Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-20-2020, 03:45 AM   #1
bocephus

Default Some confusion about DFRPG books/supplements

First let me say DF wasnt really a thing for me till I realized that the way I run GURPS 'fantasy settings' is largely a mix of GURPS and DF ...

I have started looking into deeper into DF, and I have bought a few books that were useful to me as aids. Specifically DF Companion (1) and DF 8: Treasure Tables. Ive looked over some of the other supplements some might be helpful some arent for me.
example I dont feel the need for templates for instance, that locked in progression is one of the big reasons I stopped running D&D so many moons ago and they are WAY to high point value for most games I run.

I just started looking into the traps part of the Companion (to see what spice I could throw inot an encounter) and now Im confused by the reference to the "source book". It says "Adventurers pg 116" but when I go on Warehouse 23 and look at DF Adventurers it only has 31 pages.

I see that the Box set has a book that apparently the same title and has 128 pages (Im guessing this is it) . Its not a super big deal cause I will probably pick up the 5 book core set if I can ever find it here, in Germany (I dont want B/W Print on demand version I want the actual color stuff). Im just curious what the difference is between the apparently 128pg Adventurers book and the 20ish smaller supplements ....

Are the supplements reprints of sections of the source book, or additions, or whats in the core book that isnt in the supplements (besides pg 116 hehheh)?

Why no difference in title? (I almost bought the supplement which would have been useless for this purpose). The only indicator seems to be a number. Like DF 1: Adventurers is not DF: Adventurers.

Are there any other book/supplement name crossovers I should be aware of before I start considering a purchase?

Last is a side question, are the current box sets actually color print or was that only for the kickstarter and I will end up with B/W stuff?

Im still angry about buying a 4e Magic that was not a color version, indexing sucks without it, because Amazon.de wasn't specific and only had a picture of the cover. I kept it but I'm really harboring a grudge that refreshes every time I pull it out to use it or talk about it... therapy may be in order
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:08 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Some confusion about DFRPG books/supplements

There are two different game lines.

1) GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is based on GURPS 4th Edition game line and requires the GURPS 4th Edition Basic Set and GURPS Magic supplements to get full use out of.

2) The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is a self contained RPG. DFRPG takes portions of the GURPS Basic Set, GURPS Magic, and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1-3 and rewrites, streamlines, and combines them into a self-contained Box Set. The Box Set contains five books: Adventurers (character creation), Exploits (GM rules), Spells, Monsters, and I Smell A Rat (a first adventure).

While the two game lines use the same rules base, the DFRPG line is designed to be self-contained, so any page references will be entirely within that game line while the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line is based on the larger GURPS game line and may require any number of books from that line (but always at least the Basic Set, Magic, and Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers).

Basically, if it the title of the book says only Dungeon Fantasy and it has the logo Dungeon Fantasy Powered by GURPS it is a Dungeon Fantasy RPG supplement. If the title says GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and it has some variant of the GURPS Logo then it is a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
Are there any other book/supplement name crossovers I should be aware of before I start considering a purchase?
Check the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game pages for a complete listing of supplements that belong to each game line.

Quote:
Last is a side question, are the current box sets actually color print or was that only for the kickstarter and I will end up with B/W stuff?
The Box Set was Kickstarted twice. Most of the available Box Sets came from the second kickstarter (though a few may may be from the first). Both Kickstarters were full color in all the books, maps, and cardboard heroes. These were limited stock; in fact Warehouse 23 currently has only three left. If you want to get one you might want to get one now, because they won't be available for long.

They made several DFRPG books available through the GURPS On Demand program, which you can order through Amazon. I expect that these are all Black and White, but have not ordered any of them so cannot say for sure.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
bocephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
There are two different game lines. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is based on GURPS 4th Edition game line and requires the GURPS 4th Edition Basic Set and GURPS Magic supplements to get full use out of.
I really appreciate you taking the time to explain... I will be forthright and say originally I was more confused by the above text, but after hitting the links and seeing what you were talking about I figured out what you were saying.

DFRPG is intended to be a smaller more compact system that is a more accessible system that can be easier picked up and used with no knowledge of GURPS. Verses "GURPS dungeon fantasy", which are more supplements for GURPS users to streamline play into a similar play style without losing all the mechanics of GURPS. (which also means this thread really doesnt belong here but in the GURPS forum, now that I understand this)

Quote:
Check the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game pages for a complete listing of supplements that belong to each game line.
Ok I think I see... so this arose because Companion is a DFRPG and the DF8: Treasures is a GURPS DF and I was treating them as being from the same "core".
People using DFRPG dont have the same view of the 'depth / mechanics' and that's sort of by design to make it differently accessible.

Quote:
They made several DFRPG books available through the GURPS On Demand program, which you can order through Amazon. I expect that these are all Black and White, but have not ordered any of them so cannot say for sure.
I have found no exception to the on demand being ONLY black and white. just FYI.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
DFRPG is intended to be a smaller more compact system that is a more accessible system that can be easier picked up and used with no knowledge of GURPS. Verses "GURPS dungeon fantasy", which are more supplements for GURPS users to streamline play into a similar play style without losing all the mechanics of GURPS.
Pretty much, yes. The entire thing started out as GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, then after it had some success as a GURPS line they decided to re-release it as a standalone game, the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, Powered By GURPS.

Both game lines are still seeing new support, and given that they both use the underlying GURPS rules the supplements can be used with one-another pretty easily. The biggest issue is the one you had, where supplements are going to point you to the main books of it's own game line, so if you don't have access to the core sets of both it can cause some issues with being able to follow the references.

Quote:
(which also means this thread really doesn't belong here but in the GURPS forum, now that I understand this)
Honestly, it's not bad that it's here. Given your confusion I can imagine that other people could be confused by it as well.

Quote:
Ok I think I see... so this arose because Companion is a DFRPG and the DF8: Treasures is a GURPS DF and I was treating them as being from the same "core".
Correct on all counts.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
The Box Set was Kickstarted twice. Most of the available Box Sets came from the second kickstarter (though a few may may be from the first). Both Kickstarters were full color in all the books, maps, and cardboard heroes. These were limited stock; in fact Warehouse 23 currently has only three left. If you want to get one you might want to get one now, because they won't be available for long.
I'm showing that there are still some available in the distribution channel - presumably if W23 needs more, we'll get them from our Atlanta warehouse.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
tbone

To the OP: I think your questions have been answered. But in case you or future visitors want to read a bit more about the connections & differences between GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game:

I take a shot at answering the same sort of question in this thread (mid-page, post #99). (Similar blather on my site here.)

Kromm then responds to the above thread (post #100), adding more specific notes on exactly what parts of the DF line were pulled into DFRPG, and some meta-level design considerations. You'll probably find his comments pretty interesting!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:19 AM   #7
Tom H.

There are many really useful responses here already.

I would just like to clarify a bit regarding this perspective:
Quote:
People using DFRPG dont have the same view of the 'depth / mechanics' and that's sort of by design to make it differently accessible.
While some simplifications were made to DFRPG, the underlying mechanics still stay very true to standard GURPS.

One major simplifying factor of the self-contained DFRPG is that it no longer had to account for extra generic rules that would not apply to the Cinematic Fantasy genre.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
beetle496

I got DFRPG Companion (the first one) with the recent $135 bundle in honor of Companion 2. It is B&W interior only. Are they all like that or do I have a POD version? (Companion 2 is in full color.)
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
I got DFRPG Companion (the first one) with the recent $135 bundle in honor of Companion 2. It is B&W interior only. Are they all like that or do I have a POD version? (Companion 2 is in full color.)
That book is only in B&W. It is not a color book.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
beetle496

Wow that is a quick answer! Thanks! Everything is so glorious, and weeks ahead of schedule! I was not expecting the cardboard heroes to be so thick/heavy. My high expectations were all exceeded! Plus a little extra notebook!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote