Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 10-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #71
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Stuff I'd like to see in Pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett
The Golden Pshent himself does come across as something of a ridiculous figure, but I was going more for pathos than comedy. I think it worked fine.
I liked that article, and I think you captured the desired mood... however, in defense of griffin's point, the title was suggestive (to me) more of the comical, as in 'humorous' rather than as in 'related to comic books'. Pshent may not be familiar to many potential readers (I had to look it up, myself), and may be dismissed as a nonsensical word.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #72
Stormcrow

Quote:
An _explanation_ mark? Now THAT's funny ;)
What’s that supposed to be, a new name for the
interrobang

Last edited by Stormcrow; 10-03-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #73
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
I liked that article, and I think you captured the desired mood... however, in defense of griffin's point, the title was suggestive (to me) more of the comical, as in 'humorous' rather than as in 'related to comic books'. Pshent may not be familiar to many potential readers (I had to look it up, myself), and may be dismissed as a nonsensical word.
Okay. Would you have thought it comical if it was the Golden Scarab or Golden Pharaoh instead? In retrospect, I'm wondering if Pshent was the best word choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow
What’s that supposed to be, a new name for the interrobang
LOL!

Oddly enough, my wife the Linguist told me about interrobangs this very morning while talking about this very thread.
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #74
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Would you have thought it comical if it was the Golden Scarab or Golden Pharaoh instead? In retrospect, I'm wondering if Pshent was the best word choice.
Regarding Scarab/Pharaoh: Either of those choices would likely have made the Egyptian connection apparent to more readers. The comical inference I drew was due to a combination of the (apparently) nonsensical word and the placing of the exclamation mark. The absence of the latter would have prompted me to pick up my dictionary right away, instead of after reading the article, but some people might have just seen it as a turn-off... dunno. Stylistically (speaking as a non-writer here, but as one who appreciates the craft), I'd say that it would probably be better to avoid words In The Title that might be unknown to many readers, for those reasons. No real harm in expecting people to do a little legwork once they're involved (though even then, it's a nice gesture to provide a footnote), but you want to make sure you draw them in first. JMO, as usual.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #75
Stormcrow

Upon seeing the title, I too thought The Dark Reign of the Golden Pshent! would be comedic. However, I caught on to the article’s pathos right away.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #76
Greg 1

Quote:
Okay. Would you have thought it comical if it was the Golden Scarab or Golden Pharaoh instead? In retrospect, I'm wondering if Pshent was the best word choice.
I would have been less likely to think it comical. My reaction was based on a combination of the fact that I didn't know the word, that its a funny-sounding word, and that there was an exclamation mark.

It was a case of me jumping to the wrong conclusion out of ignorance, but "Pharaoh" or "Scarab" might have served you better.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #77
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Here are some things I'd like to see in Pyramid:
One thing I'd like to see in Pyramid is an update issue. Focus on updating old 3e articles to GURPS 4e. This is especially true of adventures.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote