Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Tessen

Default Craziest (Real!) place you've played in or at.

Mine's probably quite boring but I've played in the woods , in daylight that's it. But I bet some of you Gurps fans have played in some odd places with some other strange people.

U boat Submarine ? , top of the alps , mortuary! , what's the craziest oddest place you've rpg'ed in?
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Craziest (Real!) place you've played in or at.

Back of a 15 passenger van with family on a road trip. That's as exotic as it gets.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
bocephus

Out in the desert waiting to roll into Iraq during Desert Storm and afterwards when we had a chunk of down time as well. We had a GURPS basic 3e and since we kept losing the dice, often the GM would just "decide" what you rolled or we would play odds/even or draw number cards from a regular deck. Ace was 14, 2 was 15 and the three off color face cards were 16, 17, 18.

That book was so covered in 100mph tape, I'm fairly sure it had value as a ballistic shield
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Rolando

A jungle, a park late at night in a small town, and the beach are the most exotic places I have played.

Books hate damp places, I have put mine to some terrible use in my younger years.

Where I live is so damp that even playing in a porch make the pages all wavy... Imagine how it was in a jungle. But it was great experience, it was a Banestorm adventure, in the Ring Islands, the place was perfect for the mood.

The park one was a Cyberpunk 2020 game, we where being too noisy and had to go outside to the park to play to not bother the neighbors.

The game in the beach was also Banestorm but nothing related to beaches, it just happen we where at the beach.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
Dalin

I've enjoyed some great RPG sessions in weird spots over the years:
  • Many wilderness games while camping or backpacking, often lacking books or dice. (We have made randomizers out of countless found objects.)
  • On the open roof of the elevator shaft on top of a skyscraper in Singapore (long, long ago!).
  • An AD&D Ravenloft game in an upper-story apartment in that same Singapore skyscraper in a corner bedroom with two walls of windows during a typhoon when the power went out.
  • A Halloween Call of Cthulhu game in the unfinished crawlspace beneath a decrepit house in Oakland where we had to shimmy across a board over a pit and then sit around a candlelit crate on the dirt floor with spiders galore. Ultra creepy.
  • Socially distanced in my backyard yesterday despite there being ice on the ground. (Temps eventually rose to 36°F... I was having trouble turning the pages of my DFRPG books because my fingers were so cold.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
mstlaurent

We never actually played when we were on the sub, but I was running a GURPS campaign for a couple of guys on the boat and we talked about it a lot while we were on board.

(Amusingly, I was stationed on the USS City of Corpus Christi. The Last Submarine.)
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
RyanW

Hmm. Wonder if the USS North Carolina would allow sessions...
Old 11-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #8
Dalin

I dimly recall someone on these forums, or perhaps the older Pyramid boards, who played regularly on a naval ship. It sounded pretty cool!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:35 AM   #9
sjard
Stick in the Mud

<Moderator>
Moved to Roleplaying in General as it does not seem appropriate for the GURPS subforum.

Additionally, it is probably content better suited to a personal blog, but I'll let this continue for the time being.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Black Leviathan

It wasn't GURPS but we played a game on a bird sanctuary. I brought a game to play with a friend when we went to a canoe camp together. Our troop got caught in a current and had to take refuge on a Federally protected bird sanctuary for 48 hours, just a tiny island in the channel that maybe only a dozen other humans had set foot on. We were hiding under a tarp in a downpour playing TMNT all night.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote