Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #51
platimus
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: behind you
Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Or rather...

"If a moving figure makes two consecutive 60 degree turns in the same direction, remaining movement costs double."

(And, yes, I would apply this all figures. Even 1-hex figures. Also, even 1-hex figures are restricted to only turning 60 degrees at time while in mid-movement)

Last edited by platimus; 10-12-2018 at 02:26 PM.
platimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #52
platimus
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: behind you
Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
The rules for mounted combat in TFT are very detailed, with a rider able to have a different facing than the mount, as well as being able to get dismounted. My problem is I play with miniatures, and they are all one piece and glued. Plus most mounted models don't have a dismounted version of them either. This would make it hard to act out the rules as written.

I was wondering if any of you have come up with some alternate rules for dealing with mounted figures. An easy solution might be to just treat them as a whole fighter, similar to a large create like a Centaur or Troll. It would basically be all or nothing with them. That's kind of the way I'm leaning right now.
Changing tack on this, keep your mounted minis intact. Forget facing and leaning rules for the rider. He can attack into the hexes adjacent to the side of the horse (3 on each side) if he has a weapon on that side (in that hand). Consider the rider to be in the horse's front hex for purposes of horse-side and horse-rear hex attacks (attackers need reach-2). Done.
platimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #53
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Changing tack on this, keep your mounted minis intact. Forget facing and leaning rules for the rider. He can attack into the hexes adjacent to the side of the horse (3 on each side) if he has a weapon on that side (in that hand). Consider the rider to be in the horse's front hex for purposes of horse-side and horse-rear hex attacks (attackers need reach-2). Done.
This solves the "my miniatures can't show the rider turned in the saddle" issue, but it just spreads that problem with the miniature to the game, creating a whole side where the rider can't fight anyone on that side, which is a huge disadvantage.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #54
platimus
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: behind you
Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
This solves the "my miniatures can't show the rider turned in the saddle" issue, but it just spreads that problem with the miniature to the game, creating a whole side where the rider can't fight anyone on that side, which is a huge disadvantage.
The rider is still sitting on a rather large advantage, literally. Realistically, if your sword (or even spear) is in your right hand, attacking something on the left side of the horse is going to be quite difficult if not impossible. Plus, this restriction might help with the "teleporting horse" problem a little bit. The rider now has to plot his attack runs a little more intelligently.

But, hey, I'm willing to let the rider attack to either side. There's no need to indicate facing or leaning for that.

Last edited by platimus; 10-12-2018 at 10:10 PM.
platimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:31 AM   #55
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
But, hey, I'm willing to let the rider attack to either side. There's no need to indicate facing or leaning for that.
You do joist ahead and to the shield side.
__________________
-HJC
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #56
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
The rider is still sitting on a rather large advantage, literally. Realistically, if your sword (or even spear) is in your right hand, attacking something on the left side of the horse is going to be quite difficult if not impossible. Plus, this restriction might help with the "teleporting horse" problem a little bit. The rider now has to plot his attack runs a little more intelligently.

But, hey, I'm willing to let the rider attack to either side. There's no need to indicate facing or leaning for that.
"This represents the riderís ability to lean different ways in the
stirrups, guide his animal to one side, etc."
Etc. would include how some people can bend at the knees, hips, and through the torso, and move their arm left of center, perhaps while standing in stirrups and/or angling the horse even if officially it is unable to leave its hexes.

Check out this image of a woman casually shooting a bow from horseback at a backward angle with her hips still facing mostly forward. Or this one.

Here are some examples of fighting with one-handed swords and axes on the left side of the horse, showing bodies not turned nearly as far as they could be, or in some cases, not bothering to turn at all:
https://www.britishbattles.com/wp-co.../11/img359.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a8/bf...dd784ff2ee.jpg
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...59c4c545de3f-c
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/swor...t-61276738.jpg
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...d-Fighting.jpg
https://previews.123rf.com/images/va...festival-a.jpg
http://www.ecns.cn/hd/2017/05/31/946...aef3d3ab81.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8031/7...4c85aa7e_b.jpg

If that's not convincing, try sitting in a chair, and without even moving your knees from facing forward, turn, see how easy it is to bring your arm around about 120 degrees to the other side from forward. Now imagine you're also allowed to stand in the "saddle" a bit and adjust the horse you're on.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #57
platimus
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: behind you
Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

I was already convinced but thanks for the examples. This is how I actually wanted to play it. I had suggested playing it this way before if not here then in another thread but thought it might be too "generous" or "loosy-goosy".

Thanks again!
platimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #58
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

One thing I recall from the historical accounts is awe at expert horsemen doing all sorts of crazy stuff on horseback.

No skill: front hex of the horse, straight forwards.

Horseman: front hex of horse, lean one hexside left or right.

Expert: Anywhere on the horse in whatever direction you like.
__________________
-HJC
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.