Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
corwyn

Default Familiar ER

So I have a mage with an ER and a familiar with Fit that grants me an ER that drains his fatigue. The Mage has Recover Energy and Lend Energy at 20.

Lend Energy can't be used on an ER directly
The familiar recovers his fatigue normally at 1/5 minutes

If I cast lend energy on my familiar to restore his fatigue, does that recover my granted ER?
If not, once the familiar is at full fatigue, would the ER recover at my normal rate (1/2 minutes)?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Familiar ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
So I have a mage with an ER and a familiar with Fit that grants me an ER that drains his fatigue. The Mage has Recover Energy and Lend Energy at 20.

Lend Energy can't be used on an ER directly
The familiar recovers his fatigue normally at 1/5 minutes

If I cast lend energy on my familiar to restore his fatigue, does that recover my granted ER?
If not, once the familiar is at full fatigue, would the ER recover at my normal rate (1/2 minutes)?
If your talking about ER with the Drains Familiar limitation my reading is that it does exactly that. It drains the familiars FP as you USE your ER, hence your ER is cheaper to purchase. It does not fill up any faster, regardless of your familiars status.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
corwyn

So that sounds like it always recovers at 1/2 minutes but my familiar has to deal with the repercussions of lost fatigue.

So, say my familiar has 12 fatigue. I have access to a 6 point ER from it. I use all of it and rest 12 minutes. The ER is at max and my familiar is at 8 fat (having recovered 2 with Fit). I can then use all 6, reducing it to 2?

But I'm sure that's not right.

Then there's this:

"This ER recharges at the same rate that your familiar recovers FP; this means your ER does not recover while your familiar is unable to rest!"

So what happens if I fully restore its fatigue with Lend Energy? It's still a living creature, so I'm pretty sure I can do that but it is no longer missing fatigue that it needs to recover.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
So that sounds like it always recovers at 1/2 minutes but my familiar has to deal with the repercussions of lost fatigue.

So, say my familiar has 12 fatigue. I have access to a 6 point ER from it. I use all of it and rest 12 minutes. The ER is at max and my familiar is at 8 fat (having recovered 2 with Fit). I can then use all 6, reducing it to 2?

But I'm sure that's not right.

Then there's this:

"This ER recharges at the same rate that your familiar recovers FP; this means your ER does not recover while your familiar is unable to rest!"

So what happens if I fully restore its fatigue with Lend Energy? It's still a living creature, so I'm pretty sure I can do that but it is no longer missing fatigue that it needs to recover.
If you fully restore its FP, I guess it means you get all your ER back too. Though note that you wouldn't be able to do the first part.
Basically your getting -90% (mx-80%) between Granted By Familiar and Drains Familiar but that ER is totally dependent on the familiar.
  • The familiar has to be nearby and ableto lend its power
  • The familiar has to have FP and you can only use the amount of ER your willing to drain from your familiars FP
  • Your ER only recovers when your familiar recovers FP. Essentially ts not energy your storing but a way to model energy you borrow when you use the ability.
Its really cheap ER at 1 point/level instead of 3/level but heavily restricted as well.
Your going to also want ER not under this limitation.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 12-06-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Technically 0.6 CP/ER, as you round the final cost, not the leveled cost.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
corwyn

It's actually 1.5 since the ER doesn't get GBF.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:08 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
It's actually 1.5 since the ER doesn't get GBF.
Yeah thats an interpretation and you may very well be right.
Its only -10% more though so seems a bit heavy if its included. I think the in addition to is referencing it gets both though.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 12-06-2020, 11:34 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Why does ER not get GBF? In Thaumatology (p. 50), it talks about mages purchasing FP with GBF, so why not ER?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:46 PM   #9
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Why does ER not get GBF? In Thaumatology (p. 50), it talks about mages purchasing FP with GBF, so why not ER?
Beats me, I got the stats from DF 5: Allies. Is there an actual write-up for familiars anywhere else? I looked in Thaumatology, Magic, Fantasy, and Banestorm.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:49 PM   #10
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah thats an interpretation and you may very well be right.
Its only -10% more though so seems a bit heavy if its included. I think the in addition to is referencing it gets both though.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The only familiar write-up I've found is in DF Allies. In there, ER only gets Drains familiar [-50%].

Tags
drains familiar, granted by familiar