Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
b-dog

Default Partial Spirit

I would have liked demons, angels, djinn, fairies and some undead to have been more of a partial spirit than what is in DF. The idea is that these monsters are not truly solid matter, instead they are a mixture of material and spirit. This means that they need magical weapons to hit them directly. Mundane items may briefly cause knock back but they don’t really harm them. The partial spirits need to have some sort of enchantment to be harmed. Like maybe a lich is in a cave and the ceiling collapses, maybe it is unharmed ( no hit point loss) but pinned by the rocks until he can free himself. The lich would be hurt by a magical weapon though.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Partial Spirit

There a few decent ways of doing this.

My middle-ground approach would be to treat them as if they were Diffuse, then either say magical weapons can bypass Diffuse or that they have a Vulnerability to magical weapons. That'll severely lower most damage, but leave them vulnerable to some mundane attacks that are area affects, cones, and explosions.

Supernatural Durability is another decent middle-ground candidate. The partial-spirit would either have to sustain a ton of mundane damage or be slain by the object (magical weapons in this case) of the baked-in Vulnerability.

Of course, you could also throw on a lot of Damage Resistance and/or Damage Reduction that can be bypassed by magical weapons.

Or you could call them partially Insubstantial! Well, actually... DFRPG doesn't define Insubstantial in mechanical terms, but the rules are easy enough to port over from GURPS (and the Ethereal Body somewhat covers the idea).

So, I'd go with some mix of Diffuse (ignored by magical weapons or alongside a Vulnerability to magical weapons), Supernatural Durability (with its Vulnerability to magical weapons), Damage Resistance (ignored by magical weapons), and Damage Reduction (ignored by magical weapons). All of those would allow for them to take knockback as well as be pinned but (mostly) unharmed by rocks.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
Dalin

Default Re: Partial Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
My middle-ground approach would be to treat them as if they were Diffuse, then either say magical weapons can bypass Diffuse or that they have a Vulnerability to magical weapons. That'll severely lower most damage, but leave them vulnerable to some mundane attacks that are area affects, cones, and explosions.
I like this idea of diffuse except against magical weapons. Feels quite appropriate for some types of foes.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote