Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-01-2020, 02:49 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Autoduel Tales

We have released the collected fiction of Autoduel Quarterly in both print and PDF:

* Print - https://www.amazon.com/dp/155634886X...evejacksongame

* PDF - http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...on-of-car-wars
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
LokRobster

Default Re: Autoduel Tales

Picked this up yesterday, I for sure appreciate the compilation.
I’ve got all the ADQs (thanks to a KicKStarter), bit it’s cool to have this slick pdf with the art/text all in one place. I know I’ve read maybe half of these over the years, but this is great.

Just starting the first page of the first story is amazing.

ELMAY and a description of “$1 letters” is so fun, a decade before most of us started saying “email”.

And the first main character is an “Effie”. A Field Engineer... we say “eff-Ee” these days, but that’s my actual job title; Carrying tools and fixing machines.

Smiles and enjoyment from the first page. Thanks y’all!

Last edited by LokRobster; 04-02-2020 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Usual typos, probably There’s More I didn’t catch
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
C. J. Burke

I was happy to hear this came out, and I even got to mention it at a panel I was on today at the virtual HeliosphereNY.

(I didn't have a copy to show, so I held up the ADQ with my story on the cover.)
C. J. Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Terquem

I did not get in on the KS, But I intend to buy into the game as soon as I can.

About fiction, I have a question. Is the setting and fiction from the past editions (early ADQ fiction specifically) greatly different from the setting and "stories" we might see that are part of 6th edition?
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
Is the setting and fiction from the past editions (early ADQ fiction specifically) greatly different from the setting and "stories" we might see that are part of 6th edition?
I would say no.

The Kickstarter backers received a preliminary copy of the rules. At the beginning there was the standard timeline of events we are used to seeing. The main difference is that they occur a bit farther into the future than earlier editions.

It appears they need to keep pushing the timeline into the future as real time passes so that we don't disbelieve events that obviously didn't occur.

The truth is that I was a bit surprised that the setting didn't go in a new creative direction.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
The truth is that I was a bit surprised that the setting didn't go in a new creative direction.
Not sure where it can go that would do more than what's come before. Basically, "Sometime in the future there are cars with guns - start your engines."
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
baakyocalder

For a car combat game, I don't need a ton of backstory. The same principle as an action movie I'm watching for fun applies--give me just enough to get me into the action and know what cool stuff is going to happen. Then also make sure I'm not going to look at the action and go 'what that's stupid?'

Thus, I see the art as more important than a timeline. Steve Jackson Games has been good at sharing the art--we got some art links during FnordCon 2.

For a roleplaying setting so we can have more than just a miniatures game, I hope there's more development. I'll have to pick up Autoduel Tales before I get all my cars and dive back into the game's history. . .

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote