Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Adelus

Default [RPM] (Temporary) Enchanted Items that grant Spell-like use?

I was wondering how to model making magic items in Ritual Path Magic that grant someone spell-like abilities, or the ability to use a spell through the item with more reliability, at least as long as the spell lasts from how much energy was spent on duration.

The method I was thinking so far was not to model it as giving the item any actual spells, but using Altered Traits on the item to give it an advantage/Power that encompasses the effect you want, along with Compartmentalized Mind (Dedicated Controls) in order to give someone holding the item control of it.

For example, here is a charm that gives whoever holds it a better reaction from the opposite sex:

Base advantage: Charisma 3 (Only on opposite sex, -10%; Same Race only, -20%) [11]

Altered Traits [36]:
Affliction (Advantage (Charisma 3), +110%; Aura, +80%; Melee Attack: Cannot Parry, -5%; Melee Attack: Reach C, -30%) [26] + Compartmentalized Mind (Dedicated Controls, *1/5) [10]

Putting this together as a Ritual...

Love Charm
Lesser Control Magic[5]
Lesser/Greater Control Mind[5]
Altered Traits: 36 [36] (Affliction (Advantage (Charisma 3), +110%; Aura, +80%; Melee Attack: Cannot Parry, -5%; Melee Attack: Reach C, -30%) [26] + Compartmentalized Mind (Dedicated Controls, *1/5) [10]);
Subject Weight: 10 lbs. [0].
Cost: 46 (138 if Greater Control Mind)

I figure you could model charged items by giving them Costs FP and including an Energy Reserve with a special/no recharge, and could tweak the duration of the underlying affliction/advantage for modifiers like Minimum/Maximum duration.

Does this seem like a good way to go about doing things? Am I making any leaps here?

Last edited by Adelus; 02-13-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
munin

Default Re: [RPM] (Temporary) Enchanted Items that grant Spell-like use?

Compartmentalized Mind (Dedicated Controls) is for things built as characters. If you just want something you can pick up and have the ability, build the ability with gadget limitations. Then anyone who has the gadget has the ability (no Affliction, no Controls, etc.).

With RPM, you can cast a spell which grants someone Altered Traits which happen to be built with gadget limitations. If it has Can Be Stolen, then it can be passed around if needed, but it can also be stolen by your foes. If it has Breakable, then it can be "dispelled" with mundane methods (e.g., a sword). You might even allow Unique, for a setting where spells can never be repeated (e.g., the Blue Adept setting).

And of course RPM already has charms which grant the effects of a spell only after the subject activates them.
munin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Refplace

Are you making a love charm that allows the bearer to use Mind Control?
You do not need Affliction for that using RPM.
I use Controls for Afflictions and have suggested it to others but in this case I do not feel it is needed.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Adelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
With RPM, you can cast a spell which grants someone Altered Traits which happen to be built with gadget limitations. If it has Can Be Stolen, then it can be passed around if needed, but it can also be stolen by your foes. If it has Breakable, then it can be "dispelled" with mundane methods (e.g., a sword). You might even allow Unique, for a setting where spells can never be repeated (e.g., the Blue Adept setting).
Ahhh. So a better way to go about it would be...

Love Charm
Lesser/Greater Control Mind[5](),
Lesser Control Magic[5]();
Altered Traits: 3 [3] (Charisma 3 (Accessibility (Only on opposite sex), -10%; Accessibility (Only on same race), -20%; Gadget/Breakable: Cannot repair, -15%; Gadget/Breakable: DR 2 or less, -20%; Gadget/Breakable: Size -9 or less, +0%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Can only be taken by stealth or trickery, -20%; Resistable (Will-5), -5%)).
Cost: 13 (39 for Greater Control Mind)

Substantially cheaper, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Are you making a love charm that allows the bearer to use Mind Control?
You do not need Affliction for that using RPM.
I use Controls for Afflictions and have suggested it to others but in this case I do not feel it is needed.
Moreso its just a charm that gives the bearer three levels of Charisma, but exclusively for the opposite sex of the same race. Which makes me wonder now if I should add in that the Charisma, being magical, requires a roll vs. Will...

Last edited by Adelus; 02-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
Ahhh. So a better way to go about it would be...

Love Charm
Lesser/Greater Control Mind[5](),
Lesser Control Magic[5]();
Altered Traits: 3 [3] (Charisma 3 (Accessibility (Only on opposite sex), -10%; Accessibility (Only on same race), -20%; Gadget/Breakable: Cannot repair, -15%; Gadget/Breakable: DR 2 or less, -20%; Gadget/Breakable: Size -9 or less, +0%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Can only be taken by stealth or trickery, -20%; Resistable (Will-5), -5%)).
Cost: 13 (39 for Greater Control Mind)

Substantially cheaper, too.

Moreso its just a charm that gives the bearer three levels of Charisma, but exclusively for the opposite sex of the same race. Which makes me wonder now if I should add in that the Charisma, being magical, requires a roll vs. Will...
Yep- this looks about right; cast spell; creates charm, wearer gets charisma +3; downside would be that as long as they are wearing the charm they can't benefit from any other control mind spells.

On the other hand the RPM fairy godmother absolutely can make mice into coachmen, a tattered dress look beautiful, and a pumpkin into a coach all with the limitation 'only until midnight' with 'stock' RPM.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Walrus

Quote:
Which makes me wonder now if I should add in that the Charisma, being magical, requires a roll vs. Will...
Glamour limitation from Powers, of course.

Actually for love charm I'd go with Appearance at the first place.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

What's the problem exactly with the existing rules for charms? Duration? Why not just allow Fetishes (as per Path magic) as well?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Adelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What's the problem exactly with the existing rules for charms? Duration? Why not just allow Fetishes (as per Path magic) as well?
I don't recall having a problem with the duration issues in the context of this thread.

That said, I find the use of bound spirits for permanent magic items in the vein of Path/Book's fetishes very goo for a hint of dark magic. It gives incentive for summoning dark powers or imprisoning innocents to power infernal devices.

Then again, you could summon appropriate, aspected entities as well. How would you balance a willing fetish (that won't go ballistic when it gets free)?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I don't recall having a problem with the duration issues in the context of this thread.
Then what is the the problem exactly? Why go through all this trouble instead of just making a charm that gives +3 to reaction rolls or whatever in the first place? This seems like a solution in search of a problem, to me. I suspect I'm missing something.

Quote:
Then again, you could summon appropriate, aspected entities as well.
Well, yeah that's generally the idea. If I want to make a fire staff I'll bind a fire spirit, right?
Quote:
How would you balance a willing fetish (that won't go ballistic when it gets free)?
Through the energy expensive multi-ritual (a summoning, a binding, and a shaping) approach that it takes to do this, and the reaction roll from the spirit.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #10
BaHalus

why so expensive? Appearance just for the opposite sex costs only 2/level
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enchantment, magic, ritual, ritual path magic, rpm