Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Value of a Memory

If you have Possession or Mind Probe or some other access to the entirety of the memories of an individual, how long does it take to "learn" them? I imagine Eidetic or better yet Photographic Memory helps with retention and speed of recall, and also that it depends on how long the person lived (and was aware, forming memories), and such (e.g. how many of the memories can just be condensed into "same... stuff... different day").

I'm not talking about skills - those it's established you need to pay for, and that makes sense. I'm talking about memories, specifically episodic memory.

How would you build a power that just scooped up all of a person's episodic memory and deposited a copy into your own head in such a way that you could recall the target's memories as though they had happened to you, but you wouldn't get them confused with your own (and also, what if you sometimes could be confused by them, like some very specific, unusual, and cumulatively worse set of Delusions that can often be useful)?

What's the value of "downloading" someone's episodic memory (minus skill) into your head, once and for all?

Should an episodic memory (or the entirety of another person's) be worth any points?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Value of a Memory

I would call it a M/E skill personal history (target)
And I would let it default if you have not paid any points in it but studied the persons memories for a significant time.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
munin

See the Memory Bank enhancement for Mind Probe (p. P62). It allows you to take a "snapshot" of a person's mind for later use. There's no point cost for each snapshot, but the lesser +100% version limits you to snapshots equal to your IQ (+150% for unlimited snapshots). You have to roll against IQ to recall a saved memory, but that's true for your own memories too (p. B51)!
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Walrus

And remembering any event in a past is plain IQ roll (see Eidetic Memory for mechanics).

Tags
delusion, memory