about while I have been working on this list. Seriously.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Dammann

Yeah, in my DF campaign, I was worried that I wouldn't find players, so I ruled early on that healing was ok for Wizards. Then I ended up with 9 active players and four people waiting for slots to open up if anyone else resigns or gets deployed to another country or whatever. We have so many healers, potions are sort of a waste of cash for the party. A holy warrior with the warrior saint lense, a dungeon saint cleric, and a wizard patterned after the character Powder (from the movie Powder) get a lot of healing done between them.

But in any case, I wanted to work up a canonical list, for the sake of files I am working on for GCA. I also wanted to get a more fine-grained appreciation of what the RAW really are. When my session prep is done, and I have a two week hiatus before another session, I get into the minutiae.

Last edited by Dammann; 05-26-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
Dammann

If anyone else should need that list, btw, here it is:
Spoiler:  
Old 05-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Dammann

I invite anyone and everyone with the patience to dispute inclusion or exclusion of anything in the list. I would love to make it more accurate. I used DF 1 page 20 to make the call on each spell, and checked prerequisite requirements with the GURPS Magic Spell Charts for all Healing, Animal, and Plant Spells. There were quite a few Technology College Spells I would have cut, (Awaken Computer, anyone?) , as well as some Gate College Spells that I thought should maybe have been culled simply for being concerned with Teleportation, but I stuck to the RAW.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Is this prohibition on Weather Spells written this way in case some future Weather Spell supplement includes non-Air and non-Water college spells? Is there something I'm missing? I want to create a definitive list of the spells available to stock DF Wizards, and I want to make sure I am correct in thinking that there is not a single Weather Spell that such a character could not take as part of his grimoire.
I thought DF1 did contain a definitive list of spells available to Wizards? Am I misremembering?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote