Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
Vlaarith

Default Warhammer Fantasy (Mordheim setting)

Hello there!

Hi, my name is Max, and me and my group of friend want to play a game in the warhammer fantasy setting. I'm gonna be the GM in this little game of ours, and I choosed the Mordheim setting for starting for numerous reason, but mostly because it give us a clair time period and a 'dungeon' feels (we are aggressive dnd/pathfinder player,for more than 10 years, this gave us very bad habits like Min-maxing and other nasty stuff I find very toxic in a gurps setting, but in a mordheim setting such thing can be put to good use)

Anyway I have readed some thread linked with the warhammer setting, some very helpfull like the one with Gurpshammer, and another one I very much like wrote by xuubraiel with very helpfull lore and mechanic adapted for gurps. I also send a message to the gmail of Xuubraiel to ask for his document that he mention were lost.

I'm comming here to ask for tips in general regarding the setting and for links for document that may have been lost in time such as the one created by Xuubraiel.

I'M also thinking about creating random table for traps/wyrdstone effect/Mutation/chaostaint and other stuff.

Any opinion?
Vlaarith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Warhammer Fantasy (Mordheim setting)

Establish a mechanic for Warpstone. Radiation is a good starting point.

Define a mechanic for Warpstone mutations including likely advantages/disadvantages and reaction penalties.

Decide how you're going to handle clerical magic.

I'd recommend very meek starting characters. Maybe 100pts.

I'd put a leash on magic spells (And clerical if you're going that way) to keep starting spells and spell levels small. You might also add a Social Regard to magic users
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
Gnaskar

You might not expect it, but GURPS: After the End is an invaluable source book for a Mordheim campaign. Ready made mutation rules, radiation rules, rules for scavenging through damaged buildings, etc. There's even rules for mutagens, which are easy enough to adapt (pretty much all you need to do is replace Hazardous Materials (Chemicals) with Hazardous Materials (Magical).)

Speaking of warp stones, I'd treat them as Manastones that are also toxic mutagens. That makes them extremely valuable to wizards while also horribly dangerous. This does require access to GURPS: Magic, but then I'd pretty much recommend that for any fantasy campaign.

For quick and dirty character creation, I'd recommend GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen, which has a set of 125 point templates suitable for hack and slash campaigns. Black Leviathan is right in that you want relatively low powered characters to emulate the feel of Mordheim. The big thing you won't find in that book is gun skills, since the entire DF line is pre-gunpowder fantasy.
Gnaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
Black Leviathan

Also don't be afraid to go heavy on the fear checks. Everything in Warhammer Fantasy is The End. Its all going to eat you or your soul or make you watch it eat your soul before eating you. Running into a throng of goblins in a collapsed inn isn't an easy encounter, it is a bone-chilling harrowing meeting with doom. Make firearms trigger a fear check, even if it's +1. Those things are really loud.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Vlaarith

Thanks, I have found this

Radiation is an omnipresent threat in a bombed-out wasteland,
but even a game without any nukes can have it come
up as an occasional issue. Scavengers raiding an old building
may think they’ve hit the jackpot, only to open up an old storage
vault for radioactive waste! Be sure to see Irradiated Heavy
Metals (p. 11), Fallout Rain (p. 13), Fallout Sandstorms (p. 13),
and Water (p. 13) for related threats.

Wastelanders introduced simplified rules for radiation,
which break everything down into RP loss over time. If
you aren’t using those rules, treat each “1 RP lost” as “10
rads absorbed.” Either way, make a Hazardous Materials
(Radioactive) or Survival (Radioactive Wasteland) roll to
answer any questions about the type of area you’re in and
to estimate RP loss. Hazardous Materials (Radioactive)
(only) can also determine how to neutralize the problem
safely if possible (e.g., when dealing with a spilled isotope or
leaking bomb) and warn you ahead of time if you’re about to
enter a nuclear reactor or waste site (use the rules for recognizing
toxic waste dumps on p. 10).

When wearing an environment suit that has a Protection
Factor (PF), multiply the time between RP losses by that PF.
For example, an advanced biohazard suit (New Gear, p. 47)
provides PF 2.5; someone wearing one in a fallout area would
lose 1 RP per 25 minutes (not 10 minutes).
Most of the Wasteland: No RP lost. Even in a heavily nuked
landscape, most of the area will have mild background radiation
at worst. (And if you live long enough for that to kill you,
you did great!)

Contaminated Wasteland: 1 RP/hour. These areas will be
common, and sometimes quite large (several miles across).
Fallout Area: 1 RP/10 minutes. In addition, everyone not
wearing a gas mask, holding their breath, etc., must make a
HT+5 roll every 10 minutes. Failure means they breathed in
some fallout dust and take 1 RP/minute for the next 10 minutes
(ignoring PF)!

Near a Nuke Crater: 1 RP/5 minutes if you’re close enough
to see the crater.

Around or In a Nuke Crater: 1 RP/X seconds, where X is the
number of yards you are from the center of the crater. (For
simplicity, the GM can round X to the nearest 5 or 10 yards.)
At the center itself, you lose 1 RP/second!

Hospital or Lab: If you open up a machine with radioactive
materials (e.g., some imaging equipment or advanced,
energy-based, chemotherapy machines), lose 1 RP immediately
and another every 10 minutes if you stick around. Handling
actual isotopes or samples makes this 1 RP/minute – or
a flat 3d RP if you ingest any!

Nuclear Waste Dump or Operational Nuclear Reactor: Treat
being inside a waste vault or near a working reactor as being
in a crater (above), with X determined by how far you are
from the center (not edge) of the waste pile or reactor.
Unexploded Nuclear Weapon or Inoperative Nuclear
Reactor: No loss in most cases, but if one is leaking, from
1 RP/hour to 1 RP/minute, depending on the leak size. See
Bombs and Mines (p. 11) for defusing a nuke, and “Nuclear
Legacy” (in Pyramid #3/88: The End Is Nigh) for detailed
descriptions of nuclear plants and bombs

I also found some mordheim guide about random effect of witch-stone which i'm gonna use in conjucture witht the the radiation effect. I'm probably gonna set threashold for big and small effect, like mutation is gonna happen when you hit radiation 100 OR if you use the unrefined wyrdstone and roll 'get a mutation', there is gonna be a lot of check involved on HT for any physical change made by warpstone and a lot of Will check for any more insidious Mental effect. I'm gonna post update on list and such when I will have made them also when I will have change the radition setting for a more accurate wyrdstone setting.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Black Leviathan

I'd go special table like a Fright Check. The Higher your Radiation level the more severe it gets. Give it a good mix of the nasty 4. Maybe you get radiation-like sickness if it's Nurgle's influence. Maybe you become violent if it's Khorne, visible mutations if it's Tzeench, maybe you develop obsessions or strange desires if it's Slanesh. The greater the exposure the more warpstone warps you.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
pestigor

I'm not too familiar with the black powder weapon's system in Warhammer, but in Gurps be aware that a single shot from a gun to the torso has a really good chance of dropping a character (they might not die immediately but they're more than likely going to hit the ground). For me this is why I love Gurps. In most games you shoot someone with a gun, they take damage and the game moves on (and any immersion I had is ruined) in Gurps a gun shot is very serious business, kind of like real life. So if guns are "one shot can kill" in Warhammer, you're fine, if not you might have to tweak the damage of guns in your game.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:12 AM   #8
Polydamas

I don't know of any fan projects for Warhammer Fantasy but it is a good setting.

I agree that 50 to 100 point characters would be suitable for a game which feels like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Check out [url=http://saduria.co.uk/GURPS Saduria[/url], which is less grimmdark, even lower magic fantasy in a setting based on the German-speaking countries in the 15th century just like Warhammer Fantasy was.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
Vlaarith

It took me some time but I pretty much finished it, some table are still missing and I need to do race template for combat but the generic stuff is done.

In this world, there is only war….

And a shitload of corruption!

In this world there is place in the world who reeks of corruption. Far too long exposed to the ravageous touch of chaos, those places are no longer suitable for the mortal of this plane. Corruption is an insidious process, the visible mutation is often the most kind of all form. For the mind is truly the most dangerous (and easiest to hide) place chaos can take his roots. In this campaign, chaos influence shall take place in form of CP (Chaos Point OR Corruption Point.)

CP : Every CP will be given periodically while in corrupting zone (refer to the paragraphed titled Hazardous Place) Just like for HP, your CP will be measurable, to make your CP stats you will take your WILL score add it to your HT score and divides by 2 round down (HT+WILL)/2 = CP score

When you reach 0 on the CP score you will automatically gain a TEMPORARY disadvantage (a quirks) which is ALWAYS’S a mental one, it will represent stress and the like’s. For every time your actual CP goes down by one time your CP stats you will make a check. The check become increasingly difficult an at –10 X CP score your character become unplayable, he either become a Chaos Spawn/ a Mutant freak / OR too crazy.

Each check on CP score offer a save roll which is either roll on Will OR HT, the first time your CP score reach 0 you automatically fail your first will check, an thus you roll HT for when you reach -1 X CP score than Will when you reach -2 X CP, failure mean you gain a physical OR mental manifestation of chaos which value is determinate by GM, failure by 4 or more OR a critical fail mean you gain a Mutation has taken on chaos mutation table of Mordheim guide book OR any other viable mutation table. The change doesn’t always happen overnight but it his always in terrible and painful way.

Hazardous Place

Corrupted Land: 1 CP/6 hours These areas will be common, and sometimes quite large (several miles across). The city of mordheim will often be considerate one, few places will not be corrupted, but those places are jealously guarded by the few survivors of Mordheim.

Someone in possession of a raw wyrdstone divide the time needed to gain 1 CP by the cumulative power of the wyrdstone (its number of mana). Thus, someone having a total of 22 of mana would gain 1CP by 16 minutes. Tissue, bag or other container help slow down the corruption but doesn’t prevent it, it effectively procures twice the time before you gain CP, only a box made of very heavy lead and protected with appropriate charms can prevent such a thing. Those are very heavy and can cost quite a lot.

Warp craters: Some time, people do crazy thing may it be because of mistake, happy accident, an attack that missed or just because someone dared them to. Sometime those mistakes include wyrdstone and sometime said wyrdstone explode in a very catastrophic and visually impressive fashion. Such thing leaves permanent marks on the land and are called wyrd-crater. Ironically, a wyrd-crater is often the sources of more wyrdstone which in return can mean more wyrd-crater. But do not be foolish, for such reckless behaviours often leaves scars on the material plane and can very well open the door for monster of the warps. A wyrd-crater are very dangerous and if you are in range of 30 yards of one you gain 1CP/10 minute. Being IN the crater bring you even MORE CP but there is often very powerful wyrdstone inside, which mean more money for you, but also more CP points for your character!

Ingesting Warpstone: What?!?! NO!! Just…. wa….WHY!?!?! Why for all the love of every gods in creation would you want to do that?! Okay you know what? I can’t even conceive why someone would do that, so I’m not even going to try to, let’s just roll with it… Ingesting Warpstone give a total bonus point equal on the value of the Mana of ingested Warpstone I.E: Gobbing down a 7 mana Warpstone grant you 7 points of character BUT you also take 3 time that value in Dice of CP so good luck surviving 21 dice of CP which is an average of 73 CP. You also won’t always’s choose which way those manifest, but you can give your DM idea what you want, after all you DID just survive eating a buttload of corrupt stone who are physical representation of the plan of chaos.

Healing Corruption: Corruption normally would never heal, but that would be harsh on character, and nobody would ever want to risk it, so where is the fun in that! Corruption heal with a CP (minus the number of time under your CP score you are) at a rate of 6/12 OR 24 hours (depending on the generosity of your DM and the gritty level you want for your campaign) Alternatively, there is ritual of purification and or spells that help with that, anyone with the appropriate skills to puritfy corruption can attempt it ONLY ONCE per day and corruption that stayed cannot be healed by this anymore; The healing rate is (1d/2d/3d )+ succès margin. The number of dice is yet again decided by the amount of grittiness you want for your game. Be sure to talk about it with your player. After all if they riot and dismember you, its not really a win.

Mordheim Table of random happy Stuff!

Table 1-1

Number of wyrdstone on map

Roll wyrdstone
3 to 4 32
5 to 8 18
9 to 11 13
12 to 14 9
15 to 18 4

Table 1-2
Wyrdstone

Roll 3d6 Power of the stone
3 roll 5d6
4 roll 3d6
5 to 8 Shards
9 to 12 1
13 to 14 2
15 3
16 roll 1d6
17 roll 2d6
18 roll 3d6

Table 1-3
Number of traps in map

Roll for trap Trap ; Fake
3 to 5 2 ; 13
6 to 8 5 ; 10
9 to 12 8 ; 7
13 to 16 10 ; 5
17 to 18 15 ; 0

Traps: Wyrdstone does, well weird stuff to people, but even so even weirder to place it stayed for many hours of days. They twist plant and stone to the very core and often corrupt writing and runes to their own corrupt way. A trap in mordheim doesn’t represent a carefully planed trap, it’s a random twisted effect of the Warpstone that can represent weird runes, toxic mushroom or other kind of stuff of equal brow rising effect but that isn’t immediately obvious, until its ON….

The wheel of traps! And Not the japanesse kind, well unless Slaanesh…

Roll Kind of trap
1 to 2 Toxic Fume
3 to 4 Warp Energy
5 to 6 Warp corruption

Toxic fume: the trap unleash toxic warp gas that inflict 2d6 cp damage to 1d6 area of effect

Warp energy: The trap unleash a huge explosion of warp energy that inflict 1d6 damage that bypass DR on a 1d6-2 area of effect

Warp corruption : The trap unleash a powerful and disturbing effect, roll HT -4 on failure loss 1d6 on a random stats, this effect last for 1d6 rounds per margin of failure (so if you lose the check by 3 its 3d6 round) On a critical failure it last the same amount but in minutes. On a succès of 3 OR a critical succès follow the same process but instead of a loss of stats, you gain a bonus. The stats lose can be decided randomly or by the GM ( on the rare case the player gain a boost the dm is encouraged to grant it to the most helpful stats) The dm is also encouraged to do random effect if he wills

Table 2-1
Encounter table

Roll 1d100 Force encontered
01 to 07 Nothing
08 to 17 Chaos force
18 to 29 Orks
30 to 45 Skaven
46 to 58 Human
59 to 63 Friendly
64 to 70 Elven
71 to 77 Ogre and giant
78 to 86 Dark elves
87 to 95 Vampire Count
96 to 100 Oh **** moment

Table 2-2
Oh **** moment table

Roll 3d6 Thing you encounter
3 to 4 Thanquol and Boneripper(Roll 3d6 to knew which boneripper it is) OR similar elite heroes of warhammer Fantasy
5 to 8 Crazy warband with mutation
9 to 11 Crazy huge elite (ex: rat ogre, Chaos Spawn, Giant etc)
12 to 14 30 meter man eating tree
15 Chimera/similar abominable monster
16 to 18 Deamon

Table 2-3
Warband Power Level

Roll 3d6 Strenght
3 to 4 very weak
5 to 8 Weaker
9 to 11 Equal
12 to 13 A little bit stronger
14 to 16 A lot stronger
17 to 18 Death await

Table 2-4
Ennemy's Disposition

Roll 1d100 Disposition
0 to 10 Scattered
11 to 20 Engaged with foe
21 to 30 On guard
31 to 40 Relaxed
41 to 52 Looting
53 to 65 Sneaking
66 to 73 Dead?
70 to 80 Questionning survivor
81 to 89 Moving in group
90 to 96 Fleeing
97 to 100 dead

Last edited by Vlaarith; 11-12-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: missing table
Old 11-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
Nostri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I don't know of any fan projects for Warhammer Fantasy but it is a good setting.

I agree that 50 to 100 point characters would be suitable for a game which feels like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Check out [url=http://saduria.co.uk/GURPS Saduria[/url], which is less grimmdark, even lower magic fantasy in a setting based on the German-speaking countries in the 15th century just like Warhammer Fantasy was.
Could you repost that link Polydamas? It's not working for me and while it may just be me I'd like to double check.

Tags
warhammer