Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #41
Kalzazz

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters 5: Applied Xenology

That honestly is the main way I run vampires . . . . . their main power as I see it (well, one of) is that unlike so many monster types they are perfectly capable of wielding weapons and wearing armor . . . . so you are fighting a monster that is able to play with humans at their own game

Except in some cases even stronger

And yes, my perspectives are strongly influenced by Hellsing and Underworld, but the 'vampire = tool user' is very strongly ingrained in mind. Even Darla from Buffy used tools!

Still, I think that TL gives a bunch of 'virtual points', and that a TL 8 50pt guy with TL 8 is much closer to a 400pt guy with TL 8 gear than a TL 2 50pt guy is to a TL 2 400pt guy

As a note, and not GURPS - I once played a White Wolf Vampire who wielded a 75mm antitank cannon as a personal weapon (yes, White Wolf has rules for this!), this was . . . only mediocre effectiveness. It was actually much more effective to take the Potence needed to heft said antitank cannon and just hit them with a sword

The same happened when I had a GURPS character want to wield a gatling gun . . . . once you have sufficiently high ST to wield a gatling gun, hitting things with a sword looks awfully appealing

Though gatling guns are not near as powerful as say a Browning M2, so, at TL 8 using high ST to wield massive guns is quite appealing

As a GURPS DM I have learned that the Browning M2, despite being Ethnically Cool, Iconic, and Generally Awesome is a weapon to treat with caution, as entirely to many PC deaths have resulted from me giving them to monsters. Any weapon that combines good RoF, reasonable recoil, and heavy damage is a wonderful way to send people on an express ride to -5xHP

ETK Browning M2s are just right out
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #42
aesir23

The "open threats/heavy ordinance" book is the one that appeals to me the least, to be honest--it would be fun if it came with Kaiju, however. And I can see how the occasional situation where the PCs got to cut loose and bring the heavy guns could be a nice change of pace.

Cryptids, Power-Ups, Elder Gods, and MH [Insert non-western culture with colorful mythology here] would all be immediate purchases for me.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #43
Kalzazz

I'm not sure if I would be most interested in seeing Norse or Greek stuff, the Dresden books and Percy Jackson books make compelling cases for both

I want to see the book named 'Big Guns and Open Ranges'

I hope are rules for 'fun with vehicles', we have stats for Hinds, I want to use them vs the undead!

As a note, imbuements can help people defeat tanks even using low powered guns . . . . Imbuements and MH have not been a harmonious combination somewhat for me 'Oh, the weakness of guns is they poke at things using Pi damage and ping off armor . . . . oh. You are converting your PDW to hit the vampire using Burning damage, and using Penetrating Strike?'

But seeing a hero turn a tank to Swiss cheese using a normally 4d AD 2 pi- PDW was very amusing
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #44
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
On another note, the more I think about "open threats and heavy ordnance," the more curious I am how it would work. With the exception of ghosts, every single monster from MH3 can be destroyed by a sufficiently large explosion. And most will struggle to damage even lightly armored vehicles. Meanwhile, melee weapons and innate attacks that only do a few dice of damage seem kind of irrelevant if the party's Commando has a LAW. I can see this supplement being very cool, but it it seems like it would end up being a huge deviation from the assumptions of past titles. So what does PK have in mind here? Would it really still fit within the narrowly-defined bounds of the Monster Hunters series?
I have some ideas for handling this, myself, but one of the prerequisites for any author who wants to write this is answering a few questions I have -- and "how will you balance The Enemy once the GM allows rocket launchers?" is going to be one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I would also love to have Monster Hunters Dark Ages where you play a hunter in medieval times since my idea of GURPS Epic Fantasy does not seem likely.
I don't really see how those two concepts are at all comparable, but regardless, please see post #29 for why that idea is off the table as a supplement (though it would still be a valid Pyramid article or, possibly, own series).

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:08 AM   #45
b-dog

I would just like to see a fantasy setting with real world religions and mythologies but done in a fun way where you play a powerful PC like in dungeon fantasy and then fight monsters, go on quests and so on. It would be cool to have PCs travel around the globe to find exotic places to explore like the mythical Aztec empire, Siam, Nepal and so on. Just a fun series with some rule of cool historical stuff and lots of action.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #46
lwcamp

I would definitely be interested in a book on cryptids, and on many area specific mythologies (such as many of the Amerind myths - giant flying anthropophagous heads? How much weirder can you get?).

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #47
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
I would definitely be interested in a book on cryptids, and on many area specific mythologies (such as many of the Amerind myths - giant flying anthropophagous heads? How much weirder can you get?).
Yeah, exactly! Make sure they're tough enough to be a challenge for some champions, and you've got one hell of an interesting foe there. I realize that Monster Hunters doesn't make "mythological accuracy" its #1 priority, but across the board, I've tried to include foes that pull from the actual myths and legends of familiar cultures. So adding less familiar cultures to that mix is just fun.

I tried to do that in "Elemental Xia Champions vs. the Shenguai" (from Pyramid #3/70: Fourth Edition Festival) -- I researched a few actual Chinese monsters and demons to include as foes. I'm curious from those who love MH and also read that article: Assuming that those monsters were unfamiliar and strange to you, did that make them more interesting? Or did it make them less accessible and thus less interesting?

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters