Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Crystalline_Entity

Default [Sorcery] Help with a spell to swap locations of items

Hi,

I'm trying to develop a spell for my sorcerer which swaps the locations of groups of items instantly. For example, he could cast it on himself and a guard when inflitrating a castle to swap his normal clothes for the guards uniform, or could swap an empty quiver of arrows for a full one.

I've got as far as:
Quote:
Warp (Exoteleport, -50%; Exoteleport Modified Capacity (7 lbs), -15%; Range Limit: 10 yards, -50%; Link, +10%; Faster Concentration 5, +25%) + Warp (Exoteleport, -50%; Exoteleport Modified Capacity (7 lbs), -15%; Range Limit: 10 yards, -50%; Link, +10%; Faster Concentration 5, +25%)
(i.e. two identical Warp advantages tied with Link) but I'm struggling to come up with the rest.

The Anchored limitation doesn't seem appropriate, but it feels like there should be something to denote that this is swapping item locations rather than two simultaneous but otherwise unrelated teleports to different locations. Then there's the ability to do groups of related items - I don't want to have to teleport each boot off the guard separately! For that matter, does this need to be an Affliction?

Any help or advice appreciated!

Last edited by Crystalline_Entity; 08-23-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention "instantly"
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Sorcery] Help with a spell to swap locations of items

There was a recent thread on the subject of Warp "swapping" targets. My suggestion was basically that this is a new enhancement to Warp (repeated below for convenience).

Exchange: When you Warp, you may "swap" places with something else at your destination - the object you swap with appears at your old location. If the object you exchange with is significantly heavier than something you could carry, you take an additional penalty to your Warp roll: -1 per encumbrance level over what you could teleport with, with each multiple of Extra-Heavy Encumbrance imposing an extra -1. For example, if you had Warp with Extra Carrying Capacity: Medium, and ST 10, and you tried to swap with an object weighing 200 lbs., you would be at -2, since 200 lbs. is your Extra-Heavy encumbrance level, two levels over the Medium encumbrance you can teleport with.
The value of this enhancement depends on how wide a category of object you can potentially exchange with: +100% for anything at all at the target, +80% for a very broad category like "inanimate objects" or "living things", +60% for a medium-sized category like "other sapient beings" or "vehicles", +40% for a narrow category like "other members of my species" or "automobiles", or +20% for a very narrow category like "Other males of my ethnicity" or "late-model sedans". Subtract -10% from these values if the objects you swap with must be either the exact same mass or volume as you, or -15% if they must be both the same mass and volume. If you can only use Warp by swapping with something at the other end, subtract -50% from these values, turning this enhancement into a limitation if this takes the value below 0%.

So, in your case, I'd build it as a single Warp advantage with the modifiers you've already got (minus Link), and Exchange, set at +15%. That's using the +80% value for "inanimate objects", -15% because I assume they have to be pretty much the same mass and volume, and -50% because they have to be swapped.

Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 08-23-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Crystalline_Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
There was a recent thread on the subject of Warp "swapping" targets. My suggestion was basically that this is a new enhancement to Warp (repeated below for convenience).

So, in your case, I'd build it as a single Warp advantage with the modifiers you've already got (minus Link), and Exchange, set at +15%. That's using the +80% value for "anything at all", -15% because I assume they have to be pretty much the same mass and volume, and -50% because they have to be swapped.
That's great thanks! Sorry, I should have tried harder at searching before asking, but that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
That's great thanks! Sorry, I should have tried harder at searching before asking, but that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
No problem! Glad it's useful!
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery, warp